Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Keep the Penny in circulation?

Keep the Penny in circulation

• Yes

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 112 69.6%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why bother with the collection boxes then? Pretty sure everyone involved in collecting for Weston Park Hospital (local cancer hospital) is a volunteer and that's generally the box I chuck my coppers into.
Sounds good if they're all volunteers. Charities aren't all run equally well.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
TBH is doesn't actually take that long to count coppers anyway. Can probably do a penny a second, 36 quid in an hour.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Only if there is legislation to stop shops still charging the same prices - in SA they scrapped the 5 cent coin, but shops still charged x.95c per item. When it came to pay, they kept the 5c change. The thieving ********.

Afterall, look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves. :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Slippery slope to price rises of course ...

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Taking away pennies will be only the start. Next they will be banning all cash and making our financial transactions all digital.

A few years ago I would have thought that was a good idea but after watching a documentary on the BBC, Billion dollar deals, I changed my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTobw-Cph7U

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'd get rid of 5ps, too.

Then - when the pound is worth about the same as a penny was 40 years ago, revalue the currency so a new penny is introduced, like the French did in 1960.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When kids aged 4 or 5 can't be bothered to count their coppers you know it's time to get rid.

If I was PM I'd like to get all the coppers in, melt them down and make some sort of massive statue like the Colossus of Rhodes.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was hoping that after Brexit the farthing, halfpenny, penny, shilling florin and half crown would be resurrected. We had them in the Fifties with blue passports. Let's make Britain Great again!

I'll bet you a Groat they start making a Guinea coin before the decade is out ....

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
IMHO they are functionally redundant. Annoying how so many things are £x.99, as opposed to £x.01. Pennies now are only good for luzzing into fountains, wells and in the direction of crappy second-rate Premier League grounds.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Why bother with the collection boxes then? Pretty sure everyone involved in collecting for Weston Park Hospital (local cancer hospital) is a volunteer and that's generally the box I chuck my coppers into.

Personally I'd feel embarrassed throwing a handful of pennies or 2p coins in a charity jar. The same if someone's busking in town. It seems almost degrading to drop a handful of coppers in front of them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here