Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing advice

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Whenever we use the washing machine, shower or even flush the toilet our bathroom tap has started to make an awful sound. We have lived here for 4 years

Any suggestions of how I can fix it

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Whenever we use the washing machine, shower or even flush the toilet our bathroom tap has started to make an awful sound. We have lived here for 4 years

Any suggestions of how I can fix it

What sort of sound?
Do you have a mixer tap or single taps, is the tap on the bath or basin?
Do you have a cold water storage tank in your loft?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
What sort of sound?
Do you have a mixer tap or single taps, is the tap on the bath or basin?
Do you have a cold water storage tank in your loft?

The wife described it like a donkey
Mixer tap on the basin, noise stops once cold tap is turned on
No storage tanks in the house, we have a combi boiler

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Mixer tap on the basin, noise stops once cold tap is turned on
No storage tanks in the house, we have a combi boiler

The only thing I can think of is the basin mixer tap has ceramic disc valves fitted ( under the tap head ) they are used on most modern taps instead of normal tap washers.
It may be worth replacing them or if the mixer tap is old, replace that.

One thing to try, on the pipes to the basin mixer are there isolation valves installed?
If so turn them off and run the shower or flush the toilet and see if the noise definitely stops. This is just to confirm there is a problem with the tap.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Could be an air lock. Turn all of your taps on and let them run for a few minutes. Then turn them off. I occasionally get this problem and this fixes it, until the next time!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The only thing I can think of is the basin mixer tap has ceramic disc valves fitted ( under the tap head ) they are used on most modern taps instead of normal tap washers.
It may be worth replacing them or if the mixer tap is old, replace that.

One thing to try, on the pipes to the basin mixer are there isolation valves installed?
If so turn them off and run the shower or flush the toilet and see if the noise definitely stops. This is just to confirm there is a problem with the tap.

I turned it off on the isolator valve and when flushing the toilet no noise. I guess I need to replace the valve, thanks for your help

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I turned it off on the isolator valve and when flushing the toilet no noise. I guess I need to replace the valve, thanks for your help

You're welcome.
The ceramic disc valves fitted in the taps are not standard, helps if you know the manufacturer of the tap.
If the mixer tap has two tap heads, rather than one lever. Take one of the heads to a plumbing shop and see if they can match the head up with a pair of valves.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
You're welcome.
The ceramic disc valves fitted in the taps are not standard, helps if you know the manufacturer of the tap.
If the mixer tap has two tap heads, rather than one lever. Take one of the heads to a plumbing shop and see if they can match the head up with a pair of valves.
This. I work for a plumbers merchant and the disc cartridges aren't universal. Make sure you take the handle / lever and the cartridge to get the correct match.
If the tap has a makers name or brand that might help.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It will also cost about £20 for a new ceramic valve, whereas a new washer for an old tap would be about 10p.

Complete rip off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

2ea081ea3a66d0465b77524a90cae318--donkey-kong-bath-tubs.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here