Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Official NFL 2018 Thread

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Some interesting results in last night's pre-season games, Giants went down 20-10 against the Browns. Odelle Beckham Jr was still being rested - I think he is on the way to being the best WR in the NFL, certainly the best paid

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's official! Cleveland finally has a quarterback! Superbowl here we come! (Ok, maybe two or three wins here we come)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wow what pleasant surprise to find an NFL thread here. From a completely unbiased stand point, the NFL is hands down the best professional sport in the US for so many reasons. It’s always an exciting time of year once August hits.

The browns being on hardnocks this year is going to be brilliant....they’re the team everyone is going to be looking at with all their signings, after years and years of being shit. I still can’t see them winning more than 6-7 games looking at their schedule

Yeah, there's a few of us on here who are big NFL fans. Indeed if I was only allowed one sport to watch for the rest of my life I would probably choose (American) football. Who do you follow? And also do you prefer NFL or College football?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
It's official! Cleveland finally has a quarterback! Superbowl here we come! (Ok, maybe two or three wins here we come)

Mayfield looked very solid in his debut - & threw some superb passes (albeit against mostly 2/3 stringers) Moved well, didn't make any stupid mistakes, and kept his eyes downfield going through his progressions. Already looks better than Kizer did after a whole season.
Still think Taylor should / will be the #1 though - & his stats weren't too shoddy either last night....5/5, 99yds. 1 TD.

The only thing that concerned me was the lack of a running game. It just never got going. Chubb with 15 rushes for 11 yards? Appreciate its only PS Game 1 - but either the O Line needs to wake up, or the RB's have to put a rocket up themselves.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Bortles looked confident, took the team for 1 drive...TD. Rather excitingly, Cody Kessler looked very assured as he took the majority of snaps, looks a big upgrade on Chad Henne :lol: .

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Bortles looked confident, took the team for 1 drive...TD. Rather excitingly, Cody Kessler looked very assured as he took the majority of snaps, looks a big upgrade on Chad Henne :lol: .

Kessler will do alright for you. If we had given him better protection his first year, he would've been a solid player under center for us I reckon. Running for his life every game until he was knocked out for the season really wasn't what he needed though, and we didn't really see anything of him again. Shame....seems to be a good game manager, & doesn't really have a big arm tbh, but definitely a better bet than Henne IMO.

PersianNYer15

Jul 25, 2018
New York/New Jersey
Yeah, there's a few of us on here who are big NFL fans. Indeed if I was only allowed one sport to watch for the rest of my life I would probably choose (American) football. Who do you follow? And also do you prefer NFL or College football?

Wow now I’m even more shocked! Do you have any American in you? ;)

I’m a diehard NY Giants fan - grew up about 10-15 mins drive away from the stadium so growing up I would be going to games here and there especially when we had great teams. The 2007-08 and 2011-12 super bowl years were the most amazing times I have had as a sports fan as that is the only two championships I have ever witnessed a team I really strongly support win something. The giants, knicks, and Iran national Football team are the 3 teams I would call myself a diehard of and the only one to actually win silverware in my lifetime has been the Giants.

For college, I’m a Scarlet Knight (Rutgers). It’s been while since we have had a good team, pretty much since we switched conferences to the big 10 (arguably the toughest conference). We’ve had teams that have been ranked in the top 25 our best team was that 2007 team that was ranked either 4 or 5 and the years following that maintained decent ranks until the switch to the big 10. The switch of playing in the big east to going to the big 10 is like going from playing in the championship to the premier league pretty much so we need to be a bit patient and let our program have a chance to develop and recruit better (which is already happening).

Unlike most Americans, I have a slight preference to the NFL just because I think that it is the best professional sport in America as I previously mentioned and also maybe because the team I support is regarded as one of the most successful franchises in the league :D but aside from that I think just the overall level of talent in the NFL versus college makes it more entertaining.

College football is the most comparable thing Americans have to English football - doesn’t matter if your talking about a team in the premier league or league two....they will always have support and a fan base. In college football it is the same way. I have family in Arkansas and literally everywhere you go all you see is razorback logos everywhere.....and I mean everywhere.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Wow now I’m even more shocked! Do you have any American in you? ;)

I’m a diehard NY Giants fan - grew up about 10-15 mins drive away from the stadium so growing up I would be going to games here and there especially when we had great teams. The 2007-08 and 2011-12 super bowl years were the most amazing times I have had as a sports fan as that is the only two championships I have ever witnessed a team I really strongly support win something. The giants, knicks, and Iran national Football team are the 3 teams I would call myself a diehard of and the only one to actually win silverware in my lifetime has been the Giants.

