Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Concrete grinding ?? Floor covering

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Hello wise chimps of NSC

Re doing my kitchen, and would like to add underfloor heating - but i do not want raise the floor up by 10 - 20mm with the insulation boards etc

now the issue is the kitchen has a concrete floor - it is actually originally a veranda and a thick old block of 1950's concrete

It there any was to "grind-down" into the floor to maintain the existing level ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You could cold chisel out a hole to see what is the depth of concrete and how deep the damp proof course is, if it has one. This DPC will then have to sealed again if the hole has to be refilled.
If a good depth and easy to break up you could knock a few inches out by hand or with a jackhammer. Filthy dusty work but better option than a cold concrete floor. Then relevel the floor at reduced depth.

I'm a bodger not a builder and have same situation in utility room. Let me know what you do.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Hello wise chimps of NSC

Re doing my kitchen, and would like to add underfloor heating - but i do not want raise the floor up by 10 - 20mm with the insulation boards etc

now the issue is the kitchen has a concrete floor - it is actually originally a veranda and a thick old block of 1950's concrete

It there any was to "grind-down" into the floor to maintain the existing level ?

We’re having under floor heating (electric matting)
A 10mm insulation board seems a better option than chopping your floors out..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here