[Other Sport] The Official NFL 2018 Thread

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Texans, Cowboys, Ravens and Bears.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Bears defence is not only the best Foles will face this year but the best defence he will ever face.

Well that is an amazing statement. I would have thought the patriots defence was the strongest he would have faced, but you obviously study it a lot more that I do.

Jul 7, 2003
Well that is an amazing statement. I would have thought the patriots defence was the strongest he would have faced, but you obviously study it a lot more that I do.

Patriots are better known for offence than defence.

As for tonight's game, nice start for the Colts with an early TD at Houston to quieten the crowd.

Jul 7, 2003
...and follow up with another on their next possession.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I fancy the Colts to beat the Chiefs next week, and quite possibly to go all the way.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Watching the Cowboys Seahawks game. Looked like a really nasty injury on WR Allen Hurns from the Cowboys on his left ankle. You could see he was in pain - hopefully will be OK

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Fair play (once again) to the Colts - they started really well and the Texans were always playing catch up.

Some horrible 4th down plays mixed in there too. Urgh.

That said, it's been a very good season overall. From worst (4-12) to first (11-5) with that 9 game winning streak after a 0-3 start.

The AFC South as a whole was a lot more competitive this season with 3 of the 4 finishing in the top half of the AFC.

It's not hard to see where the Texans draft needs reside with Watson being the most sacked QB.

As good as Clowney and Watt are, they simply don't compensate for a porous O-Line. A franchise QB needs protection.

The Texans didn't have a single 1st or 2nd Round pick a year ago having given up a lot for Watson (and getting rid of Osweiler).

It'll be good to be back with the big selections again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We finally got round to watching The Blindside last night.

I instantly scrunched my eyes and squirmed at the opening sequence involving Giants & 'Skins.
Jnr saying 'what what... what are you doing' .... 'Ow that's horrible why did you make me watch that' :lol:

Enjoyed the film.

By jimminy I still loves Sandra Bullock, and I KNOW the feeling is mutual.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I always thought NFL was boring rubbish until recently. Whilst in the USA a couple of years ago, visiting a new American branch of our family, I was initiated into the Raven's fold and watched a thrilling game versus the Steelers on Christmas day. The next season I watched sporadically, but this season I have completely got the bug, missing only one game due to the unsociable airing time. I think having a connection to a team is what helped me enjoy it. I don't feel qualified to comment on the game in general yet, but it's great to have a new hobby. It's harder to get acquainted with individual players, what with there being so many of them and them wearing helmets doesn't help, but I'm getting there. I can't wait for tonight's game. Its when I realised I was getting really pissed off when 'we' lost that I knew I was in for life.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Our D is absolutely mighty. My worry is the injuries on offense and the need to keep penalties to a minimum. But this is a team that kept Kirk Cousins to 10 points in the last game, which was a must win situation for both teams - and we looked like we had fun doing it.

His name is Khalil Mack and he is awesome.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/06/khalil-mack-is-coming-and-eagles-dont-have-a-good-plan-for-him/

Mack attack

Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson fared well against Khalil Mack and the Raiders last season, but the Bears have more playmakers than that Oakland team. The Bears will line up Mack against left tackle Jason Peters, who turns 37 later this month, as often as they can. That doesn’t bode well for Foles’ bruised ribs.

http://www.philly.com/eagles/eagles...-mack-nfl-wildcard-jason-peters-20190105.html

Can the Eagles handle Bears' Khalil Mack and the new Monsters of the Midway?

As much as Philly fans adore their defense, no city revels in hard hits on cold afternoons more than Chicago. That’s what the Eagles will face at Soldier Field on Sunday in their wild-card game:

A defense that led the NFL in points (17.7), takeaways (36), interceptions (27), and passer rating (72.9), average rushing yards (80.0) and total rushing touchdowns (five). A defense that allowed the fewest plays of 20 yards or more (46). A defense that would have made Dick Butkus and Mike Singletary proud.

Somehow, the franchise that brought you the sweetest running back, Walter Payton, and the toughest tight end, Mike Ditka, remains defensive in its DNA. This edition is purebred. Its ball-hawking nature recalls the 1963 Bears team that intercepted 37 passes and allowed 10.7 points per game. It muzzled Y.A. Tittle and the Giants' top-ranked offense in the NFL championship game, with five interceptions in a 14-10 win.

This season, Vic Fangio’s unit amassed 50 sacks and 27 interceptions, the team’s largest combined total since 1985 and 1986, when the Bears ran the 46 defense installed by coordinator Buddy Ryan, who became the Eagles' head coach after the 1985 Bears shuffled to their only Super Bowl win. That season the Bears led the league in points, yards, interceptions, rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, takeaways, and first downs.

