Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Official NFL 2018 Thread

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Wow now I’m even more shocked! Do you have any American in you? ;)

I’m a diehard NY Giants fan - grew up about 10-15 mins drive away from the stadium so growing up I would be going to games here and there especially when we had great teams. The 2007-08 and 2011-12 super bowl years were the most amazing times I have had as a sports fan as that is the only two championships I have ever witnessed a team I really strongly support win something. The giants, knicks, and Iran national Football team are the 3 teams I would call myself a diehard of and the only one to actually win silverware in my lifetime has been the Giants.

For college, I’m a Scarlet Knight (Rutgers). It’s been while since we have had a good team, pretty much since we switched conferences to the big 10 (arguably the toughest conference). We’ve had teams that have been ranked in the top 25 our best team was that 2007 team that was ranked either 4 or 5 and the years following that maintained decent ranks until the switch to the big 10. The switch of playing in the big east to going to the big 10 is like going from playing in the championship to the premier league pretty much so we need to be a bit patient and let our program have a chance to develop and recruit better (which is already happening).

Unlike most Americans, I have a slight preference to the NFL just because I think that it is the best professional sport in America as I previously mentioned and also maybe because the team I support is regarded as one of the most successful franchises in the league :D but aside from that I think just the overall level of talent in the NFL versus college makes it more entertaining.

College football is the most comparable thing Americans have to English football - doesn’t matter if your talking about a team in the premier league or league two....they will always have support and a fan base. In college football it is the same way. I have family in Arkansas and literally everywhere you go all you see is razorback logos everywhere.....and I mean everywhere.

None at all I'm afraid! (Although my aunt was a GI bride and lived in Texas for many years). And yeah, you're right about pre-season, but us Browns fans will take any win we can get! (And after the Albion's performance at Watford, it's something to cling on to).

For the college game I look out for USC (Trojans). I wouldn't say I'm a fan as such but one of my relatives by marriage went to USC and is a die-hard fan. I'm going to be seeing him next week (we're in California on holiday then) and we'll have a good chat about football. No one else in my family is interested! He has no interest in the NFL, although he looks out for former Trojans and hopes they do well. He lives in San Diego, born and raised there, and says he didn't mind when the Chargers left! (That's one thing of course a college will never do: Notre Dame isn't suddenly going to re-locate to Arizona for example).

Anyway, hopefully we'll see you on this thread for the rest of the season. I'm guessing my pre-season optimism will have disappeared long before the end of October!

Jul 7, 2003
Wow what pleasant surprise to find an NFL thread here. From a completely unbiased stand point, the NFL is hands down the best professional sport in the US for so many reasons. It’s always an exciting time of year once August hits.

The browns being on hardnocks this year is going to be brilliant....they’re the team everyone is going to be looking at with all their signings, after years and years of being shit. I still can’t see them winning more than 6-7 games looking at their schedule

Plenty of NFL fans on here both UK based and worldwide - the thread gets busier when the season kicks off (you can search for the previous years threads if you are interested).

Regular season NFL coverage these days is pretty good here as we get three games live on a Sunday, MNF plus Thursdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas fixtures on TV plus access to GamePass.

Much better than when I started in the 80's (pre-internet) and we had a weekly magazine show a week after the games had taken place. If you were lucky, one of the newspapers might print results and also teletext would eventually give us scores.

A few of us manage to get out to games each year as well as the London games. As a Broncos fan I have seen them a few times in Florida (Jax and Tampa) and will be making my first visit to Mile High at the start of October.

Look forward to you joining the discussion over the next few months.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Dallas Fan here and like to watch the Jags as well given the London connection so happy with how they went last year. Hoping to go to the Jags game corporate again this year.

Are we doing fantasy again?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Nice! UES is definitely the most affordable of the nice neighborhoods in Manhattan. I nearly moved there last summer but I had a good opportunity on this side of the river that I jumped on. I work in flat iron but I’m in UES regularly due to a lot of my friends being there. Hope you’re liking New York you should make it out to a giants game more often the distance between u and MetLife isn’t more than 15 miles but if you don’t have a car like most New Yorkers public transport is really annoying....UES is one of the few areas that isn’t too much of a hassle to have a car though

Pats fan here since the early 80’s when the kicker one John Smith lol, anyway I’m not expecting a good season for some reason!!!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
He lives in San Diego, born and raised there, and says he didn't mind when the Chargers left! (That's one thing of course a college will never do: Notre Dame isn't suddenly going to re-locate to Arizona for example).

