Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southampton appoint Hughes

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
When will this merry-go-round end!?! What a joke. Managers doing well in the lower leagues so seldom get a chance these days - such a shame as the prem is fast becoming a laughing stock at the bottom end. Quick fix solutions, same old faces - so dull

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It will be interesting to see what happens now, unfortunately just a change of manager, any manager quite often makes a difference at least for 2 or 3 matches.
He hasn't got a get out of jail free card to play either, Southampton are not in the drop zone, only West Brom look doomed, if Southampton go down he will have no excuse, except that Hughes is a very poor manager.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Great news for us. If he doesn’t take Saints down this season, he’ll do it next season!

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
merry.JPG

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Tricky start v Wigan in the Cup. Blow that and he's struggling already.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Three 9th and two 13th place finishes at Stoke City. They've not got better since his departure.

This is not another team we can tick off.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Great news for us. If he doesn’t take Saints down this season, he’ll do it next season!

He's only contacted till the end of the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When will this merry-go-round end!?! What a joke. Managers doing well in the lower leagues so seldom get a chance these days - such a shame as the prem is fast becoming a laughing stock at the bottom end. Quick fix solutions, same old faces - so dull
While you are right, managers eventually stop getting chances. I doubt Pardew will be getting another PL job any time soon. Even once golden boy 'arry doesn't get them now. Hughes hasn't made failure a habit yet has he?

As for lower league managers, if they do well enough to get promoted, they stand a good chance of a bigger job before long. Which ones have done well and not been rewarded?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, I doubt he'd have done any worse than Pardew at West Brom.
But that was just an exceptionally poor appointment.

The manager merry-go-round is funny, but it's mostly understandable. If you put the best managers in charge of the 20 PL teams, 3 will still get relegated. That doesn't suddenly make them bad managers. Sometimes the players have to take a chunk of the responsibility. And it's a lot to ask of a team that's struggling to appoint someone with zero PL experience.

If Wilder continues to do well with Sheffield but doesn't get promoted, maybe he'll get an offer from a stronger Championship club, and his best chance to prove himself in the PL will be by getting promoted.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But that was just an exceptionally poor appointment.

The manager merry-go-round is funny, but it's mostly understandable. If you put the best managers in charge of the 20 PL teams, 3 will still get relegated. That doesn't suddenly make them bad managers. Sometimes the players have to take a chunk of the responsibility. And it's a lot to ask of a team that's struggling to appoint someone with zero PL experience.

If Wilder continues to do well with Sheffield but doesn't get promoted, maybe he'll get an offer from a stronger Championship club, and his best chance to prove himself in the PL will be by getting promoted.

If I was a West Brom fan, I'd have been MUCH happier with the appointment of Wilder rather than "Pards", who is a proven serial failure of a manager. It was a pissing-in-the-wind appointment, in the vague hope that he'd somehow achieve a short-term dead cat bounce that would just about scrape them out of the bottom 3. No wonder the chairman and chief exec have been binned off since he was brought in. An appalling, panicked decision and a rare occasion where, now that they're doomed, for once the right heads have actually rolled for it.

I always considered WBA to be a similar sized club that we should look to emulate - until this season that is. They're a shambles from top to bottom now. My abiding hope is that they drag that rancid FILTH down with them on the final day at Selhurst. Oh man, that'd be sweeeeet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here