Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tme to scrap Russia 2018

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We can't cancel it, but we can withdraw... and hopefully some of our friends would too. It is a possibility - they certainly wouldn't like it.

Friends?

Why would anyone imagine we still have friends beyond our borders........except for Theresa May of course and her cabinet.........but as our former allies increasingly point out, they are entirely deluded.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Friends?

Why would anyone imagine we still have friends beyond our borders........except for Theresa May of course and her cabinet.........but as our former allies increasingly point out, they are entirely deluded.

Put on some rose tinted glasses and you'd be amazed how much of the world is pink

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but maybe we should just lose all three group games and get out of there. No one wants to be there - not the FA, the fans, even the free-loading dignitaries and politicians might be giving the five-star trough a swerve after the spy poisoning.

On the other hand, the idea of someone English lifting the World Cup and saying "This one is for Sergei Skripal and Alexander Litvinenko" is quite appealing.

Impossible on 2 counts!
1. We have no chance of winning.
2. Even if we did, nobody in the England squad could remember those names or pronounce them :nono:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
and The USA, Canada, Netherlands and New Zealand.

They won't get more than 31 other countries to show up at this rate...

Fantastic show of solidarity from the other 170-odd.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The parade of benighted left wing miserablists is a boring as it is predictable.

Has Jezza been on Russia Today giving them a robust talking to yet?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Time to cancel The World Cup in Russia this Summer. Play it elsewhere, we have the facilities, as this will hit Russia financially.

There are not many things we can do that Russia would actually care about, but "IF" us, Germany, France and the US pull out, and maybe take Brazil with us, I think they might actually care about that - it would completely devalue the tournament and embarrass them on the world stage ... won't happen, though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
On a sensible note, if the government ordered (and the FA acquiesed to) England's withdrawal one immediate and long lasting impact would almost certainly be exclusion from Uefa and Fifa who have a strict rule about government interference in national governing bodies and history of enforcing them (admittedly in "third world" nations). I suspect they would love to hit us hard.
We are already actively seeking international pariah status I guess so I doubt there will be any sympathy, especially from our "friends" in Scotland, Ireland & Wales.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
FIFA need to grow some balls they cocked up by awarding Russia the World Cup in the first place.
English fans will be targets of the Russian thugs.
The FA need to think carfully.
Drugs cheats and they awarded a World Cup.
However we could make things worse as the Russian Pepole thing we got it in for them.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We didn't really invent football though... the Chinese did.

All we did was write standardised rules down so a bunch of public schoolboys could play each other.

Yes we did. The game known around the world as football or soccer was invented and codified in England. The Chinese had nothing to do with it. They played a different game with different rules.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patreon
Jan 30, 2008
Of coarse we can do it dont you rodneys understand what taking back control means ??? we invented the game so can host the World cup easy street and keep the lefties from russia out unless they want to go toe to toe

Three words

England World Cup 2018

regards
DR

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Absolute bollox, us pulling out of the world cup will not even register on the world stage and probably play in to Putin's former KGB/Mafia government's hands spinning the news to re enforce the Russian public's view the west hates the east.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but maybe we should just lose all three group games and get out of there. No one wants to be there - not the FA, the fans, even the free-loading dignitaries and politicians might be giving the five-star trough a swerve after the spy poisoning.

On the other hand, the idea of someone English lifting the World Cup and saying "This one is for Sergei Skripal and Alexander Litvinenko" is quite appealing.

Blimey, that explains England's miserable performances at recent World Cups and European Championships (although I have to admit I don't remember what we were protesting about on those occasions).

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
FIFA need to grow some balls they cocked up by awarding Russia the World Cup in the first place.
English fans will be targets of the Russian thugs.
The FA need to think carfully.
Drugs cheats and they awarded a World Cup.
However we could make things worse as the Russian Pepole thing we got it in for them.
It will be interesting to see Russia win the World Cup after their players run around the pitch at a top speed of 54 mph.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
This a reaction to the Harry Kane injury , the thought of Glen Murray starting has obviously upset the FA applecart

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I personally don't think anyone would be that arsed if England withdrew, no matter how noble the gesture. It happened with Brexit.

"We'll show you, we'll boycott that, and the whole thing will fall apart".

Look how that went. The EU was largely unaffected, just like the World Cup would be.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
With the rhetoric being flung about, especially that Tory who said this morning that nothing was off the table, presumably the nukes are being sharpened as we speak and that will solve the problem about going to the WC.

Shame that putin announced last week that they had developed cruise missiles that the western defences wouldn't even spot!

I blame brexit and thatcher in equal measure

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
We should issue a partial withdrawal. Tell them we will stay for no longer than two weeks. It makes it easier for England as it falls in line with expectations.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I would have thought that withdrawing from WC 2018 would have been on the basis of the gov sanctioned militia/hoolie element that have made it quite clear they are going to target English fans. No real surprise there but would you want to go to a country hell bent on making a point about being 'the hardest' in the world? France was just a warm up. Now with the poison story stirring things up I think the reception for our fans will be even less hospitable, if that's possible. I would not go near it, and fear for the safety of any man, woman or child openly supporting England in Russia this year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here