Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Cambridge Analytica - Channel 4

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I guess it depends on what the users agreed to when they interacted with whatever the original 'survey' was - and also the data retention circumstances.

However I would expect a company that deals with data on a constant basis to have a fairly watertight approach to legality. If either company involved were lax there, then they may have a case to answer. But my guess is that this is a large number of people hoping/expecting for action that is probably going to be rather dull and technical and in the end won't have much substance.

UK MPs will probably have more fun with it though - and maybe more results. Politicians are playing to an audience (the voters) and will be wanting to get a message across. Which is of course how the problem started.

You're giving quite a technical, legal response to this issue. What you don't seem to have gathered is that an initial group (I think of about 300,000) took the survey, but it was all their friends data that was culled, taking it up to a figure of in excess of 50 million.
I'm really interested as to why you're displaying such cynicism towards politicians, and what they'll do about it, and not doing so to the chief protagonists, which is Facebook and Cambridge Analytica.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
One positive thing to come out of this in the context of NSC is that it seems everyone now ignores Looney's inane yelpings.
Thanks for reminding me.

Any poster that gives Breitbart links or mentions Soros needs to go on my ignore list - just a collection of words, no meaning.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thanks for reminding me.

Any poster that gives Breitbart links or mentions Soros needs to go on my ignore list - just a collection of words, no meaning.

The swivel eyed loons on here will still think the whole thing is a conspiracy, its too late they've already been groomed.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As an alternative perhaps people could just make their mind up who they vote for as opposed to taking the shit storm of fake news and propaganda data - or is that just too hard ?

But this is the point isn't it - they target people whose main source of news is social media and who believe what they read/see on there. It happens a lot, even with seemingly intelligent people. I just have to look at my Facebook feed sometimes to see supposedly intelligent people sharing shite stories and believing them. What the program last night pointed out is that you don't have to influence huge numbers of people to swing an election, just enough to swing it your way. Trump won because 44,000 more voted for him the swing states, apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here