Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Future of Football

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He still did not recommend an all seater he accepted that a lower portion of terracing would be safer not the total removal of it. All seater stadia followed because they ignored what he said just as they ignored his criticism of the policing of Hillsborough and just did what they wanted letting Jimmy Hill be their endorsing mouthpiece.
Splitting hairs to the nth. degree - quite BG like. Taylor was instrumental in the scheme of things in getting all seater stadiums, fact. He endorsed the idea, and effectively gave permission for such stadiums to become law. He was the man who gave the green light.
If you really think that the Taylor report had nothing to do with all seater stadiums, carry on; and good luck.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Splitting hairs to the nth. degree - quite BG like. Taylor was instrumental in the scheme of things in getting all seater stadiums, fact. He endorsed the idea, and effectively gave permission for such stadiums to become law. He was the man who gave the green light.
If you really think that the Taylor report had nothing to do with all seater stadiums, carry on; and good luck.

Its not splitting hairs he recommended pretty much what the German league has done and that is totally different to all seater and its also disrespectful to a Judge that did a pretty good job given the circumstances of the time but his report was used politically and interpreted/ignored by the powers that be to use to their own agenda. It took till last year for the Hillsborough criticisms to be recognised.

You really think it was his report that contributed to all seater rather than Thatcher who wanted that and more (compulsory membership for all fans) and Jimmy Hill who used his media position to endorse his Coventry shining example of all seaterness as a necessity for crowd safety. Think again and see how easy it is to manipulate the electorate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You're correct, simple as that. Taylor made the recommendation, which the Government adopted in 1992 (2 years after Maggie had left Government, which quashes the red-herring posts stating her anti-football supporter views were the driver for all seater grounds. People are confusing this matter, with her push with Sports Minister Colin Moynihan, for compulsory football supporter ID's).

IMG_2499.PNG

IMG_2500.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_2498.PNG
    IMG_2498.PNG
    318.2 KB · Views: 88

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Crikey, sorry guys, I seem to have inadvertently created a debate about football on NSC, what was I thinking, sorry!

Flat sheet, cheese & pickle and always challenge the ticket on the grounds of it being private land.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Its not splitting hairs.............You really think it was his report that contributed to all seater rather than Thatcher who wanted that and more (compulsory membership for all fans) and Jimmy Hill who used his media position to endorse his Coventry shining example of all seaterness as a necessity for crowd safety. Think again and see how easy it is to manipulate the electorate.
Yes you are splitting hairs, and yes, the Taylor report clearly contributed to the law changes that lead to all seater stadiums. Anyway, I'm done arguing the point with you -it's like arguing with BG when's defending the indefensible! Pointless.

You're correct, simple as that. Taylor made the recommendation, which the Government adopted in 1992 (2 years after Maggie had left Government, which quashes the red-herring posts stating her anti-football supporter views were the driver for all seater grounds.
Nail on the head mate. Anyway, I've done with this conversation - I'm out of here. Black still ain't white, but not to some!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No moaning here Guv'nor, just a mass debate!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I was going to ask this. Why and when did it change from Upton Park to the Boleyn Ground? I used to go a couple of times a season and it was always Upton Park.
[MENTION=2019]jevs[/MENTION] ?

It’s always been the Boleyn Ground, the nearest tube station is Upton Park and it kind of stuck. Not sure when though.
Always been The Boleyn for me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with the OP about the direction of travel for the Premier League.

Last week, not only was it sad to see West Ham fans turn on their board for the mess they've made at that great club but just as sad was the Spurs season ticket prices for their new 62,000 stadium with the cheapest seats being £795 and the average punter paying a grand.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I agree with the OP about the direction of travel for the Premier League.

Last week, not only was it sad to see West Ham fans turn on their board for the mess they've made at that great club but just as sad was the Spurs season ticket prices for their new 62,000 stadium with the cheapest seats being £795 and the average punter paying a grand.

I guess in the Premier League of the future they'll be "above average" punters in terms of disposable income. There are fewer lads going on to play football in the Saturday leagues so where are they in terms of our support, we have the U18s and loads of 45+ but I fear we'll price out the "core support" of the future. The club will still sell loads of ST but will they always turn up, will they be as vocal, will they travel to Old Trafford for a 19.45 KO on a snowy Saturday, I fear not.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
"61. There is no panacea which will achieve total safety and cure
all problems of behaviour and crowd control. But I am satisfied
that seating does more to achieve those objectives than any other
single measure.
62. It is obvious that sitting for the duration of the match is
more comfortable than standing. It is also safer. When a
spectator is seated he has his own small piece of territory in
which he can feel reasonably secure. He will not be in close
physical contact with those around him. He will not be jostled
or moved about by swaying or surging. Small or infirm or elderly
men and women as well as young children are not buffeted,
smothered or unsighted by larger and more robust people as on the
terraces. The seated spectator is not subject to pressure of
numbers behind or around him during the match. He will not be
painfully bent double over a crush barrier. Those monitoring
numbers will know exactly how many are there without having to
count them in or assess the density by visual impression. There
will still, of course, be scope for crowd pressure on stairways
whilst entering and especially when leaving, but involuntary and
uncontrolled crowd movements occasioned by incidents in the game
are effectively eliminated
"

Ringing endorsement of all seater stadiums by Lord Justice Taylor. All seater stadiums then followed on from said report.

The Taylor report was based on evidence provided, to a large extent, by the old bill. Now we know that the OB at Hillsborough were a conspiracy of lying ********, the Taylor Report should be torn up and we should start all over again. Having said that, those new to football are such a different demographic now; as several have posted, your traditional football supporter has been priced out of the game.

I love our new stadium, but the buzz and the atmosphere and the "Knees Up Brighton Town" followed by the tumbling down the terracing is just a distant memory of, for me, happier days. I am just pleased that my son was old enough for him to experience the atmosphere of the terraces at the Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here