Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Official NFL 2018 Thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Good work from the Chiefs in the free agency period. Letting go of Marcus Peters was just going to be an inevitability, the Chiefs didn't want to deal with his attitude anymore, and allegedly rang up every other team in the NFL asking if they wanted him. Swapping Alex Smith for Fuller was also a good deal (I am going to miss Smith but he isn't getting younger, and Mahomes is an outstandingly good QB for his age). Then on top of that adding Sammy Watkins brings another devastating option alongside Tyreek Hill.

3 yr/ 48m (30 guaranteed) is a huge risk on a player that was the Rams 4th receiver last year. I love Watkins talent but injury and ineffectiveness have dogged him in the NFL to date.

(I may still be bitter because I was all-in on Watkins in my NFL fantasy teams last year)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just thought I would leave this here

IMG_0181.JPG

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Gutted hes hung up his pads...was hoping to see him play one more year at least. But, as he said, his body just cant cope anymore. Best to get out while he still has his health.

Thanks JT#73....forever a Dawg!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gutted hes hung up his pads...was hoping to see him play one more year at least. But, as he said, his body just cant cope anymore. Best to get out while he still has his health.

Thanks JT#73....forever a Dawg!

Yeah, big loss. Think we might have won that one elusive game if he hadn't got crocked in October! Didn't realise Joe had been a Pro-Bowler ten times, that's some achievement, especially playing for a struggling team.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yeah, big loss. Think we might have won that one elusive game if he hadn't got crocked in October! Didn't realise Joe had been a Pro-Bowler ten times, that's some achievement, especially playing for a struggling team.

Given the pro-bowl has become more of a popularity contest in recent years I'd point to the 7x First Team All-Pro & 2x Second Team All-Pro. An amazing level of consistency at a very important position.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The South is on the rise this year. Even the Colts might sort themselves out in the draft with all their picks.

Titans and Jags both look strong and my Texans have picked up the Honey Badger for 7 million on a 1 year deal.

It promises to be some great Romeo Crennel defence for the 1st half of the opening game of the season before JJ gets injured.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Big draft/trade news, the Jets have moved up to 1:3 in a trade with Indy for 1:6, 2:5, 2:17 and next years second.

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/draft2018...-no-3-pick-nfl-draft-trade-indianapolis-colts

So the Jets are definitely taking QB at 3 and Indy acquire some decent picks for a much needed overhaul of the roster. Supposedly the Jets tried to get 1:2 from the Giants but were unsuccessful so we can take from that either the Giants are set on QB at 1:2 or their asking price to move is astronomical.

The Bills who have two first round picks this year and a gaping hole at QB must be eyeing up New York's pick at 1:2 or the Browns second pick at 1:4 to pick up a QB. I'd be very surprised if the first 4 picks in this draft aren't quarterbacks.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’m curious about the Jags business this off season. Obviously signing Andrew Norwell is a huge plus and the MO will still be to run the ball on every down. We’ll be starting a new era at WR too, with Marqise ‘stone hands’ Lee as the WR1 and rookies Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook scrapping with FA Donte Moncrief to get reps as WR2 and as the slot receiver. Tight End Austin Sefarian-Jenkins *should* be an upgrade on Mercedes Lewis and ex Skins TE Niles Paul should give us greater depth. The loss of Aaron Colvin at Nickel was a blow, hopefully DJ Hayden will fill the void, similarly, Paul Posluzny’s surprise retirement means Myles Jack is now a lock at MLB leaving us light at OLB. Some interesting decisions to be made in the draft. Overall I can’t quite decide if there’s been a significant swing either positively or negatively.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
With the possible return of Manziel, all that's left is for Tim Tebow to put his baseball bat down and the sports world will have officially gone mad.

"When I first got in the league, did I have some leeway? Sure I did, but I have exhausted all leeway and all second chances," Manziel said. "This isn't the second chance. This is the 35th chance. This is the last of the last chances to show people that I've made a drastic change in my life, and it's for the better and I'm happy with where I'm at."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/johnny-manziel-to-reportedly-throw-at-texas-a-m-pro-day-in-front-of-nfl-scouts/

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Manziel will get a call from someone I expect - and be used as a camp body during July before being cut. I cant see him getting on a roster tbh, even if he has turned himself around.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I’m curious about the Jags business this off season. Obviously signing Andrew Norwell is a huge plus and the MO will still be to run the ball on every down. We’ll be starting a new era at WR too, with Marqise ‘stone hands’ Lee as the WR1 and rookies Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook scrapping with FA Donte Moncrief to get reps as WR2 and as the slot receiver. Tight End Austin Sefarian-Jenkins *should* be an upgrade on Mercedes Lewis and ex Skins TE Niles Paul should give us greater depth. The loss of Aaron Colvin at Nickel was a blow, hopefully DJ Hayden will fill the void, similarly, Paul Posluzny’s surprise retirement means Myles Jack is now a lock at MLB leaving us light at OLB. Some interesting decisions to be made in the draft. Overall I can’t quite decide if there’s been a significant swing either positively or negatively.

What do you make of the Bortles contract?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With the possible return of Manziel, all that's left is for Tim Tebow to put his baseball bat down and the sports world will have officially gone mad.
But not mad enough to give Kaepernick a try out. :rolleyes:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
What do you make of the Bortles contract?

From what I understand, we structured it like it’s another one year deal so we can get out pretty cheaply next year if he’s no good. Using a high pick in the draft on a QB doesn't make sense as we've got a 2-3 year window to win it now with this D and realistically it’d take a rookie that long to get into top gear.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
From what I understand, we structured it like it’s another one year deal so we can get out pretty cheaply next year if he’s no good. Using a high pick in the draft on a QB doesn't make sense as we've got a 2-3 year window to win it now with this D and realistically it’d take a rookie that long to get into top gear.

If he's no good? ???

Jags with a proper QB would be very strong Super Bowl contenders, with Bortles that (truly excellent) defence has to keep teams to less than 15 every week. At some point they will not manage that when it matters. I don't know enough about that their cap space but if I was the Jags GM I would move heaven and earth to get a better QB in this season whilst the defence is still together and affordable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here