For college, I’m a Scarlet Knight (Rutgers). It’s been while since we have had a good team, pretty much since we switched conferences to the big 10 (arguably the toughest conference). We’ve had teams that have been ranked in the top 25 our best team was that 2007 team that was ranked either 4 or 5 and the years following that maintained decent ranks until the switch to the big 10. The switch of playing in the big east to going to the big 10 is like going from playing in the championship to the premier league pretty much so we need to be a bit patient and let our program have a chance to develop and recruit better (which is already happening).

Unlike most Americans, I have a slight preference to the NFL just because I think that it is the best professional sport in America as I previously mentioned and also maybe because the team I support is regarded as one of the most successful franchises in the league :D but aside from that I think just the overall level of talent in the NFL versus college makes it more entertaining.

College football is the most comparable thing Americans have to English football - doesn’t matter if your talking about a team in the premier league or league two....they will always have support and a fan base. In college football it is the same way. I have family in Arkansas and literally everywhere you go all you see is razorback logos everywhere.....and I mean everywhere.

Well, welcome to the board! And apologies for getting your pre season off to a bad start last night! ;o) WOOF WOOF!

Im the same as Brovion - been a die hard NFL & Browns fan since '86, and couldn't be without it. I played for the local team for a while as a kid, and my eldest son has just finished his first season of tackle football, picking up the Defensive Player of the Season award. Both my boys (Bucs & Dolphins) and wife (Vikings) love the game too...Sunday in our household is devoted to the NFL every week through the season!

As for the college game - I love sitting down on a Saturday night and tuning in to USTVNOW to watch a few games...I actually prefer it to the pro game now tbh. One of my friends (& old team mate from my playing days) actually spent a week with the Razorbacks a couple of years ago as a guest coach....great experience for him!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Kessler will do alright for you. If we had given him better protection his first year, he would've been a solid player under center for us I reckon. Running for his life every game until he was knocked out for the season really wasn't what he needed though, and we didn't really see anything of him again. Shame....seems to be a good game manager, & doesn't really have a big arm tbh, but definitely a better bet than Henne IMO.
Yeah, the lack of a big arm really isn’t an issue as we’re a run first team. I can see him getting some reps in the regular season, say the game is a blowout it makes perfect sense to give him a shot, couldn’t take that risk with Henne as he couldn’t get first down to save his life. As far as I’m aware, Kessler hasn’t thrown a single interception in 11v11 drills in camp. Nice.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’m a diehard NY Giants fan - grew up about 10-15 mins drive away from the stadium so growing up I would be going to games here and there especially when we had great teams.

Another Giants fan here, been to MetLife stadium twice and the old Giants Stadium once - how do you see Eli Manning's future panning out?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another Giants fan here, been to MetLife stadium twice and the old Giants Stadium once - how do you see Eli Manning's future panning out?

Badly?

Packers fan :wave:

Have been since the days of The Majik-Man Don Majkowski.

PersianNYer15

Jul 25, 2018
New York/New Jersey
Well, welcome to the board! And apologies for getting your pre season off to a bad start last night! ;o) WOOF WOOF!

Im the same as Brovion - been a die hard NFL & Browns fan since '86, and couldn't be without it. I played for the local team for a while as a kid, and my eldest son has just finished his first season of tackle football, picking up the Defensive Player of the Season award. Both my boys (Bucs & Dolphins) and wife (Vikings) love the game too...Sunday in our household is devoted to the NFL every week through the season!

As for the college game - I love sitting down on a Saturday night and tuning in to USTVNOW to watch a few games...I actually prefer it to the pro game now tbh. One of my friends (& old team mate from my playing days) actually spent a week with the Razorbacks a couple of years ago as a guest coach....great experience for him!

Hahaha usually I make fun of friends who get excited about pre season games but hey I guesseven a pre season win is something to celebrate as a browns fan so congrats to you :p again very cool to see support in UK I’d never expect to see a browns fan of all teams too! Your offense looks scary this year for any defenseto go up against especially when you guys get that specimen Josh Gordon back.

Have you made it out to London for any of the NFL games? Always wondered what the atmosphere is like. Also how didn’t your boys get to be Vikings and Bucs fans?

