Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Drink driving - why?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
[/B]

I did this on the day of my stag party 25th June 1965 and to this day I cannot remember which pub I left it at I thought it was opposite The Swan but have never found the car. It was a dark blue A40 Devon that I bought that morning from Triad Engineering in Brighton drove it to Worthing and never seen again. It had the log book and receipt etc in the glove box so somebody did well out of it.:)

Paging [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Noticed in the red tops Nick (Mr Loophole) Freeman preparing the defence for Ant. He said there must be doubt as to who was driving and the police must prove it was Ant as usually the driver is taken to the station tested and charged. As that didnt happen the police must have doubts. I thought that there was video footage shown on the news of him getting out of the driving seat of his mini.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Noticed in the red tops Nick (Mr Loophole) Freeman preparing the defence for Ant. He said there must be doubt as to who was driving and the police must prove it was Ant as usually the driver is taken to the station tested and charged. As that didnt happen the police must have doubts. I thought that there was video footage shown on the news of him getting out of the driving seat of his mini.
Saw that video footage too. Has he even been charged yet? For all we know he may have been boderline at the roadside and blown a negative at the station where as I understand it, the equipment is more accurate. ........and of course, the time it can take to get him retested (cough cough). He might be looking at a charge of dangerous driving/without due care etc for all we know. Booze might not even be a factor in the charges......If any do come about.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Genuine question - does that comment mean that you think it is not enforced as rigorously as it could be? I would say that it's one of the things that the British police are absolutely determined to enforce and with a zero tolerance approach.
It's difficult to enforcement a law with absolute determination when the police forces are being cut to the bone and can barely cope with 999 calls.

I work in a destination pub. It's in a very small village and everyone else has to drive to it. In the last year I have NEVER seen any police doing drink drive spot checks.

No matter how high the penalty for the offence, people will take the chance if they don't think they are going to get caught.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No excuse in London - one tap on your phone and an Uber arrives.

I'm astounded that he got in a car and drove as alleged.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Bexhill teacher Louise Willard inadvertently recorded her own drink driver and was convicted today. Driving at up to 50mph in residential streets, whilst 3 times over the limit, her actions beggar belief. She could have very easily snuffed out the lives of innocent others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-sussex-43913537/dashcam-footage-shows-drink-driver-s-journey
Yep watching the footage amazed she didn't kill anyone

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I will admit that, as a younger man, I used to take this stupid risk a lot.

I stopped when, one night, I got totally smashed, kerbed a wheel and drove home with sparks flying off my wheel rims and making a massive racket for about 5 miles. I left a groove in the road ffs.

In the morning I realised what I'd done. Never drank and drove again. I could have killed myself and Christ knows who else.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Bexhill teacher Louise Willard inadvertently recorded her own drink driver and was convicted today. Driving at up to 50mph in residential streets, whilst 3 times over the limit, her actions beggar belief. She could have very easily snuffed out the lives of innocent others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-sussex-43913537/dashcam-footage-shows-drink-driver-s-journey

Knowing those roads really well it's amazing she got so far before she crashed. Most scary is her driving at over 60 along the Polegate and Pevensey bypasses and then the marsh road which has had more than it's share of road deaths.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Should be a custodial sentence for offences this bad.
I would ask Edna,or someone else in law enforcement, before rushing to that.

I'm not saying that drinking and driving isn't criminal and stupid but...and it's a but...this woman might have all sorts of issues we don't know about.

Drinking is socially OK in the UK but is responsible for a huge percentage of crime, assaults, murders and other violence which, to my mind is just as dangerous as getting pissed and driving.

Does everyone who smacks someone who smashes a pub window...irrespective of who gets massively hurt go in jail?

If we lock up everyone who gets nicked for DD the jails will be overflowing.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would ask Edna,or someone else in law enforcement, before rushing to that.

I'm not saying that drinking and driving isn't criminal and stupid but...and it's a but...this woman might have all sorts of issues we don't know about.

Drinking is socially OK in the UK but is responsible for a huge percentage of crime, assaults, murders and other violence which, to my mind is just as dangerous as getting pissed and driving.

Does everyone who smacks someone who smashes a pub window...irrespective of who gets massively hurt go in jail?

If we lock up everyone who gets nicked for DD the jails will be overflowing.

Sorry it’s a personal opinion, not a criticism of the sentencing............based on the facts as known I’m not sure the punishment fits the crime.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Or perhaps they wouldn’t do it? No excuse for it no matter what “issues” the selfish **** had.

No, they would. With alcoholism running at about 8-9% in the uk you're looking at just under a million regular DD riskers.

Do you realise what size the prison estate would have to be to get them in?

Besides, you'd be jailing a lot of Doctors, Lawyers and other professionals who would benefit from help rather than stir.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here