Are the Monsters of the Midway 2.0 as good as the previous versions? Maybe.

Like Pittsburgh’s Steel Curtain, Seattle’s Legion of Boom, and Ray Lewis' 2000 Ravens, the Bears realize that a Super Bowl win is their best path to validation.

“That’s the only thing on my mind,” Mack said. “You can feel it around the building. That’s the only thing on everybody’s mind. You can receive the individual awards, but ultimately you want to win the big game.”

Mack, 27, arrived Sept. 1 as the centerpiece of a blockbuster trade with Jon Gruden and the Raiders, a deal made even more extraordinary when the Bears gave him the six-year, $141 million contract extension Oakland declined to offer. Initial returns are good: Mack had 12 1/2 sacks in 14 games.

With all respect to Nagy, a rookie head coach who salvaged second-year quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, Mack was the main reason the Bears jumped from 5-11 in 2017 to 12-4 and NFC North champs.

“I knew I wanted to come in and make an impact, but, ultimately, you want to come in and win,” Mack said. “That’s all I care about. Now, to win in the playoffs -- that’s another step.”

It’s a step of which this team is very cognizant, particularly in light of what previous Bears defenses have accomplished. Some great teams pointedly ignore their past. Troy Polamalu and the the 2008 Steelers didn’t want to be known as the Iron Drapes. The Bears, however, relish being called the new Monsters of the Midway.

“I love it,” said Pro Bowl defensive tackle Akiem Hicks. "If people see you as a great defense, and the heritage and the culture of the team has been great defenses of the past, how is that bad?"

“You just know about the tradition of the defense here. For us to have that again, it means too much to the city. Everybody relates to the defense,” Nagy said. "In the end, we’d like to make it where it’s offense and defense. We get that, right now, this is where we’re at.

Nagy also understands how a connection to the past can fuel the present. After losses to Miami and New England dropped the Bears to 3-3, Nagy gave the team throwback Bears uniforms the night before they played the Jets on Oct. 28.

All of this hinged on the arrival of Mack. Fuller had nine interceptions in his previous four seasons combined. Jackson had two as a rookie. Fangio, now in his fourth season as the Bears' defensive coordinator, might have been fired along with John Fox after last season.

Mack makes everybody a lot better.

“He’s a difference-maker,” said Hicks, who compared Mack to Von Miller, the MVP when the Broncos won Super Bowl 50.

No one could stop Miller. Can Eagles tackles Lane Johnson and Jason Peters stop Mack?

“They’re some of the best in the game. It’s going to be a great challenge. Looking forward to it,” Mack said. “These are the matchups you dream of.”

Johnson and Peters are the first postseason obstacles between Mack and the new-jack Monsters assuring their spot in Bears history.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

https://nypost.com/2019/01/06/khalil-mack-is-coming-and-eagles-dont-have-a-good-plan-for-him/

Mack attack

Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson fared well against Khalil Mack and the Raiders last season, but the Bears have more playmakers than that Oakland team. The Bears will line up Mack against left tackle Jason Peters, who turns 37 later this month, as often as they can. That doesn’t bode well for Foles’ bruised ribs.

http://www.philly.com/eagles/eagles...-mack-nfl-wildcard-jason-peters-20190105.html

As much as Philly fans adore their defense, no city revels in hard hits on cold afternoons more than Chicago. That’s what the Eagles will face at Soldier Field on Sunday in their wild-card game:

A defense that led the NFL in points (17.7), takeaways (36), interceptions (27), and passer rating (72.9), average rushing yards (80.0) and total rushing touchdowns (five). A defense that allowed the fewest plays of 20 yards or more (46). A defense that would have made Dick Butkus and Mike Singletary proud.

Somehow, the franchise that brought you the sweetest running back, Walter Payton, and the toughest tight end, Mike Ditka, remains defensive in its DNA. This edition is purebred. Its ball-hawking nature recalls the 1963 Bears team that intercepted 37 passes and allowed 10.7 points per game. It muzzled Y.A. Tittle and the Giants' top-ranked offense in the NFL championship game, with five interceptions in a 14-10 win.

This season, Vic Fangio’s unit amassed 50 sacks and 27 interceptions, the team’s largest combined total since 1985 and 1986, when the Bears ran the 46 defense installed by coordinator Buddy Ryan, who became the Eagles' head coach after the 1985 Bears shuffled to their only Super Bowl win. That season the Bears led the league in points, yards, interceptions, rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, takeaways, and first downs.

