Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Best Brighton born and Bred musician

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Lots of Brighton based musicians and bands around but hard to know if they were actually born in the city. Best local song writer is in my opinion David Gedge who lives in Hove but does not fit the bill as born up North

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
you're 'avin' a giraffe......drummer and ,for that matter, bassist, driving force behind any band !!

I dont doubt that but my old Uncle Jack was a drummer and always said it was so easy and natural and I have always stuck with that. It probably was to him but I have never tried it and would never knock anybody who does play the drums. Perhaps that attitude explains why Ringo always seemed to be in the shadows of the other 3 Beatles.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I dont doubt that but my old Uncle Jack was a drummer and always said it was so easy and natural and I have always stuck with that. It probably was to him but I have never tried it and would never knock anybody who does play the drums. Perhaps that attitude explains why Ringo always seemed to be in the shadows of the other 3 Beatles.

Sir Ringo to you!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dave Greenfield

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Tony Ryan, lead singer and bassist for Necrosanct

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Lots of Brighton based musicians and bands around but hard to know if they were actually born in the city. Best local song writer is in my opinion David Gedge who lives in Hove but does not fit the bill as born up North

I think Nick Cave is the best local songwriter...but he probably doesn't meet the criteria as Melbourne is a bit too far down south.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
843710.main_image.jpg

(close thread)

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
What about NSC regular Horatio Hornblower? Not only was he in Darts (one for you there BG), but he sits in Row S of the WSU. It appears he was also in Rocky Sharpe & The Replays.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What about NSC regular Horatio Hornblower? Not only was he in Darts (one for you there BG), but he sits in Row S of the WSU. It appears he was also in Rocky Sharpe & The Replays.

Born in Shoreham, but Wikipedia says Darts originated from Brighton.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think Nick Cave is the best local songwriter...but he probably doesn't meet the criteria as Melbourne is a bit too far down south.

Was forgetting Cave. I might be wrong but I believe Warren Ellis lives locally too.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Leo Sayer Shoreham
Dave Courtney (Songwriter) Hove
Bob Weston (Fleetwood Mac) Lived in Hove for Looooong time
The late great, Garry Moore. Lived in Hove

I know that lived in is not the criteria you were looking for but I feel as adopted Brightonians they deserved a mention.

A Joke De Jour

A Drummer and Bass Player were fighting on the studio floor, when the Singer arrived.
" Lads, Lads what are you fighting for we're all in the same band, we're all friends here."
The Bass Player replies, "He detuned one of my strings."
"That's no reason for fistycuffs, just retune it." says the Singer.
"I would" said the Bassist,
"But he wont tell me which one."

TADA!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here