Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which new Albion player has impressed you the most?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Where Groß has been sublime, his stats over the last two years in the Bundesliga implied that he would probably be able to make the grade (still surprising how great he has been!)

Ryan on the other hand, though clearly a keeper of high pedigree, had a big hole to fill when Stockdale left. I saw a large part of our success last year as having that triumvirate (Duffy, Dunk, Stockdale) protecting the goal and thought Stockdale's mental impact would be too difficult to immediately replace. If anything Maty has out-togethered Stocky, and filled that role unbelievably well!

Aye. When it comes to the POTS crunch though, barring any significant dip in form from either, Gross will be getting my vote.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I can't split Ryan, Propper or Gross - all outstanding signings who have been consistently excellent all season and improved us immeasurably.

Schelloto and Izquierdo have also been fantastic signings and have improved as the season has gone on to become two of our best and most important players recently.

To think that in this crazy premier league transfer climate that these five were signed for roughly £35 million in total is incredible. All in all, our recruitment team have done amazingly well.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I knew Schelotto was going to be good, knew Gross was going to be good, but was less sure about Jose Izquierdo - and I'm absolutely delighted he's turned out to be the exciting payer we hoped he would be. Izquierdo is the most exciting new player for me since Lua Lua first signed. Sorry Knocky :down: think I just have a thing for speedy wingers

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is Groß for me, but only narrowly ahead of Davy Propper, who is a magnificent player.

Ryan, Schelotto, Izquierdo have all made big contributions too, and only Bong's good form has prevented the pretty decent Suttner from doing the same.

For me, the only one, for whom the jury is still out (and this is no slight on the guy, as he's barely featured) is Jurgen Locadia. Shown good signs, but we've not seen enough yet, to declare him a good buy.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Pascal the best but Propper, Ryan and Schellotto all key players now too. If we can secure another season in the Pre then we'll really see the benefit of these signings

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’m torn between Ryan, Groß, Pröpper, Izquierdo and Schelotto which highlights what a magnificent job our recruitment team did this summer.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Pound for pound it has to be Gross (£3m) or Ryan (£5m). Propper & Izquierdo have both been fantastic as well but came with more expensive price tags (£10m/£13m), so to a certain extent more was expected from them. Krul, Locadia & Ulloa have had limited time to show much - and Schelotto to a lesser extent, although he's broken in recently and looks 10X the player now he's settled than the player we saw for the first game or two. The only question mark you could argue is over Suttner, but in his defence he's been kept out of the team by Bong's good form - earlier in the season he looked decent, if unspectacular.

IMO when we get to the summer, the biggest 'risk' over who we could lose is not Dunk, Stephens, Gross, Duffy or Ryan. It's not even Hughton. It's Paul Winstanley and his team, who over the last 2 years or so have been superb in their acquisitions and have barely had a dud (I'm not counting any loans, as they're only ever temporrary options). Look at Leicester after they won the league - their head scout was poached byto Everton, and you couldn't really say their recruitment has been particularly effective since. I think we should be putting an improved contract in front of Gross as soon as the season is over, but also looking at locking down Winstanley's services as a priority - I'd have confidence we could lose any member of the coaching or playing staff and replace them, so long as there's consistency in personnel and approach behind the scenes.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A bit off topic, and this isn’t meant as a slur against Krul, but when Man Utd scored their second goal my first thought was “Ryan would have got to that”. The little fella has got unbelievable reactions. £5m. What a BaRgAiN!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Got to be Gross. He's a football machine. 3 mill for this guy is just crazy, I thought we were just buying a solid MF player but he has proved to be a lot more than that and the stats on this guy are just amazing. Jose, the Greyhound, Propper and Ryan have all done very well but Gross keeps churning out class and quality every time he plays.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because of the low fee paid IMHO Gross offers the best VFM. Ryan, Propper and Schelotto have stepped up to the plate and I am sure that Locadia will also. Somewhat a little MEH with Izquiredo as I havent seen as much of his pace down the wing as I expected after his debut at Watford and his tackling back at pace and also the fact that he is predictable always wanting to come inside onto his right foot and try a shot. I like him and think that he will get better but perhaps I expected too much too soon. On current form he is still the best wide man we have.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
For me it has been The Greyhound. At first he looked out of his depth, slow, awkward, clueless. Now I get excited when I see him striding forward. He still, for me, is a rough diamond but he has improved so much as the season progresses. Not only has he impressed, he is keeping a legend out of the team!:thumbsup:

This for me - Gross has been excellent also but I knew of him beforehand, so Schelotto coming good is at the top for me.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I’m torn between Ryan, Groß, Pröpper, Izquierdo and Schelotto which highlights what a magnificent job our recruitment team did this summer.

Bit ironic given the hammering they got after the failure to get a striker or two but a well deserved accolade.

If Locadia does the business then we really will be going somewhere (hopefully right up the table next season)!

Ryan for me though is the best (just). He’s saved us a load of points with his saves......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If he were English, he'd be a shoo-in for the national team. The fact that he's not even close to the German squad is a sobering thought about the gap in quality between the two countries.

He's been the stand-out new arrival for me

If he was English and playing for Brighton he would get nowhere near the England team... I think Duffy should get him & Dunk to change nationality...

Lush

Mods' Pet
A bit off topic, and this isn’t meant as a slur against Krul, but when Man Utd scored their second goal my first thought was “Ryan would have got to that”. The little fella has got unbelievable reactions. £5m. What a BaRgAiN!

I thought that too too. Unike Krul, he can't rely on just spreading himself across the goal, he has to actually make the save.

I think Gross is the winner though, followed by Schelotto.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
All are good , since Schellotto has been playing there is more depth and we are winning a few games. there are no bad signings. Even our u23s have recruited well and we have moved up to 3rd in the league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here