Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Max Sanders

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
With Max Sanders' first inclusion in a Premier League matchday squad today, it would seem appropriate to bounce this thread. Post #1 tells you a little more about him, for anyone who might not have heard of him previously.

Congratulations Max!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Forgive me for bouncing one of my old threads, but I suspect there may be a bit more interest in young Max Sanders after tonight's match. For anyone who doesn't closely follow the academy players, the opening post gives you a little more detail on him.

As I have commented elsewhere, Albion have, quite remarkably, played EIGHT former scholars in the first team across two matches in the space of three days. Of course, we have so much to be grateful to Tony Bloom for, not least his investment in the academy. But it's one thing having the talent; it is quite another being prepared to play it.

Given that this thread is about Max Sanders, it is impossible not to mention what Chris Hughton said about the lad, and his decision to bring Beram Kayal on as a sub (instead of Sanders) against Liverpool on January 12 2019:-

It's about the squad and trusting. Arguably in a two in midfield we were always going to put Beram on first, but it's great experience for [Sanders].

Chris Hughton (literally in his own words) didn't trust the youngsters....and so Tony Bloom didn't trust HIM to manage his club. And little more than a year later, EIGHT former scholars have featured for the first team.

I love what Chris Hughton did for this club, but I'm even more grateful that we now have Graham Potter in charge.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Forgive me for bouncing one of my old threads, but I suspect there may be a bit more interest in young Max Sanders after tonight's match. For anyone who doesn't closely follow the academy players, the opening post gives you a little more detail on him.

As I have commented elsewhere, Albion have, quite remarkably, played EIGHT former scholars in the first team across two matches in the space of three days. Of course, we have so much to be grateful to Tony Bloom for, not least his investment in the academy. But it's one thing having the talent; it is quite another being prepared to play it.

Given that this thread is about Max Sanders, it is impossible not to mention what Chris Hughton said about the lad, and his decision to bring Beram Kayal on as a sub (instead of Sanders) against Liverpool on January 12 2019:-

Chris Hughton (literally in his own words) didn't trust the youngsters....and so Tony Bloom didn't trust HIM to manage his club. And little more than a year later, EIGHT former scholars have featured for the first team.

I love what Chris Hughton did for this club, but I'm even more grateful that we now have Graham Potter in charge

Spot on.

They were both the right men at exactly the right time.

If we had Potter first many of these fantastic academy players wouldn't be at the level they are today and maybe he wouldn't have been as successfull in getting us up with what we had. Hughton was the right man.

but 18 months ago, If Bloom hadn't acted when he did, we would've gone down under Hughton imho and now the academy prospects are blossoming Potter is exactly the right man to extract maximum potential from this fantastic talent pool and was an inspired choice.
He may look and talk like a shop assistant down the paint aisle at B&Q but this fella sure is a top coach!

Both brilliant men at the right time of the clubs development

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Did well. Very likely to start in the next round as well obviously, but I think he will be loaned out just before the window closes - competition in midfield is a bit rough and a year in the Championship would be very good for him.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Liked the look of him tonight. As much as I want us to make exciting signings I certainly can get used to us bringing through top quality young players through our own ranks, giving them chances to play and develop. Exciting times ahead

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I love what Chris Hughton did for this club, but I'm even more grateful that we now have Graham Potter in charge.

Going to stick up for Hughton on this. Max is not that close to the first team now and is still a young player, this was nearly two years ago.

Agree that it's great the young players are being brought through and Chris could have done more but when he was in charge the academy was relatively young and the current crop were a little undercooked

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yeah. Nailed it, again :thumbsup:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Man of the match for me tonight.

I loved his confidence, composure and poise on the ball. As I said on another thread, it reminded me of when Alzate broke through into the first time and shocked me with his confidence and ability on the ball in that company.

Look forward to seeing a lot more of him in the first team in the future.

When you consider how good Roberts was on the ball too, I love how we seem to be bringing through these players who are so comfortable on the ball and in possession.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think GP’s had his eye on Max since he came in. He picked him in his very first preseason team when he took over as manager.

Max’s loan to Wimbledon looks to have done him a world of good.

Will be interesting to see what he does next. Championship loan before the deadline I would guess.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Man of the match for me tonight.

I loved his confidence, composure and poise on the ball. As I said on another thread, it reminded me of when Alzate broke through into the first time and shocked me with his confidence and ability on the ball in that company.

Look forward to seeing a lot more of him in the first team in the future.

When you consider how good Roberts was on the ball too, I love how we seem to be bringing through these players who are so comfortable on the ball and in possession.

Same.

Agree with all of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here