Like Pittsburgh’s Steel Curtain, Seattle’s Legion of Boom, and Ray Lewis' 2000 Ravens, the Bears realize that a Super Bowl win is their best path to validation.

“That’s the only thing on my mind,” Mack said. “You can feel it around the building. That’s the only thing on everybody’s mind. You can receive the individual awards, but ultimately you want to win the big game.”

Mack, 27, arrived Sept. 1 as the centerpiece of a blockbuster trade with Jon Gruden and the Raiders, a deal made even more extraordinary when the Bears gave him the six-year, $141 million contract extension Oakland declined to offer. Initial returns are good: Mack had 12 1/2 sacks in 14 games.

With all respect to Nagy, a rookie head coach who salvaged second-year quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, Mack was the main reason the Bears jumped from 5-11 in 2017 to 12-4 and NFC North champs.

“I knew I wanted to come in and make an impact, but, ultimately, you want to come in and win,” Mack said. “That’s all I care about. Now, to win in the playoffs -- that’s another step.”

It’s a step of which this team is very cognizant, particularly in light of what previous Bears defenses have accomplished. Some great teams pointedly ignore their past. Troy Polamalu and the the 2008 Steelers didn’t want to be known as the Iron Drapes. The Bears, however, relish being called the new Monsters of the Midway.

“I love it,” said Pro Bowl defensive tackle Akiem Hicks. "If people see you as a great defense, and the heritage and the culture of the team has been great defenses of the past, how is that bad?"

“You just know about the tradition of the defense here. For us to have that again, it means too much to the city. Everybody relates to the defense,” Nagy said. "In the end, we’d like to make it where it’s offense and defense. We get that, right now, this is where we’re at.

Nagy also understands how a connection to the past can fuel the present. After losses to Miami and New England dropped the Bears to 3-3, Nagy gave the team throwback Bears uniforms the night before they played the Jets on Oct. 28.

All of this hinged on the arrival of Mack. Fuller had nine interceptions in his previous four seasons combined. Jackson had two as a rookie. Fangio, now in his fourth season as the Bears' defensive coordinator, might have been fired along with John Fox after last season.

“He’s a difference-maker,” said Hicks, who compared Mack to Von Miller, the MVP when the Broncos won Super Bowl 50.

No one could stop Miller. Can Eagles tackles Lane Johnson and Jason Peters stop Mack?

“They’re some of the best in the game. It’s going to be a great challenge. Looking forward to it,” Mack said. “These are the matchups you dream of.”

Johnson and Peters are the first postseason obstacles between Mack and the new-jack Monsters assuring their spot in Bears history.

And your point? We can all write or cut and paste fantastic evidential points about how a team are going to get shafted, but I prefer to look at it that everyone thought eagles were shit this year and we wouldn't get anywhere near any sort of playoff berth.

Yet here we are.

Whoever wins tonight, we have had a superb season and I have a sneaking suspicion about tonight.

Time will tell.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
And your point? We can all write or cut and paste fantastic evidential points about how a team are going to get shafted, but I prefer to look at it that everyone thought eagles were shit this year and we wouldn't get anywhere near any sort of playoff berth.

Yet here we are.

Whoever wins tonight, we have had a superb season and I have a sneaking suspicion about tonight.

Time will tell.

I really think the Eagles can pull it off - plus, my boss is a huge Eagles fan so they better had!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Mack attack

Thanks for that!

I'm a Bears fan because I first got in to Gridiron in the mid 80s. But it was offence I loved. The Mike Ditka coached, Walter Payton led team, and it wasn't even Payton. I loved Jim McMahan, mullet and all. Teenagers in the mid 80s thought mullets were cool. And they had a guy called the FRIDGE. An actual Fridge. I recently showed my son some you tube highlights of William Perry in an act of misty eyed reminiscence. He looked almost interested.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The Ravens finding out what happens when a team has worked your offence out and your QB is not capable of making the throws to change it. Big half time coming up for their coaching staff.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The Ravens finding out what happens when a team has worked your offence out and your QB is not capable of making the throws to change it. Big half time coming up for their coaching staff.

Would this be good time for Joe Flacco?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Would this be good time for Joe Flacco?

Don't know, they have been playing this scheme since week 11, and have looked way better doing so. Jackson just needs to make some passes. This Ravens side is the opposite to virtually every other team, they need to establish the pass rather than the run.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Cowboys take one further step!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That is a bullshit call. Followed by another bullshit call. Chargers gonna lose out here but should have had a TD in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here