Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southampton appoint Hughes

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
These established clubs appointing the likes of Pardew, Lambert, Hughes, Moyes, Hodgson and Allardyce make me want to spit. That’s why I hope all three promoted clubs stay up and some of these dinosaurs go down. Well done Swansea for
taking a risk, hope it pays off.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
When’s Charlie Austin back ? Key game against west ham because if they win will be full of confidence. Ideally a draw and keeps both teams in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Three 9th and two 13th place finishes at Stoke City. They've not got better since his departure.

This is not another team we can tick off.
I agree with you about them not being a team we can tick off. They have a tough run in but then so do we. I can't stand Hughes but I think he'll keep them up. Unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I would imagine that Hughes appointment as Southampton manager is of far more concern to clubs like Crystal Palace than us.

I do think there is a chance he will motivate Southampton far more than the rather insipid Mauricio Pelligrino.
I think his appointment should be of concern to all clubs in the mix-that includes us.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We're 6 points above them, Hughes arriving has me no more or less concerned about them than I was last week. :shrug:
I wish I had your confidence. Weren't we 6 points ahead of Newcastle at the end of last season?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I wish I had your confidence. Weren't we 6 points ahead of Newcastle at the end of last season?

I said 'no more or less concerned'. Last week I was concerned Southampton might pull 2 wins and a few draws together, maybe more. That concern has neither increased or decreased just because of a change of manager. That was my point really.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
And by all accounts, Palace and Saints were fighting each other tooth and nail to get the services of Pellegrino last summer.:)

Saints "won" the battle while Palace were lumbered with De Boer for 4 potentially very costly matches.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
While you are right, managers eventually stop getting chances. I doubt Pardew will be getting another PL job any time soon. Even once golden boy 'arry doesn't get them now. Hughes hasn't made failure a habit yet has he?

As for lower league managers, if they do well enough to get promoted, they stand a good chance of a bigger job before long. Which ones have done well and not been rewarded?

Given that the twitching old fraud turned 71 a couple of weeks ago, he had an extraordinarily long innings. I personally expect to see Pardew and Hughes taking the reigns at numrous more clubs yet. They have the experience, innit?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
This is a sensational appointment, for Mark Hughes.

Contract for EIGHT (league) matches. He'll be on a tidy little salary, for a couple of months' work, plus a MASSIVE seven-figure bonus if he keeps them up. If he doesn't he walks away untouched, and Pellegrino gets the blame.

Thing is, as the league stands, they've probably a 50% chance of survival, regardless of who is in charge. They could have appointed Craig David, and the odds are still that they MIGHT have secured the three wins from eight that they'll need.

He likes to to do other things from Wednesday through to Saturday. Can't see him being too animated on Sunday's either...

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
When’s Charlie Austin back ? Key game against west ham because if they win will be full of confidence. Ideally a draw and keeps both teams in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it matter? As soon as he is back he will break a toenail and be out again.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He likes to to do other things from Wednesday through to Saturday. Can't see him being too animated on Sunday's either...
Always reminds me of the "listener's email" to Mark and Lard at the time.

"I too met a girl on Monday and took her for a drink on Tuesday. However, when I suggested making love on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday before chilling on Sunday she slapped me round the face and walked out of the pub. Thank you Craig David!".

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Given that the twitching old fraud turned 71 a couple of weeks ago, he had an extraordinarily long innings.
He had a good innings because he used to do quite well. He's about the same age as Hodgson.

I personally expect to see Pardew and Hughes taking the reigns at numrous more clubs yet. They have the experience, innit?
Has Hughes been doing a bad job? We may not see Pardew getting another PL job.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here