Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton - what to do?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Assuming can keep Krul as back-up one more year, then Walton needs to go to the Championship after a bigger and longer contract. I'm sure Wigan or who-ever can contribute a small amount towards that raise for the first year.

He's then ideal to be our second choice and competing to take over the moment Ryan slips up. That either pushes both of them on, or one is the winner.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Love the Sun article,,, Wigans walton is attracting interest from a number of Premier league clubs... er no He belongs to Brighton who are a Premier league club.. try and do some research before you write the article

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't be making any plans based around McCarthy being at Ipswich next season.

Old Big nose is off at the end of the season with Ipswich I believe as his contractruns out, The fans hate him down their and the only reason he is still in a job as they cant afford to sack him.

expect Ipswich to be relegated next season.

He is an established Championship manager who will get another job in the Championship if they let him go. If Steve Cotterill can get a job in that division surely McCarthy will.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Love the Sun article,,, Wigans walton is attracting interest from a number of Premier league clubs... er no He belongs to Brighton who are a Premier league club.. try and do some research before you write the article

And Walton, who is on loan from Brighton, is sure to have caught the attention of plenty of other Premier league clubs following this performance.

:shrug:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Loan him to a top end Championship team and then his apprenticeship is complete.
After that it's down to him to be first choice 'keeper.

Yep! With a keeper, it's not as if we're missing his best years if he doesn't get into our 1st Team until he's 24-25, and that looks like where he's headed for me.

Looks the absolute business, not just in league One, but also in the Cup when they've played against Premier League opposition. I love Maty Ryan, but this guy is heading towards being some serious competition for him in the 2019/20 season if he can nail another year like this with a Championship club.

Not so sure it has to be a "top end" Championship club, as I think you want him to work hard to see what he's got. I'd like to see him under the pressure of being in teh play-offs, but if it's still with Wigan and he's over-worked as they battle towards the bottom, then that works as well. It's about him playing against better teams.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep! With a keeper, it's not as if we're missing his best years if he doesn't get into our 1st Team until he's 24-25, and that looks like where he's headed for me.

Looks the absolute business, not just in league One, but also in the Cup when they've played against Premier League opposition. I love Maty Ryan, but this guy is heading towards being some serious competition for him in the 2019/20 season if he can nail another year like this with a Championship club.

Not so sure it has to be a "top end" Championship club, as I think you want him to work hard to see what he's got. I'd like to see him under the pressure of being in teh play-offs, but if it's still with Wigan and he's over-worked as they battle towards the bottom, then that works as well. It's about him playing against better teams.

Stocko wasn't hardly a passenger, last season.

I'd like to know that not only is he a quality keeper, but that he can also handle to pressure that comes from playing for promotion.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Well and good to specify a top end team. Were it that easy. Current top sides tend to have an established keeper and even then can underachieve.
No point in him being second choice in the championship when he can do that with us (although I actually expect us to give Krul another season). Staying with Wigan might be the right choice for his development and they might do well and end up "top end."
The thought also occurs that a further loan for Walton - probably with him getting a further extension to his current deal - might be a useful sweetener to doing a deal with Wigan for Powell.
I would be unsurprised if we didn't go back for him in the summer.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I would say it doesn't matter what end of the Championship he's playing in next season, but he should be in there somewhere. Staying with Wigan would be the ideal I would say, he knows the club and he's their undisputed number 1. To me it seems best he stays there for another season. He just needs to be playing games, it doesn't matter if his team are at the top end, the bottom or floating around in the middle.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I seriously hope the club are on top of the issue of CW's contract as pray God we don't lose him.

Either way in a year's time he may even be better that MR ( and bigger ) but, in the meantime, are there times perhaps TK has looked a little flaky ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

But if he stays as second choice he gets maybe 12 games all season including cup competitions. Is that good enough to keep him making progress?
Still be very surprised if we didn't keep Krul as back-up & let Waltz go to Wigan for another season.
Interesting whether we keep Maenpaa as 3rd choice or bring in an experienced replacement or promote Sanchez to official 3rd choice & keep him in the DS?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here