Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To reach the next level...

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think we will strengthen on the wings and up front. March and Knocky haven’t really stepped up and Murray isn’t getting any younger. Not sure Ulloa is the answer although he is keen to stay.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I was thinking exactly that. It's a weird juxtaposition to be in. As a club obviously we want to reach the next level, But realistically the next level is becoming a mid table team. Can we bypass the next level and go straight to challenging for European places?? :afro:

Becoming a good mid table team is absolutely the next level for us, and with that means we have a good enough squad to start thinking about reaching an FA Cup and/or a League Cup final and the possibility of winning a trophy. Southampton, Stoke and even Palarse have achieved that in recent times by way of an example. I know they didn’t win but anything can happen in a cup final (a la Wigan). I’d settle for that right now for the immediate future.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well, I've been called boring for being unhappy with a meek and tame 2-0 defeat. Maybe I'm just disappointed that we've lost a cup game without really having too much of a go and without ever really committing to really trying to get into the game. We lacked quality and ambition pretty much all over the pitch in my opinion and I think we can get better, and will do better, and will be able to compete in quater finals and against teams like this one tonight. Obviously they're a fantastic team and the investment in the squad is incredible and can not compare to ours, but they were there for the taking tonight I thought and we haven't really laid a glove on them.

Ian Darke said at the end it was a bloodless victory for Man United, and that's what it was.

Either you were at a different game to me or this is a wind up.
The only quality on that pitch was wearing blue and white. At times we ripped Man U apart with our quick passing. We had chances to score and any team can create and fail to get a goal.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Next level? We are in it already and holding our own. If you're talking about seriously competing with the bigguns then I think this thread is about 4 or 5 seasons too early.

We looked like we were always in this game, all in all a good account of ourselves with some heroic performances. I enjoyed the way we played and also enjoyed the commentators saying things like, 'the Seagulls have landed', 'safe in the PL' etc etc etc.

UTA

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do you wonder why nobody ever asks you to a party. The biggest damp squib I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Agree. I do wonder at some NSC posters. I decided that since the game was a free hit I'd watch it as a 'neutral' might (it didn't really work, but....). What I saw was lots of good posession, neat passing, intercepts, & creative play from ourselves. They were a little more negative, but had one or two big physical players. I thought Dunk was at fault for their first goal, but Lukaku is decent. We never gave up, never let our heads drop. Lorcadia, as noted elsewhere looks promising. Also, no bookings or injuries. I was very proud of my team yesterday. We looked like equals and were treated like equals on the pitch. Onwards and upwards. What do people want, FFS? A kamikazi effort, plucky, foolhardy? We are not Juventus just yet....

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Our recruitment has been fantastic for three seasons now.
They will continue to identify what we need and who best fits the gap and who will blend in with the team.

It's clear we need further additions in centre midfield. Stephens is essential for us, without him we are a noticeably weaker team.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
We are doing this the right way with slow measured steps and, for me at least, that is the right way to do it. We're slowly growing into a very good lower mid table Premier League side. I'm sure we'll make a little more progress next season and the season after. We have bought wisely with players that are stepping up when they get their chance and performing well - it took Izquierdo and Schellotto a couple of games before they looked happy but now they're looking like an integral part of the machine and I'm certain that Locadia will do the same. Groß and Suttner have looked as though they've been playing for the Albion for years and have slotted in seamlessly. I am very happy with our progress.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Agree. I do wonder at some NSC posters. I decided that since the game was a free hit I'd watch it as a 'neutral' might (it didn't really work, but....). What I saw was lots of good posession, neat passing, intercepts, & creative play from ourselves. They were a little more negative, but had one or two big physical players. I thought Dunk was at fault for their first goal, but Lukaku is decent. We never gave up, never let our heads drop. Lorcadia, as noted elsewhere looks promising. Also, no bookings or injuries. I was very proud of my team yesterday. We looked like equals and were treated like equals on the pitch. Onwards and upwards. What do people want, FFS? A kamikazi effort, plucky, foolhardy? We are not Juventus just yet....

exactamundo.jpg

biddles911

May 12, 2014
We need to sign two better wide players than march and knockaert if we stay up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think they’ve got the talent to step up to this level though I agree neither have pulled up trees yet.

