Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Professor Stephen Hawking RIP

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, his family has said.

The British theoretical physicist was known for his groundbreaking work with black holes and relativity, and was the author of several popular science books including A Brief History of Time.

His children, Lucy, Robert and Tim, said: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years."

They praised his "courage and persistence" and said his "brilliance and humour" inspired people across the world.

"He once said, 'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.' We will miss him forever," they said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43396008

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Some individuals' lives are unimaginable to the rest of us. I think Stephen Hawking's falls into the category. Genius combined with overcoming adversity. RIP.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
One of my heroes. Such sad news.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very sad.

To have achieved all that he has would be incredible on its own, to do it in the face of physical limitations which caused doctors to say he wouldn't survive past his mid-20s (he got to 76) , even more so. I also loved the fact that he didn't take himself entirely seriously, as shown by his appearances on The Big Bang Theory and The Simpsons, to name but two.

As others have said, the word genius is overused, but the world really has lost a genius today.

RIP Professor Hawking

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.”

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP - Intellingent man

larus

RIP to Britain's most famous boffin, a very extraordinary person.

So he'll be a boffin in a coffin now.

When you look at the adversity he's had to deal with for so many years, it makes you think about the minor things we get hung up about.

I read A Brief History Of Time (the simplified version of his theories etc.) and even that was heavy going. Amazing mind, amazing will-power/self-motivation and has left his mark on the world. Now, not many can really say that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Incredible man who made the world a better place. I got a BBC News alert on my phone this morning and just read his name and thought "please, no". Honestly haven't felt like that about a famous death since Bowie. His humour and intelligence will be hugely missed. RIP.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
When he spoke, people listened. I read what he had to say and was in total awe of the man. Genius.

RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here