Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion v Manchester United, FA Cup Final match REPORT

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
As FA Cup fever GRIPS us all, ahead of the game at Old Trafford, this weekend, cast your minds back 3 decades, and remind yourself what this grand competition used to mean. Read my FA Cup Final match report here; http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?730-Albion-2-2-Manchester-United-21-05-1983 (if you want)...

Back to Newtown Road, crack of dawn. Not ****ing this up. Rumours like wildfires, up and down the queue – “We’re only getting this many” – “We’re getting that many” – “There’s not enough” – “They’ve nearly all gone”. Tension. Success. Get in. Wem Ber Ley! The Albion are as good as relegated by now, but that seems entirely unimportant. We’ll soon be back up – it’s all about the FA Cup now.

All pretence of schooling is basically abandoned at this stage. Every lesson just excited babble. Are you going? Of course I’m bloody going. How are you getting there? Who are you going with? Do you know anyone with a spare? Not just in schools either – Brighton is now FA Cup Town. Every shop window displaying their (previously well hidden) love of the Albion. The Argus covers nothing else. There’s features on the news – not just the local gubbins – the actual proper news. Interviews on the pier, with various players, and with manager Jimmy Melia. Jimmy has a pair of white shoes – that alone the basis of half a dozen FA Cup stories. Balding little gnome Jimmy has a ‘glamour girl’, in Val Lloyd, on his arm – half a dozen more. The squad are flying to Wembley in a bloody helicopter, courtesy of shirt sponsors British Caledonian – more glamour. The Albion squad get involved in the ‘grand’ tradition of the FA Cup final single – “The Boys in the old Brighton blue” appear on Top of the Pops, no less. Amazing times.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Wow, brings it all flooding back... good and bad.

I was lucky enough to be at Anfield for the 5th round tie, one of the moments of my life. Especially for a 14 year old. What a **** Whiteside was and probably still is.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
This report is rather late...

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

I was lucky enough to be at Anfield for the 5th round tie, one of the moments of my life. Especially for a 14 year old. What a **** Whiteside was and probably still is.

Definitely still is, I reckon.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

20yrs old then brilliant game no one gave us a chance

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
22 years old. Smacked in the mouth by a cockney red walking up Wembley Way. Plenty of aggro in the stands. And we almost ****ing won. Snowflake wasn’t in the vocabulary back then. Don’t mean to sound like the PPF but that’s absolutely how it was.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Epic!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
25 years old at the time and went to all the games in the FA Cup
12 of us travelled up in the train with about 10 Utd fans all from Littlehampton
Only had 3 pints before the game in The Stage Door and The Shakespeare before the game and Church of The Poison Mind on the Juke Box in there as we wanted to enjoy the game in its entirety
Tube was stuck for about 30 minutes on the way to Wembley
Complete mayhem when the first goal went in and even worse when we equalised
I still have all the Argus stuff up in my loft about the Final
Great memories of a great day

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You've missed the bit where my transistor radio went flying across my bedroom when Liverpool equalised, only to be frantically turned on and off and on and off to try and get it working again!

I'd completely forgotten the disallowed goal in the final.

Great stuff as ever.

D

Deleted member 2719

Just so you can hone in on that era, here is some of the music in that year. :banana::rave::banana::rock:

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2018-03-14-22-06-40.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2018-03-14-22-06-40.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 228

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Bottom left of the Daily Mirror. £3000 at 21.7% with protection against sickness & redundancy.
I bet bottom left of the Daily Mirror today. Reclaim PPI

PS I've also got a loft full of all the papers from then.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The trip to Liverpool was amazing. My dad and I went up on a coach; I'm not sure who ran it, but we were sat at the back with a group of blokes who has a load of booze with them. I was quite merry by the time we reached Liverpool. I vividly recall driving through the city on the approach to Anfield and there were kids hanging off bridges flicking us Vs etc.

I also remember it was bloody freezing and it snowed as we were walking to the ground.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The trip to Liverpool was amazing. My dad and I went up on a coach; I'm not sure who ran it, but we were sat at the back with a group of blokes who has a load of booze with them. I was quite merry by the time we reached Liverpool. I vividly recall driving through the city on the approach to Anfield and there were kids hanging off bridges flicking us Vs etc.

I also remember it was bloody freezing and it snowed as we were walking to the ground.

We went to Liverpool on a King of The Road coach from Worthing
Got picked up at Littlehampton at 5.30am on Sunday and we had only just got back from a night out in Brighton so a few cans came with us on the way up

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Our coach Stopped in Warrington for beers and food enjoyed us beating Liverpool and even enjoyed the loss when Garry Stevens came on as sub and creased the post with a great shot.
Used the same pub when we went to United even offered a couple of United fans a Lift at the bus stop outside the pub to the game but they turned us down.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
22 years old. Smacked in the mouth by a cockney red walking up Wembley Way. Plenty of aggro in the stands. And we almost ****ing won. Snowflake wasn’t in the vocabulary back then. Don’t mean to sound like the PPF but that’s absolutely how it was.

It was, yes. The difference between the PPF, etc retelling of it all, and the reality though (as per your anecdote, and my sharpened coin to the temple) is that their 'romantic' version - that there was 'honour' amongst hoolies - that kids and 'scarfers' were left untroubled, is utter bollocks. The casual violence was endemic and indiscriminate.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here