Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Keep the Penny in circulation?

Keep the Penny in circulation

• Yes

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 112 69.6%

• Total voters

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
So, it was only a matter of time before the government would "consult" on this. Lets help them on their merry way. For me it is a yes. I save em then bank em.. #prayforthecopperone

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Get rid. Completely pointless keeping it in circulation.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It is pointless but I chuck every 1p / 2p that I get in change at a pub / shop in the charity box and I guess a lot of people do. Sure that adds up to quite a lot.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I was hoping that after Brexit the farthing, halfpenny, penny, shilling florin and half crown would be resurrected. We had them in the Fifties with blue passports. Let's make Britain Great again!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd get rid of pennies and two pences without hesitation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is pointless but I chuck every 1p / 2p that I get in change at a pub / shop in the charity box and I guess a lot of people do. Sure that adds up to quite a lot.
It probably does, but the time and effort (wages) for the charities to count it and bank probably cancels out the amount they get.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I was hoping that after Brexit the farthing, halfpenny, penny, shilling florin and half crown would be resurrected. We had them in the Fifties with blue passports. Let's make Britain Great again!

What you don't want to bring back the three penny piece, the sixpence, the crown or the long forgotten groat. Britain will never be great again without these old cons of the realm

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
everyone saying get rid, you do realise everything will go up to the nearest 5p, as change wont be given?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I use mine up though - Toward a pint in the pub, the odd bus fare, newspapers etc, etc - I never let them build up in my change and I use them.

If I'm in my local shop buying a couple of things and it comes to £6.02 for example, I'd just give over a tenner and 2p without thinking about it for 4 £1 coins back as change and the newsagent thanks me for it - they can be handy if you're not accumulating and lugging round loads of them, which I don't.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
everyone saying get rid, you do realise everything will go up to the nearest 5p, as change wont be given?

Don’t be daft. You can’t blame Brexit increases on this.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Did you know ... 1p and 2p only have a legal tender up to 20 pence. Fascinating stuff. ???

When I was younger I got about 30 quid from saved coppers chucked into one of those change machines in a supermarket. I was well chuffed.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I guess for bigger charities. Not sure the local little ones can do that.

Why bother with the collection boxes then? Pretty sure everyone involved in collecting for Weston Park Hospital (local cancer hospital) is a volunteer and that's generally the box I chuck my coppers into.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here