I’m also assuming a diehard like yourself plays fantasy right? Now that’s what makes football even better.....my draft is coming up in a few weeks I have been preping for it for sometime now.

What did your friend say about his time in Arkansas I’m very curious to hear about that. I have a distant relative who lives in Chichester and she comes out to Arkansas regularly and loves it which makes sense because I feel they have some resemblance.

Cheers brother! Good to see I’m not the only one here :D

I say Eli has another 2-3 years left in him I think he’s been let down a lot the last few years by his O-line and even at times the receivers (I still have nightmares from the packers - giants play off game in 2016). But this season will be very telling of where he’s at with a much more complete offense around him. I’m most excited about Saquon....higher vertical than odel, faster 40 yard dash than eziquiel Elliot, and stronger bench press than Luke Kuechly

I see your location is upper east side NYC - do you still live there?

PersianNYer15

Jul 25, 2018
New York/New Jersey
Yeah, been here 10 years now - live on York Avenue / 77th St.

UES is one of the cheaper locations in Manhattan to rent apartments.

Nice! UES is definitely the most affordable of the nice neighborhoods in Manhattan. I nearly moved there last summer but I had a good opportunity on this side of the river that I jumped on. I work in flat iron but I’m in UES regularly due to a lot of my friends being there. Hope you’re liking New York you should make it out to a giants game more often the distance between u and MetLife isn’t more than 15 miles but if you don’t have a car like most New Yorkers public transport is really annoying....UES is one of the few areas that isn’t too much of a hassle to have a car though

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Hahaha usually I make fun of friends who get excited about pre season games but hey I guesseven a pre season win is something to celebrate as a browns fan so congrats to you :p again very cool to see support in UK I’d never expect to see a browns fan of all teams too! Your offense looks scary this year for any defenseto go up against especially when you guys get that specimen Josh Gordon back.

Have you made it out to London for any of the NFL games? Always wondered what the atmosphere is like. Also how didn’t your boys get to be Vikings and Bucs fans?

I’m also assuming a diehard like yourself plays fantasy right? Now that’s what makes football even better.....my draft is coming up in a few weeks I have been preping for it for sometime now.

What did your friend say about his time in Arkansas I’m very curious to hear about that. I have a distant relative who lives in Chichester and she comes out to Arkansas regularly and loves it which makes sense because I feel they have some resemblance.

Weve been to quite a few of the London games (inc last years Browns v Vikings of course!) but the atmosphere doesn't come close to a game in the States. Much more subdued tbh, and I wouldn't be fussed if I didn't attend many more over here (my wife has bought tickets for the Chargers v Titans this season though). The trouble is the stadiums are full of fans from all 32 teams and not just the 2 playing, so not that many people are fussed about who wins.

My eldest boy is a Bucs fan as we said whoever won the SB the year he was born would be his team...and it was Tampa! As we had a family home an hour up the road and had been to a few games at Ray Jay it seemed the perfect fit. Still his #1 team to this day, although the G Men & OBJ are a close 2nd. We did the same for my youngest son, but as the Steelers won the year he was born I refused point blank to have him growing up a Pittsburgh fan - so he naturally found his way to supporting the Dolphins. As for the wife - she chose the Vikings back in the mid 80s because her favourite player from our local team (Brighton B52s) was a big fan of them, and she fancied the pants off him! I started following the Browns purely because I saw a photo of Kevin Mack barreling through the line against the Raiders in Gridiron magazine & thought he looked cool! Oh, how I wish i had carried on turning the page before choosing.... ;o)

My mate had a great time in Arkansas. I think he stayed with one of the coaches for the week, and was privy to all the film rooms, team meetings, practice facilities, as well as being on the sidelines for a game. Not sure he actually saw much else of the State tbh!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Mayfield looked very solid in his debut - & threw some superb passes (albeit against mostly 2/3 stringers) Moved well, didn't make any stupid mistakes, and kept his eyes downfield going through his progressions. Already looks better than Kizer did after a whole season.
Still think Taylor should / will be the #1 though - & his stats weren't too shoddy either last night....5/5, 99yds. 1 TD.

The only thing that concerned me was the lack of a running game. It just never got going. Chubb with 15 rushes for 11 yards? Appreciate its only PS Game 1 - but either the O Line needs to wake up, or the RB's have to put a rocket up themselves.

After last season I'm not reading ANYTHING into pre-season! You're probably right to be worried, but one thing at a time. At least the QB threw some completed passes, baby steps and all that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here