March has been the bigger disappointment for me. He looks totally devoid of confidence and is a shadow of the player he’s promised to be in recent seasons.

Knocky has shown flashes of the form he showed last season but our (and his) expectations were probably too high for this season, particularly as he’s had to do far more defending.

Think we need to strengthen significantly in this area though if only to give us more alternatives....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The PL bottom 3, Championship and League One are all riddled with clubs who are/used to be in the PL, where fans talked about the next level, targeting Europa League, etc.

Indeed, this season, us & Udders were PL virgins. If you look at the Championship teams, there's more ex-PL teams than PL virgins now.

For me,the next level is to be in the top 3 who sit under the top 6 PL - aka Everton-type - so when we finish 7th 8th or 9th on a regular basis, we will have achieved our next level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I still think they’ve got the talent to step up to this level though I agree neither have pulled up trees yet.

March has been the bigger disappointment for me. He looks totally devoid of confidence and is a shadow of the player he’s promised to be in recent seasons.

Knocky has shown flashes of the form he showed last season but our (and his) expectations were probably too high for this season, particularly as he’s had to do far more defending.

Think we need to strengthen significantly in this area though if only to give us more alternatives....

When was this?

I'm happy to be wrong but have always thought of March (when not injured) as a player who has always blown hot and cold.
I'm just seeing him this season as an extension of that.

I'll hazard a guess this gets written every year around March/April:-

'Next season is very important for Solly'.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not sure what exactly the next level is, particularly as we haven't secured this one yet. However, staying up is absolutely vital. The recruitment while Hughton has been here has been close to sensational, especially those signed on permanent deals rather than loans. It's this fact along with Hughton's ability to keep improving the team's performances and results that give me real hope for the next few seasons should we stay up this one.

I'd like to think that in another season or two we'll have enough quality right the way through the squad to be able to finish comfortably mid table and challenge seriously for both cups.

Got to stay up first though.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What we need is the cash from staying in the Prem for a few seasons,to build up our squad.I think the first team players are good enough,but look at ManU's bench last night-over £200 million worth.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Becoming a good mid table team is absolutely the next level for us, and with that means we have a good enough squad to start thinking about reaching an FA Cup and/or a League Cup final and the possibility of winning a trophy. Southampton, Stoke and even Palarse have achieved that in recent times by way of an example. I know they didn’t win but anything can happen in a cup final (a la Wigan). I’d settle for that right now for the immediate future.

You're right of course - it would be fantastic for the club and a brilliant achievement if we manage it. No reason why we can't imo!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we need to sign about 3 players who are 1st team quality and ready to put pressure on those in possession of the shirt. and do the same for a few windows thuis upping the general standard. Wouldnt it be good if the likes of Stephens Propper Schelotto etc were not guaranteed a start.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So what is the next level...to have mid table mediocrity for the rest of our football lives? We are here now in the promised land and now the trick is to stay up. Let's face it, we will never be a top 6 side...we haven't the money or name for a start. So the best we can shoot for is to stay in the division and win a cup, BUT we play second stringers in the cup as our priority is to stay in the premier.

As fantastic as this all is, ad I was as excited and giddy at our result against arsenal, we have hit the reality of all but the top six clubs. That is, the only thing to look forward to is a battle to avoid relegation and get the forty points. I am not saying that is a bad thing, I am just saying that it appears to ge the reality.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would like to be a team that can virtually guarantee finishing between 6th and 10th with no relegation fears and the odd win over a top 6 club .then I would think that we are established.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would like to be a team that can virtually guarantee finishing between 6th and 10th with no relegation fears and the odd win over a top 6 club .then I would think that we are established.

I think the chances of ever finishing 6th are a flight of fancy

Manchester City
Manchester United
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Tottenham

We are hardly in the same league as them with players, finance abs support. Let's not kid ourselves here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here