Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The future of faith: young people switched off?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
If you consider that there are, give or take a few, 5000 recognised deities in the world, you can't help but arrive at the conclusion that the human condition has done us all a disservice throughout time in hundreds of isolated pockets of civilisation all around the globe. What is it that we're looking for through this pattern of behaviour?

I don't believe in any of those deities, a christian doesn't believe in 4999 of them....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Some poor sods in the pacific pray to their god ...Prince Philip.
I swear, if you put a bunch of kids on an island, and raised them to believe that Rupert the Bear was God, they would believe it. Its conditioning for control.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another one not surprised. And it's not just the young - I'm nearly fifty and have gone from a light believer through agnostic to complete and utter non-believer. I think western world is gradually waking up to reality. What annoys me is that if someone believes in a God most people still think they're sane. Say you believe in unicorns and fairies and you're considered mad. Both are equally daft.

I think we all need “something” to believe in. If that’s a god then so be it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The growing Christian churches are what they call plant churches and are community based in their approach. I can see them taking over from the old churches which is a good thing as they are more about helping people and from what I can see do a lot of good. The older churches will die out, Christianity as whole will always be there, but will become a small minority faith. Islam I don't see shrinking at all; due to the racial and cultural segregation we have all over the UK so those communities are going to grow as will Islam due to Muslims having bigger families.

Truly amazing.They haven't actually included Italy !

Nor Greece, which is surprising.

I have seen baptisms of Muslims being converted to Christianity in Athens.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Some poor sods in the pacific pray to their god ...Prince Philip.
I swear, if you put a bunch of kids on an island, and raised them to believe that Rupert the Bear was God, they would believe it. Its conditioning for control.

condescending cockwomble you aren't ya.... seeing as 200 years ago there were only 200 million people on the planet and there are now approaching 8 billion i would say that any religion is now defunct as it would not promote that the human race should overrun , ruin , pollute , drive other species to extinction , gouge billions of tonnes of carbon out of the ground and pump it back into the air to produce energy and basically ruin the planet when , if we were smart the sun, wind and ocean can provide the same , .....simple folk in the pacific as you call them are happy to accept their god and pray to him daily , we/you on the other hand are caught up watching shitty videos on whats app or messenger....one thing we are getting closer to agreeing on , some white people make me puke...!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
give it time, as Big Shaq says, 'quick Maths'

average 1.7 white kids per family vs average 3.1 muslim kids per family (and growing)

and here's a graph about it - just follow the lines
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150402130756-chart-projected-religion-growth-exlarge-169.jpg

What a completely out of context statistical representation. The same research company predicts Muslim birth rates to fall in line with Christianity. Your graph actually shows that it cannot be approx. double the birth rate because otherwise it would cross over the Christianity graph. Interested to know where you grabbed that jpg from as I couldn't see it on their site, and most of their info. as per the article below is coupled with region demographics, age, migration etc. etc. Is 'quick maths' translatable to 'no maths'?

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/main-factors-driving-population-growth/

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What a completely out of context statistical representation. The same research company predicts Muslim birth rates to fall in line with Christianity. Your graph actually shows that it cannot be approx. double the birth rate because otherwise it would cross over the Christianity graph. Interested to know where you grabbed that jpg from as I couldn't see it on their site, and most of their info. as per the article below is coupled with region demographics, age, migration etc. etc. Is 'quick maths' translatable to 'no maths'?

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/main-factors-driving-population-growth/

says a bloke from Hove ....ha ha ha ......honestly u fukkers crack me up ....!!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
condescending cockwomble you aren't ya.... seeing as 200 years ago there were only 200 million people on the planet and there are now approaching 8 billion i would say that any religion is now defunct as it would not promote that the human race should overrun , ruin , pollute , drive other species to extinction , gouge billions of tonnes of carbon out of the ground and pump it back into the air to produce energy and basically ruin the planet when , if we were smart the sun, wind and ocean can provide the same , .....simple folk in the pacific as you call them are happy to accept their god and pray to him daily , we/you on the other hand are caught up watching shitty videos on whats app or messenger....one thing we are getting closer to agreeing on , some white people make me puke...!!

Not sure that ive been condescending tbh. All im saying is that every religion is a man made creation, with no 'gods' involved.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not sure that ive been condescending tbh. All im saying is that every religion is a man made creation, with no 'gods' involved.[/QUOTE|
the people of the pacific adopted christianity without question , as did massive parts of the phillipines and indonesia , indonesia was converted during the textile trade by arab traders quite recently by comparisson , ooh where have we heard that before ??...., do some history pal ......a lot of people need something to hold on to .....me ....?? couldn't care less , i'll die with a clear conscience , and that is all that matters in my opinion ,but i will always call a spade a spade , if it ain't right , it ain't right ...!!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not sure that ive been condescending tbh. All im saying is that every religion is a man made creation, with no 'gods' involved.[/QUOTE|
the people of the pacific adopted christianity without question , as did massive party of the phillipines and indonesia ...., do some history pal ......a lot of people need something to hold on to .....me ....?? couldn't care less , i'll die with a clear conscience , and that is all that matters in my opinion .

And what religion, made by God did they adopt? Or, did they adopt a man-made religion?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Faith? No. Christianity? Yes.

Being enlightened here in the UK, we have evolved beyond religious fervour somewhat. Muslims haven't had that pleasure, being only relatively recent immigrants to our fine country in great number. Naturally they've brought their developing country mentality (and religion) with them.

In a few hundred years, they'll grow out of it.

Hopefully ALL religious people will grow out of it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here