Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Most underated band ever?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd have to dispute that many bands were much more ground breaking than The Beatles. The Sixties was a decade of continuous musical innovation, but The Beatles were continuously ground breaking and that's the difference. Every single and every album was different and eagerly anticipated because you never knew where they would go next. Having lived through that momentous decade and listened to as much music as I could, I cannot describe the thrill and the buzz of anticipation for every scrap of new Beatles music and they never failed to deliver, year in and year out. The Doors, Beach Boys, Kinks, Stones, Dylan to name but a few, were all wonderful but, unlike The Beatles, they lacked consistency in their groundbreaking. A great decade for a music loving kid to grow up.

I am not saying that just because I don't like them much they aren't great. Taste is personal. I am just amazed that anyone can say they are the most 'underrated' band ever. I was then goaded by my disdain for that post into having a poke. The thread is about underrated bands and, as I illustrated, they are far from that.

Legendaty Pink Dots, anyone? :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am not saying that just because I don't like them much they aren't great. Taste is personal. I am just amazed that anyone can say they are the most 'underrated' band ever. I was then goaded by my disdain for that post into having a poke. The thread is about underrated bands and, as I illustrated, they are far from that.

Legendaty Pink Dots, anyone? :lolol:

Didn't it start with one jokey comment "The Beatles", obviously said ironically?

I noticed over the years that music threads often get hijecked by the pro / anti Beatles camps.

@HWT, I disapprove of what you say about the Beatles, but I will defend to the death on NSC your right to say it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not in response to anyone in particularly, I think this thread misses the point a little at times. Surely to be underated, a band has to be rated in the public eye to some extent, rather than obscure but enjoyed by the poster and a handful of others, in the know or otherwise. In other words, I need to have heard of them:bigwave:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Can I add replacements and suicide to the mix? Loved the people saints, I think the first time I saw them they were supporting the stone roses. Then saw them twice with the boo radleys and I think once with lush. Has anybody listened to the ora album, with the original of sight of you?

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
The Go-Betweens and The Mekons are among my fave ever bands. It's an interesting question whether they, and some other bands mentioned on this thread, are underrated: they definitely aren't by many music nerds/critics. I suppose this is what makes a cult band: beloved, but never having a massive hit for various reasons (lack of promotion, politics, strangeness, just not chasing it etc). Another band I love is The Replacements. They were biggish in the states, but never really cracked it in the U.K. The Minneapolis band made rough, fumbling, drunk music about being young. "Let it Be"(!) is a fantastic album - even the silly stuff and the Kiss cover.

The Replacements even did a song called "Alex Chilton", showing their affinity for the original hard luck cult band - Big Star.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
@HWT, I disapprove of what you say about the Beatles, but I will defend to the death on NSC your right to say it.

I salute your indefatigability :cheery::kiss:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not in response to anyone in particularly, I think this thread misses the point a little at times. Surely to be underated, a band has to be rated in the public eye to some extent, rather than obscure but enjoyed by the poster and a handful of others, in the know or otherwise. In other words, I need to have heard of them:bigwave:

I think that effing brilliant yet nobody has heard of them counts if the band are old. New (last 5 years) does not count (or I would have sprayed all over this thread - 'O Children', anyone... :lolol:).

But I agree that if the band has actually been dismissed by the proletariate and also the music press then you have gold. Which is why the Chameleons and the Comsat Angels win. Been around for ever, the press laughed at them, the sales are poor, and yet they are (still, in various forms) brilliant. And therefore much underrated. Actually, add Killing Joke and *The Sound to that list. :thumbsup:

*No longer around after Adrian Borland's sad demise :(

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Has to be the Gentleman below with his band of 5 journeyman musicians.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I saw him three times. He was by no means a class live act, and actively didn't like performing, and had no end of problems in his life which often manifested themselves live. His great strengths were his songwriting, and his arrangements and production.

My problem is that I compare every singer songwriter with Jackson Browne when he was at his peak. No one, apart from Springsteen has come close. It's a bit like comparing every number 7 with George Best in his heyday. You're ultimately disappointed, but I struggle to avoid making such comparisons.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
My problem is that I compare every singer songwriter with Jackson Browne when he was at his peak. No one, apart from Springsteen has come close. It's a bit like comparing every number 7 with George Best in his heyday. You're ultimately disappointed, but I struggle to avoid making such comparisons.

.....and Browne was a teenager when he wrote this ....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6kk7vCHvof4

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Iron Butterfly fit the bill perfectly. Massively successful but just a few years after the big hit they were forgotten, and even regarded as shit. The band's seminal 1968 album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is among the world's 40 best-selling albums, selling more than 30 million copies. And I expect few on here have heard of them.

For the record, I have never heard a single track by this lot. Not one. Ever.

A group of us got together as kit sponsors, starting with Kurt Nogan; for reasons to obscure to go in to here, we called ourselves In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. We were Kerry Mayo's kit sponsor for several seasons. When we were presented with our signed shirt on the pitch at Withdean we presented him with a copy of the Iron Butterfly album. He looked suitably baffled.

Oh, and it is a rubbish album.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here