Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That journey back from old Trafford - the Monday afternoon bored post

Tomdibble

Mar 5, 2018
West Norwood London
Took me 7 hours in the snow back to south London in the car . Finally tucked up in bed at 5am . Any other horror stories from the snow etc , or did everyone else make the sensible option and stay out on the lash for Patrick's Day !! I did spot a few Albion fans going past me on the M6 at 32 mph ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I travelled back by coach and got back to Heathfield at 4.30am. Very glad to get off the coach as by that time I had a numb bum and was starting to feel like all the Guinness I’d drunk at Old Trafford was gonna make an appearance.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Had a great night's sleep in the Premier Inn across the road from Old Trafford, followed by a hearty breakfast and a very relaxed drive back on Sunday.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Apparently there were maniacs doing 80mph overtaking in the snow on the way South, I wasn't overtaken by anyone after the roadworks on the M6 but did overtake a fair few people daudling doing 65 in the middle lane so I have now come to the conclusion that I am a maniac.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
Was asleep on the coach for most of the journey home but remember going past Luton. Got home in Hove 4.20am

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Took me 7 hours in the snow back to south London in the car . Finally tucked up in bed at 5am . Any other horror stories from the snow etc , or did everyone else make the sensible option and stay out on the lash for Patrick's Day !! I did spot a few Albion fans going past me on the M6 at 32 mph ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I know it's extra cost and all that and sometimes it's not possible - but why did you not just sit it out
on Saturday evening - have a few drinks in Manchester and meander down on Sunday?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We were very fortunate that we found an absolute gem for parking 10 min walk from the stadium and managed to get out Manchester with complete ease.

Back home to my bed in Brighton by 4.30am following 1 stop.

Some absolute IDIOTS going in the snow covered outside lanes or hogging the middle lane when the slow lane was free, meaning overtaking was taking place on the inside lane. crazy. A few crashed cars seen on the way back.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Had a great night's sleep in the Premier Inn across the road from Old Trafford, followed by a hearty breakfast and a very relaxed drive back on Sunday.

Same here. Great location for hotel, well worth £77! Also we all enjoyed a day at the Football museum before the drive back. Went on M6 Toll as a treat so was Back in BN18 within 5 hours drive time.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I know it's extra cost and all that and sometimes it's not possible - but why did you not just sit it out
on Saturday evening - have a few drinks in Manchester and meander down on Sunday?

it's extra cost and all that and sometimes it's not possible . My "not possible" was Youth Football on Sunday morning, and yes, the game did get called off!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I have to admit it felt like one of the quickest journeys I have ever done for that route, normally monotony sets in about half way down the M6 but the extra concentration required to feel what was happening with the road really helped the time pass.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
No problem driving over the pennines getting there but the journey back was hair raising (not that I have much left to rise). Chugged through the blizzard on britain's highest motorway. Managed 30 m.p.h at times! Praying the odd crazy would not hit me as they dared to pass (most were sensible). The wind drove me sideways from time to time but once I got the other side of Huddersfield all good and could pick up speed until hitting the Doncaster snow drift. Leaving the motorway was the worst. My car turned into a snow plough for a couple of miles then finally home. Nearly three hours to do what normally is done in an hour and a half, not sure I would do that again.

nleaney

Dec 9, 2014
I only had to come as far south as Cambridge and got home at 3.30. The drive across the Pennines to Sheffield was interesting but not too bad. It was much worse from Sheffield to Worksop - although the roads were being gritted, it was settling pretty quickly and without much traffic, weren't staying clear. The oncoming snow was mesmerizing too which didn't help. There were a few numpties on the A1 (lorry drivers mainly) but thankfully by the time I got to Grantham the roads were much better and the temperature a couple of degrees warmer.

It did occur to me to find somewhere to stay given the forecast but the same forecast indicated that it could have been even worse on Sunday!

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
No problem driving over the pennines getting there but the journey back was hair raising (not that I have much left to rise). Chugged through the blizzard on britain's highest motorway. Managed 30 m.p.h at times! Praying the odd crazy would not hit me as they dared to pass (most were sensible). The wind drove me sideways from time to time but once I got the other side of Huddersfield all good and could pick up speed until hitting the Doncaster snow drift. Leaving the motorway was the worst. My car turned into a snow plough for a couple of miles then finally home. Nearly three hours to do what normally is done in an hour and a half, not sure I would do that again.

I found west Yorkshire the worst stretch on the way back to Donny. Though did manage to maintain speed of between 35 to 50. Folk hogging the middle lane did annoy me at times though.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Same here. Great location for hotel, well worth £77! Also we all enjoyed a day at the Football museum before the drive back. Went on M6 Toll as a treat so was Back in BN18 within 5 hours drive time.

Yep, excellently located and great value. Will definitely do that again next time. And no, I'm not Lenny Henry.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here