Anyway, hopefully we'll see you on this thread for the rest of the season. I'm guessing my pre-season optimism will have disappeared long before the end of October!

The Chargers are one of my "other" teams (you'll see me at Albion games in the ESL, in either my Browns or Chargers jerseys) as I have a good friend who moved there when he was 10 about 35 years ago. Dan Fouts was also my first NFL hero. My mate was DEVASTATED when the Chargers moved to LA, and Im gutted I never got to see them play there when I visited in '94, or at Wembley as I was on holiday. At least I get to see the LA version this year :eek:) SD is a great city BTW...my favourite place in the States!

As for college football, my eldest boy loves FSU and wants to study there, & my youngest son follows the UCF Knights - Im a SDSU Aztecs fan and enjoy the "lesser" names of the Mountain West!

Keep the faith Brovion! I reckon we will surprise a few people this year (my optimism usually disappears by week 3 as well tbh) & can see us getting about 6 wins. That to me will be a REALLY successful season!!

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
After last season I'm not reading ANYTHING into pre-season! You're probably right to be worried, but one thing at a time. At least the QB threw some completed passes, baby steps and all that.

I read some of the post game reports, and by all accounts Chubb was mainly running behind the backups in NY....but the running game has worried me for a while now tbh. Im glad they traded The Crow as I never really got the impression he was going to be a real #1. With Hyde coming in, and Chubb drafted 2nd round, Im a bit more optimistic this season. Hopefully Duke will get more of the ball as I think he could be a real weapon, and he showed some real flashes of brilliance last year. Criminally under utilized his first 2 seasons though IMO.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The Chargers are one of my "other" teams (you'll see me at Albion games in the ESL, in either my Browns or Chargers jerseys) as I have a good friend who moved there when he was 10 about 35 years ago. Dan Fouts was also my first NFL hero. My mate was DEVASTATED when the Chargers moved to LA, and Im gutted I never got to see them play there when I visited in '94, or at Wembley as I was on holiday. At least I get to see the LA version this year :eek:) SD is a great city BTW...my favourite place in the States!

As for college football, my eldest boy loves FSU and wants to study there, & my youngest son follows the UCF Knights - Im a SDSU Aztecs fan and enjoy the "lesser" names of the Mountain West!

Keep the faith Brovion! I reckon we will surprise a few people this year (my optimism usually disappears by week 3 as well tbh) & can see us getting about 6 wins. That to me will be a REALLY successful season!!

Yeah, when I first met him (I knew he was a big football fan before I met him) I'd just assumed he'd be a Chargers fan. I was really surprised when he said he wasn't interested. He'd never even been to a game. (I suppose the nearest English equivalent is living in somewhere like Wigan but not being interested in Rugby League). Talking to him was the first time I realised just how big the College game is in the USA, he said growing up it was all they watched on TV with the NFL seen as a bit of a circus.

I said in my first post he 'didn't mind' when the Chargers left, but if anything he was slightly pleased as he didn't want the city to meet the cost of a new stadium, which apparently was a possibility.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Alright people, I am unable to run the leagues this year. If anyone wants to take them over as the owner let me know I can get them over to you as soon as today. I just don't have the time this year to run them :(

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Alright people, I am unable to run the leagues this year. If anyone wants to take them over as the owner let me know I can get them over to you as soon as today. I just don't have the time this year to run them :(

Bounced to see if anyone is willing to take over

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Can anyone recommend some decent NFL Podcasts?

The only one I listen too currently is the Ross Tucker Football Podcast which I find very interesting especially when Andrew Brandt is on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What lies ahead for the Raiders, mediocrity or total shitness as usual ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anyone recommend some decent NFL Podcasts?

The only one I listen too currently is the Ross Tucker Football Podcast which I find very interesting especially when Andrew Brandt is on.

Bill Simmons' Podcast network, The Ringer will extensively cover the NFL across his network.
You'll find it he does Friday pregame and Monday post game shows, along with a 'betting' show on Tuesday's (I think).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here