Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Loose toilet seat fitting

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Anyone know how to tighten up the fitting when you can't obviously access the underside.. ?

Do I need a plumber or should it be possible?
9e15de9f67dbeabc7c71a760588e63ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Can only assume you will have to cut the toilet out of place to get to the screws that you need to tighten it up, as they will be under the back of the toilet

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No....you just 'pop' the silver caps at the top of each fitting revealing a screw underneath. You then re-tighten that once it's all lined up correctly. Press the caps back in place and re-fit the seat.

Don’t unscrew it too far otherwise the “nut” or butterfly clip will fall into the void

(This is the only bit of diy that I’m good at!)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No....you just 'pop' the silver caps at the top of each fitting revealing a screw underneath. You then re-tighten that once it's all lined up correctly. Press the caps back in place and re-fit the seat.

Is the correct answer! The lugs in the photo look completely out of line. Seat must have been hiding most of the loo!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Don’t unscrew it too far otherwise the “nut” or butterfly clip will fall into the void

(This is the only bit of diy that I’m good at!)

Most of these are rubber rawlplug type things and a screw rather than butterfly clips and a bolt. Hope it’s the former as they are easier to work with.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Can only assume you will have to cut the toilet out of place to get to the screws that you need to tighten it up, as they will be under the back of the toilet

So you have no idea then :lolol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Shouldn't you be charging £50 for that advice plus a bit for unsociable hours :moo:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oddly at my parents' house, when they moved out in 1994, they still had the same seat as was there when they bought the house in 1963. Worked a treat. I think the fitting was made of bakelite. Four males pissing all over it never left a mark or caused the remotest kerfuffle.

However.....

In my later experience, even if you spend £50 on a seat, it will last no more that 4 or 5 years. The fittings come loose and corrode, and even the seat material itself will crack if the 'wrong type' of cleaner is used. Consequently bits of the seat look like chilblains, and when you sit on the ******* it wobbles and sometimes slips off the rim. Then I buy a new one. I must have spent £200 on toilet seats in the last 20 years. FFS. I am redoing the bathroom in an extension shortly and I'm thinking of having the entire bog carved from marble with an all in one seat connected to the bowl, as a piece. There really is no need to have a seat that lifts, FFS. Half the time the blokes forget to lift it....or they do lift it then leave it up which annoys the ladies. I think it's a massive bloody money making racket.

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
If you can't see the nut underneath, then its just a top fix fitting. If its wobbling all over the place you can remove the silver caps and try tightening the screws but the rubbers might be knackered.

Replacement ones on ebay, just did ours as it kept sliding around. If you end up swapping then the old rubbers normally drop down inside the back of the pan, not a problem, just clean up surfaces and push the new ones in and screw up to compress the rubber fitting and hold it tight.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toilet-S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here