Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are Dualit toasters worth the money?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I get the desire to have a 4 slice toaster, but I defy anyone to tell the difference between the toast from a posh machine and a budget one!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surprised you bought one!

Hand Built In The UK ?

True, but under good guidance

“Dualit was founded in 1945 by the German-born inventor Max Gort-Barten ”

I buy whatever regardless of where it comes from. My shoes are British. My man bags are all British. My suitcases are all British. I have some British clothes and tons of British music. For these particular items British is best.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I get the desire to have a 4 slice toaster, but I defy anyone to tell the difference between the toast from a posh machine and a budget one!

It’s more the longevity of the toaster that’s the point. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Biker-Marty

Mar 15, 2018
If I am being Honest.

They appear to have the appeal as BMW's .
IE People who own one immediately expect everyone else to actually be impressed.

As far I can tell, they just burn bread.
Love toast, but seems to be paying premium, just for a name.

Just my Opinoin

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
It’s more the longevity of the toaster that’s the point. Buy cheap, buy twice.

We tend to buy about the £25-30 price for toasters/kettles/irons, and it's only the toaster that's not broken down so far. I get the point though re price v longevity.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have that exact model. Had it for years. Disappointed, tbh. I don’t find it toasts evenly at all - wouldn’t buy it again. I’ve often wondered about getting a glass-sided toaster - the ability to keep an eye on the amount of browning and pop it up at exactly the right moment appeals.

However, I really like my dualit kettles.

Edit: I guess to the toaster’s credit - it has, like HT’s, lasted for years and years.

Mrs W brought one from her previous marriage and it's been going for over 15 years now. BUT like you I'm very disappointed with it. Very uneven toasting and slices get easily stuck. It also drives me mad when someone turns off the slice switch, turns on the 'bun' switch and leaves it like that after. I get bored of finding my toast unevenly toasted ON ONLY ONE SIDE !!!! :censored::censored::rant::rant::angry::angry:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
£170 for a toaster...come on [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], its only toast!

I've had my Morphy Richards £35 4 slice toaster for 10 years and it is still doing the toast.

It did stop working once, but basically it had so many crumbs and stuff in the bottom, it was shorting the elements. Gave it a good clean out, and there was a huge amount of burnt bits of toast and crumbs etc. and it was fine, much to my wife's annoyance who wanted a new one. Any toaster needs clearing out once in a while.

Hilariously enough, I just showed my wife this thread about a £170 Dualit toaster and she said 'yeah that's what we're getting when the kitchen is finished!'...:facepalm:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Nothing short of phenomenal. Best toasters ever.
Also, with a bit of practice, you can bash the lever down to make the toast fly into the air which will make you look really cool if you catch it. You can also make a complete prat of yourself if it goes wrong...

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
It's not just a toaster but a design classic and will mark you out as a man of great taste. Mine is still going strong after15 years; only one element change in that time. Before the Dualit I seemed to be buying a new toaster every couple of years.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
It's not just a toaster but a design classic and will mark you out as a man of great taste. Mine is still going strong after15 years; only one element change in that time. Before the Dualit I seemed to be buying a new toaster every couple of years.

And there is the problem in a nutshell.
Buy a cheap supermarket toaster for £2.50 and you get about two quids worth of toaster.
A lesser toaster will merely turn the outside of the bread brown, whereas a Dualit actually cooks the bread, to make delicious toast. Real toast.
Some little pleasures in life are worth it.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Every toaster i have had has blown up within 4 years. Morphy Richards et al.

I am looking at a smeg or dualit..

given that you can get a decent toaster for a tenner, that means you can afford 17, or 68 years worth, for the price of the one that Bozza is looking at.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
given that you can get a decent toaster for a tenner, that means you can afford 17, or 68 years worth, for the price of the one that Bozza is looking at.

Why buy 17 toasters when you can get one beauty?
You cannot get a decent toaster for a tenner!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Toaster evangelisation! I've seen it all now. :ohmy:

I wouldn't buy a £10 toaster from Tesco because I've seen how my Dad's ones never last, but you also don't have to go to the premium end of the market to find a toaster that will last 15 years.

I've had two mid-price toasters (Morphy Richards and Kenwood), each cost £40 - £55 and have lasted as long as you'd expect from a Dualit.

Oh yeah and they really know how to heat bread.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why buy 17 toasters when you can get one beauty?
You cannot get a decent toaster for a tenner!

You can for £40. We had a Duralit 2 slice one that broke, so we gave it away as we wanted 4 slice anyway. Bought a Morphy Richards must be 8 maybe 10 years ago, and the £35 toaster has been doing great toast, muffins and bagels with no complaints for that time. But as I said before, wife wants a Duralit again now because it will look good on the new kitchen worktop - I don't think she gives a sh!t whether it does better toast or not. :lolol:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Have had that four toast version for about fifteen years. Gets used two three times daily. One element went this year, repaired at a local shop. Yes expensive to buy in first place but cost no more than replacing cheaper toasters as I did in the past. Wife still thinks it's a waste of money though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here