Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Government to partly redress 13 years of chronic Tory underfunding of the NHS

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Government to partly redress 13 years of chronic Tory underfunding of the NHS

Who's been underpaying the NHS staff for the last 13 years?

Indeed, 13 years... interesting benchmark. Wasn't New Labour PM Gordon Brown hugely profligate with spending on NHS - having ended Tory boom and bust and all that?

By Momentum standards, perhaps GB was a Red Tory?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Anyone who votes Tory is by definition anti-NHS so trying to sound all smug now simply doesn't cut it. May is the queen of NHS cuts.

Theresa "The Razor" May.

useful contribution. ????

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
So you all believe that there are 33,000 fewer nurses working in NHS hospitals than last year? Really??

And yes, he clearly tried to suggest that was the case.

The facts about nursing numbers (and NHS staff in general), while still acknowledging the huge pressures our NHS is facing with a growing and aging population, are somewhat different.

"The full time equivalent (FTE) NHS Workforce total was 1,057,900 in December 2017. This is 18,835 (1.8 per cent) more than in December 2016 (1,039,065)."

https://digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB30240

I was just laughing at you asking [MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION] what his source was when it was in your OP. Priceless!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah and the far more important job of being an MP gets a 16% pay rise [emoji20]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
sauce?

Here are some real numbers... https://digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB30240

So you all believe that there are 33,000 fewer nurses working in NHS hospitals than last year? Really??

And yes, he clearly tried to suggest that was the case.

The facts about nursing numbers (and NHS staff in general), while still acknowledging the huge pressures our NHS is facing with a growing and aging population, are somewhat different.

"The full time equivalent (FTE) NHS Workforce total was 1,057,900 in December 2017. This is 18,835 (1.8 per cent) more than in December 2016 (1,039,065)."

https://digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB30240

May I suggest you go and have a lie down?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah and the far more important job of being an MP gets a 16% pay rise [emoji20]

Thing is the role of Member of Parliament IS extremely important, and frankly, on the face of it is not very well paid. They're supposed to be governing the nation, yet are earning less (in actual salary terms) than a village GP.

If they were working (and I mean working - actually turning up at Parliament for something resembling full time hours, attending all the debates and votes) properly and solely in the interests of their constituents and society in general, then they'd be well deserving of that pay rise.

If, however, they are in the position to raise their profile and influence, doing three highly-paid city consultancy 'jobs' on the side, taking money from lobbying groups to raise non-issues in the House, creaming off a second-home subsidy when their constituency is down the road, employing three of their relations as 'researchers', and fiddling the **** out of their expenses, then they can do one...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Thing is the role of Member of Parliament IS extremely important, and frankly, on the face of it is not very well paid. They're supposed to be governing the nation, yet are earning less (in actual salary terms) than a village GP.

If they were working (and I mean working - actually turning up at Parliament for something resembling full time hours, attending all the debates and votes) properly and solely in the interests of their constituents and society in general, then they'd be well deserving of that pay rise.

If, however, they are in the position to raise their profile and influence, doing three highly-paid city consultancy 'jobs' on the side, taking money from lobbying groups to raise non-issues in the House, creaming off a second-home subsidy when their constituency is down the road, employing three of their relations as 'researchers', and fiddling the **** out of their expenses, then they can do one...
Sitting in parliament getting pissed all day and doing quite frankly **** all to help anyone doesn't deserve a pay rise

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Government to partly redress 13 years of chronic Tory underfunding of the NHS

Indeed, 13 years... interesting benchmark. Wasn't New Labour PM Gordon Brown hugely profligate with spending on NHS - having ended Tory boom and bust and all that?

By Momentum standards, perhaps GB was a Red Tory?

They were all red Tories that's how Blair got elected in the first place, and why Corbyn is the leader of the opposition now.

T'is a shame, here, like the rest of the 21st century (over exaggeration for effect) there no longer is room for liberal voices not interested in winning and losing, one-upmanship, and point scoring.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sitting in parliament getting pissed all day and doing quite frankly **** all to help anyone doesn't deserve a pay rise

Well obviously.

I wouldn't be advocating pay rises for nurses, if they weren't actually doing any work, either.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You're welcome.

But it wasn't supposed to be funny.

The proliferation of political point scoring threads on the site has got really tedious IMO. Having moderators start them, is a step further down the line.

Your original thread title, cheerleading, as it was, for one party, invited such point-scoring. I reversed it, just to make a point.

Feel free to change it back - I really won't care.

Hear hear. Titanic is the one of the biggest political sh!t stirrers on the site as it is. Making a mockery of himself though on this particular thread...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The selfish commies on this board will public applaud this news in many ways including Dave’s example above but inside will be feeling a little sick that the government are doing something positive, pushing their beloved Momentum further to the peripheries

How small minded and selfish, I applaud this step in the right direction. It isn't going to make up for the years of poor or non-existent rises which mean the many NHS staff,and indeed, millions of other low paid workers who have effectively had a pay cut due to stagnant wage growth compared to inflation.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I know a few Tory voters and none of them are anti-NHS, in fact quite the opposite. It’s good to see the announcement today - well deserved for all the hard working NHS workers who we sometimes take for granted. But where does “13 years” come from?

Started by Labour raping the country and leaving us potless

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
How small minded and selfish, I applaud this step in the right direction. It isn't going to make up for the years of poor or non-existent rises which mean the many NHS staff,and indeed, millions of other low paid workers who have effectively had a pay cut due to stagnant wage growth compared to inflation.

Maybe the Police and fireman also need looking at as well, they have suffered as well

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, you're right.. that was hilarious.

If I was you I'd apologise to Man of Sussex for what was a truly remarkable and huge gaffe on your part. We all make mistakes, just man up.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Damn straight. In fact, all public sector employees.

Don't forget, this may be a 6.5% increase, but it's over 3 years. That's a smite over 2% a year - and inflation is running at 3%, so it's still not a pay rise in real terms.

Think you will find inflation is a smite under 3%-try 2.7%.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
The selfish commies on this board will public applaud this news in many ways including Dave’s example above but inside will be feeling a little sick that the government are doing something positive, pushing their beloved Momentum further to the peripheries

I think most people who have the NHS at the forefront of their mind, would be happy whichever political party made it, it's priority.

Would appear that will never be the tories tho...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here