Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hughton for Ireland

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not even a rumour. Chatting with a couple of Irish football fans (Man Utd obviously) and they both said matter of factly (is that a word?) how Chris Hughton WILL be manager of the Rep of Ireland when we've finished with him. It wasn't a maybe but both guys just said it as if it was signed, sealed & delivered. Very highly respected bloke.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
both said matter of factly (is that a word?) how Chris Hughton WILL be manager of the Rep of Ireland when we've finished with him. It wasn't a maybe but both guys just said it as if it was signed, sealed & delivered.
A bit early to be trying to predict that. If he continues to do well with us then that could be a long time. If he does badly and loses his job then what if there's someone already in the Ireland job doing well? And what if he does brilliantly with us and is offered a top job?

Sounds like a rumour to me.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not even a rumour. Chatting with a couple of Irish football fans (Man Utd obviously) and they both said matter of factly (is that a word?) how Chris Hughton WILL be manager of the Rep of Ireland when we've finished with him. It wasn't a maybe but both guys just said it as if it was signed, sealed & delivered. Very highly respected bloke.

I wouldn't accept the 'matter of fact' word of anyone except the man himself and the FAI.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if it was last job.

It may come from here:

https://www.balls.ie/football/chris-hughton-ireland-brighton-383463

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's nearly 60, and although he looks pretty good on it, he may be thinking of retirement in the not too distant future (not for a few years, though, I hope!) And he may consider that going out on a high by retiring as a fabulously successful Brighton manager would be a good end his career.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I wouldn't accept the 'matter of fact' word of anyone except the man himself and the FAI.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if it was last job.

It may come from here:

https://www.balls.ie/football/chris-hughton-ireland-brighton-383463

He may be a good manager but he's not a very good forecaster:

Chris Hughton said:
Can we become like Stoke, Southampton, West Brom, a team regularly in the division? That us what the aim and objectives are.
:facepalm:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He may be a good manager but he's not a very good forecaster:

:facepalm:

He's obviously defeatist about our prospects for survival. Did he mean the Championship ? :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

What do Man United fans know about football?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not according to his daughter international football is a long way off in his plans.

That's what Aisha told me when I got chatting to her after the Derby v Huddersfield game had finished on Easter Monday last year and asked her this question in regards to the Ireland job - 'He's got no interest in international football'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

They could be in for a very long wait then. Unless his touchline antics get COMPLETELY out of hand, he'll be here for the long haul whether we stay up or not.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

How can they know something like that ? Perhaps you should have asked how they know that. I tend to ask more questions when people start to just open their mouths and let anything spill out. He manages in the PL and that is where he loves Managing. That is why he came to Brighton because he felt he could get them there.

A new and up and coming Irish Manager could come to prominence in the next few years, who could end up being Ireland manager, so whoever you spoke to is probably just guessing and making up stories. Were they drunk or sniffing glue ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it's the obvious 'exit strategy' from Brighton for Hughton whenever that is, hopefully not for 2/3 years yet. He's earned it, he'd be good at it, would be a very popular choice, and he'll be at a time of life when the very different demands of international management, ie not the day to day, might be very attractive. Will come down to timing I suspect, and the problem will be if he is offered it before he/we are ready.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
He is worth so much more than that.

International management is the graveyard (and nursery) of football. Chris has proven himself to be one of the most competent men in the game and finally it is getting noticed. If he ends up in the Ireland job in the next 5 years then you can assume things went badly wrong for him.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He is worth so much more than that.

International management is the graveyard (and nursery) of football. Chris has proven himself to be one of the most competent men in the game and finally it is getting noticed. If he ends up in the Ireland job in the next 5 years then you can assume things went badly wrong for him.

Completely disagree with that, you're forgetting he is now 59 despite looking fitter than most 40-year-olds. The Ireland job wouldn't be some 'take what I can get' gig for Hughton. He would probably love to do it one day, but won't say that publicly because he is a total professional and is in a big job for the foreseeable future.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I didn't realise the Irish FA HQ was based in Brighton :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Always believe a Paddy :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here