• Keep free speech

Votes: 102 92.7%
  • End free speech for some

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just out of interest, I have managed to find on the Home Office website a list of proscribed terrorist organisation, which is mostly about ISIL, Jihad etc, with a Basque country thing in there somewhere as well, and a few Irish organisations right at the end.
https://www.scribd.com/document/318729850/Proscribed-Terrorist-Organisations-UK-Home-Office-2016

But I can't find a list of banned political parties - "political" just brings it back to the Terrorist list.
Any ideas? and I am not trying to make any sort of point on this - just asking and curious.

I'm guessing that it's because any proscribed political groups are de facto terrorist organisations. This list on Wiki looks pretty definitive and includes the PKK and Hizbollah, both are political parties. Also further down is a reference to National Action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_Act_2000

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Robinsons supporters. A mob of middle aged men in bomber jackets. The man himself at least puts a suit on but fails to look like anything other than a meathead heading into court.
All so predictable.
That video is two groups of thugs scrapping. Nothing more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How about at least 10 posts on football, a couple on the toughest creatures and a comment on a picture along the lines of Y,Y,N,Y,N, before a political thread can be started?

Don’t forget fish puns.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
People "preaching" racial hatred and violence from a right-wing political point of view should be banned from doing so just as much as Muslim preachers who they condemn for preaching the same sort of stuff from the other side.

I think the difficulty is that there appears to be some 'interesting' interpretations of what crosses the line into promoting hatred and violence and much more worryingly, people being banned/arrested before they've even started speaking for fear of them causing offence. The latter is a very slippery slope to all sorts of unintended consequences. It's basically thought-crime.

I loathe the likes of Asim Qureshi and Anjem Choudhary and everything they stand for but fully support their right to call for an Islamic Britain fully under Sharia Law as they both have done publicly - as long as they don't encourage anyone to violence. Likewise I also support Sinn Fein's right to keep campaigning for a united Ireland even though the sight of Gerry Adams turns my stomach. And the same goes for Tommy Robinson with whatever he's got to say. The fact that I will probably find most of what these people say as deeply offensive is my tough luck and the price I pay for living in what is still one of the most tolerant and peaceful countries in the world.

Free speech means you have the right to offend and the risk of being offended. We need to treasure this.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So he goes around publicly telling people not to trust Muslims and acts aggrieved when they object? Funny old world.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Everyone is for FS until they hear something they don't like. This thread is a good example, that video is a good example, the numerous videos on US colleges are amazing but depressing examples. Hell even the Trump thread on here is a great example.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm guessing that it's because any proscribed political groups are de facto terrorist organisations. This list on Wiki looks pretty definitive and includes the PKK and Hizbollah, both are political parties. Also further down is a reference to National Action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_Act_2000

Thanks - I need to look at it more closely....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think the difficulty is that there appears to be some 'interesting' interpretations of what crosses the line into promoting hatred and violence and much more worryingly, people being banned/arrested before they've even started speaking for fear of them causing offence. The latter is a very slippery slope to all sorts of unintended consequences. It's basically thought-crime.

I loathe the likes of Asim Qureshi and Anjem Choudhary and everything they stand for but fully support their right to call for an Islamic Britain fully under Sharia Law as they both have done publicly - as long as they don't encourage anyone to violence. Likewise I also support Sinn Fein's right to keep campaigning for a united Ireland even though the sight of Gerry Adams turns my stomach. And the same goes for Tommy Robinson with whatever he's got to say. The fact that I will probably find most of what these people say as deeply offensive is my tough luck and the price I pay for living in what is still one of the most tolerant and peaceful countries in the world.

Free speech means you have the right to offend and the risk of being offended. We need to treasure this.

I go along with that totally. I have today received an email from Hope not Hate highlighting that Waterstones and Foyles were stocking some books which were promoting hate. I can't remember what they were, but I felt a bit uncomfortable about it. One of them was a holocaust denial book, and my own thoughts would be that people should be able to read it so that they can argue against it. I guess the danger comes if people don't know any other background before reading something like that or, alternatively, just want to believe it whatever the rest of the evidence.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

what is it that you find so objectionable about tommy robinson ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
you come across as bejng incapable of doing anything other than bending over and grabbing your ankles when it comes to muslims

I just try not to tar everyone who comes under a specific description with the same brush. I have participated in conversations on many occasions when someone has started a sentence with "These people.........", and you know full well that what is just about to come is going to be a load of prejudiced crap, whether it is about Muslims, Millwall Supporters, the Labour Party, BREXIT voters or whatever.

sort of person who would be happy with an open door policy in this country as long as it didn't affect him
regards
DR

And you are very good at jumping to conclusions based on nothing at all. I have said absolutely nothing on this thread about immigration, Tommy Robinson or any political party.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So he goes around publicly telling people not to trust Muslims and acts aggrieved when they object? Funny old world.

Except he doesnt tell people not to trust muslims,he is quite clear his stance is against the ideology of Islam. Obviously separate standpoints unless of course you intentionally choose to muddy the waters.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This with bells on. But once the speakers slip into defamation or incitement to violence they they should get nicked. The difficulty here is what constitutes defamation and incitement to violence. Reciting spells (aka 'prayers') that invoke lots of smiting, and rally cries about 'defending' by any means one's rights against the 'other' can get a bit near the knuckle.

ps who is Asim Qureshi? I looked him up. Nada.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here