Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Why is it so hard to get a job?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Sorry to vent on here, but I've been trying to find temporary work for 4 months.
I managed to get a job at a pub, I won't name them, but they ended up telling me they didn't want me because people with way more experience than me applied for the same job shortly after I started and they allegedly don't have time to train people (Why would you hire me in the first place when I had no experience of pub work? ???) :angry:.

I have signed up with almost every single agency in Brighton and have got nothing. I have a good amount of Office experience for someone my age. Is it because I'm a uni drop out? even though I'm probably going back in September and I haven't mentioned it anywhere in my CV?

Can anyone suggest things I'm doing wrong? Or other things I should do?

Last edited:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Have you tried the supermarkets?? Not sure what sort of money you’re after.

Tried the supermarkets, they don't really have any jobs other than a couple of night shifts or 1 short shift during the day, which from where I live isn't really worth it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Tried the supermarkets, they don't really have any jobs other than a couple of night shifts or 1 short shift during the day, which from where I live isn't really worth it.[/QUOTE]

Obviously I don't know the whole story, but from this, I wonder if are as dedicated as you say you are. Two night shifts would presumably bring in a few bob, and if you make a good impression, then surely more work would be forthcoming. It must be better than nothing.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Tried the supermarkets, they don't really have any jobs other than a couple of night shifts or 1 short shift during the day, which from where I live isn't really worth it.[/QUOTE]

Obviously I don't know the whole story, but from this, I wonder if are as dedicated as you say you are. Two night shifts would presumably bring in a few bob, and if you make a good impression, then surely more work would be forthcoming. It must be better than nothing.

It's more that a fair amount of the money would be spent on commuting. But you're right it probably is better than nothing for now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its incredibly frustrating, I do feel for you. My lad (22) was on agency work for a couple of years, zero hours contracts, mainly retail and it was cuffing useless. Never knew when he'd be working, and the pay was shite. Most of the time he was stuck at home on his Playstation. Thankfully, 2 year ago he landed a job at Parker Steel, right on our doorstep at Shoreham Port, and has been there 2 years now. He had a forklift licence, and off the back of that they took him on and have trained him up to drive the 16-tonne sideloaders, and he's never looked back. Long days and hard work, but decent pay.

Dunno what type of work you're looking for, but Cemex are hiring apparently (Basin Road, near Hove Lagoon). Similar type of work - I only know this as my lad mentioned it, but he's sticking with Parkers (its not all forklift stuff btw, he's worked his way up to that so far).

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Brighton isn't a great place for jobs and has shite loads of students and low paid workers.
Christ it's take your pick for jobs in most places around the southeast etc but Brighton just isn't a great place.

A lot of companies to be fair will avoid lazy students and experience helps that's for sure !!!

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
It gets annoying when some people I talk to just say "get a job!" right back at me.
What the **** do you think I've been trying to do for the last four months? :lolol: :angry:.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It gets annoying when some people I talk to just say get a job right back at me.
What the **** do you think I've been trying to do for the last four months? :lolol: :angry:.

To be fair if you can't get a job these days doing anything you must be very lazy or bloody useless:)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If you cant get a job at L&G, AMEX, Llyods or EDF give up.

Go direct to there websites and look at the job boards from the offices in brigbton and hove.

If not sign up to indeed there are loads of admin roles around.

If you want to do something different you must be able to get labouring roles, do you not have a network to ask?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I did agency work for a while, it did eventually lead to the sort of job I was looking for, but I went without any sort of temp work. Turned out the agency kept changing their staff, too, so I was lost in the shuffle until someone sent an email around to everyone on their books asking if anyone was still interested. I should have been a bit more pro-active and contacted them more often to remind them I was still looking, but it worked out in the end.

You say you're with the agencies, are you just waiting for them to contact you like I did, if so, perhaps try dropping them an email or popping in to their offices?

You have my sympathies. I think there are some people who have been fortunate to go from job to job who don't know what it can be like to struggle to find work, the depression and self doubt that sets in.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Prob going back to Uni or def going?

A few years of struggle at uni will serve you your whole life.Don't be an idiot and settle for dead end jobs.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
start a new thread... anyone know of any vacancies (or similar) and state what you would like to do/ can do/ are prepared to do in a short paragraph together with some details about education & experience and obviously location...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Prob going back to Uni or def going?

A few years of struggle at uni will serve you your whole life.Don't be an idiot and settle for dead end jobs.

Remembering why cart eater stopped his uni work this year, it was more than just a struggle. Calling him an idiot doesn't help.
He was badly depressed, so don't jump to conclusions.
[MENTION=28761]carteater[/MENTION] ignore sir Albion, who is just a wind up merchant.

Can your parents help you, whilst you do a couple of night shifts? Just doing that may lead to further employment.
It will also build your confidence & then you can think about uni again later in the year.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Look on indeed. There's plenty on there and quite a few that don't require experience. They may be NMW but it's certainly a start. I know Dolphin leisure in Shoreham are always after people, as are piggidy, hardly glamorous but there is usually something.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
I don't have kids yet, but if I did I wouldn't be giving them this advice. £50k+ debt is potentially an astronomical sacrifice to make if what you are studying isn't guaranteed to lead to a successful career, which a lot of the time it won't these days.

We are living in a transient, quickly evolving age, where the skills required in the future most likely don't even exist yet. I think university is a great move if you are absolutely certain you know what you want to do, and that you will be good at it (and there are jobs available) - but I know too many graduates in shit loads of debt, who aren't successful in their careers yet.. and maybe never will be.

I have a young son and if he doesn't want to go to Uni I will drag him there or disown him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here