Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton - what to do?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Devils's advocate here: what if we were in the Championship next season?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would extend his contract by a few years to tie him to us and then loan him back out to Wigan if they get promoted or if not a Championship team for another season loan then bring him back to compete with Ryan for the shirt in season 19/20. I believe it was in The Argus this week that he wants to come back next season to compete with Ryan for the shirt.

Spot on. We will need to pay him a lot more if we expect him to agree to another loan. Would need to be a loan to the likes of Derby or whoever is likely to be in the running for promotion next season, though....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd prefer to loan Walton to a championship side where he is not behind one of the better defences.

Would rather he was in a competitive but not top of the league side, so he gets a better work out.

Someone like Ipswich or Forest.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd prefer to loan Walton to a championship side where he is not behind one of the better defences.

Would rather he was in a competitive but not top of the league side, so he gets a better work out.

That makes sense and Mick McCarthy at Ipswich and CH are mates so perhaps a deal could be done.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Of course we can keep him if we don't play him. He comes across as quite smart and understanding that, especially for goalkeepers, as a young player he has to bide his time and get experience. He knows it's unlikely to go from playing in League one for one season to dislodging an at least highly competent prem keeper. He knows he will need to make another step up, with a loan out at Championship level.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...hristian_Walton_taking_loan_route_to_the_top/

He was definitely throwing shade at Maty Ryan in that article:-

"I am six-foot five, pushing six-foot six. Maty is an outstanding shot-stopper, really quick and agile around his goal, but he is obviously not the biggest so he's not going to be that commanding a keeper from long balls into the box, but everyone's different in what they bring to the team."

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
How are we going to replace him for £1 mill? Fantastic penalty save today for Wigan. He's doing exactly what the loan is intended to do, give him game time and producing some outstanding performances. Our current 2nd and 3rd keepers are out of contract at the end of the season so unless one stays he'll be back as our no 2 and challenging Ryan

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014

Or birmingham with Stocko as his No2 and PIG as no 3 :lol:

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How are we going to replace him for £1 mill? Fantastic penalty save today for Wigan. He's doing exactly what the loan is intended to do, give him game time and producing some outstanding performances. Our current 2nd and 3rd keepers are out of contract at the end of the season so unless one stays he'll be back as our no 2 and challenging Ryan

Martin Keown and someone else (Pat nevin from memory) raving about the penalty save in the comments on the BBC website commentary. "The best save I have seen for a long, long time"...... "Titanium wrists". He was excellent.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
That makes sense and Mick McCarthy at Ipswich and CH are mates so perhaps a deal could be done.

Old Big nose is off at the end of the season with Ipswich I believe as his contractruns out, The fans hate him down their and the only reason he is still in a job as they cant afford to sack him.

expect Ipswich to be relegated next season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is this first hand knowledge or just guesswork?

He did an interview with The Argus last week too. Doesn't seem overly fussed as he is playing regularly and learning his trade too. Big call for Hughton though, do you give him another year development in the Championship or put him in the mix for us next season but then risk him not playing for a season if Ryan is still preferred?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16081765.Albion_keeper_Christian_Walton_taking_loan_route_to_the_top/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here