Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pellegrino Gone

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why 'the verge of'?

Potter HAS taken his side up three tiers, and into Europe, and done really well.

If Cowley took Lincoln to 5th in the Championship, won the FA Cup, and knocked Galatasary out of Europe, then yes, I'd suggest he would be well worthy of consideration for the Southampton job :shrug:

Taking Lincoln up 3 tiers wouldnt get them in Europe in this country just to The Premier. It is all relevant to the standard that they are playing in.which in Sweden isnt very good. or high.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You’d have to be pretty desperate to take on a club with Southampton’s prospects unless you are happy to play Championship football next season. I suspect Potter would be looking at managing in the Premier League next season with the Saints job being too risky.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Taking Lincoln up 3 tiers wouldnt get them in Europe in this country just to The Premier. It is all relevant to the standard that they are playing in.which in Sweden isnt very good. or high.

You're being obtuse. His job as manager of a team in SWEDEN, on a limited budget compared to other teams in SWEDEN, is to win football matches, against other SWEDISH teams, and progress as far as they can through the SWEDISH league system. What the standard actually is, is largely irrelevant - his record of recruitment, and the methods he has implemented, over a five year period, have massively outperformed his rivals / peers. He's the qualified them for Europe, and outperformed lots more teams, from 'better' leagues, with bigger budgets and reputations.

There is absolutely no reason he can't take those methods, and transfer them to a different team, with a different budget, in a different league system.

But, you're right, there is also the option of appointing Phil Brown or Billy Davies.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Irrespective of the standard of Swedish football, he has achieved an enormous amount, which might indicate he is good at man management, getting the best out of what he has got, good recruitment and helping people fit in, setting the right tone for the club and the team - all sorts of other things which a head coach/manager needs to be good at. He might, just might be able to do it at the highest level.

Even Pep Guardiola had to start somewhere.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
You're being obtuse. His job as manager of a team in SWEDEN, on a limited budget compared to other teams in SWEDEN, is to win football matches, against other SWEDISH teams, and progress as far as they can through the SWEDISH league system. What the standard actually is, is largely irrelevant - his record of recruitment, and the methods he has implemented, over a five year period, have massively outperformed his rivals / peers. He's the qualified them for Europe, and outperformed lots more teams, from 'better' leagues, with bigger budgets and reputations.

There is absolutely no reason he can't take those methods, and transfer them to a different team, with a different budget, in a different league system.

But, you're right, there is also the option of appointing Phil Brown or Billy Davies.

Years of practice!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
You’d have to be pretty desperate to take on a club with Southampton’s prospects unless you are happy to play Championship football next season. I suspect Potter would be looking at managing in the Premier League next season with the Saints job being too risky.

Maybe he would be good enough to keep them up.

And maybe he would be prepared to take that risk - to be in it for the long term. There is far too much short-termism in English Football, and in fact in our society/economy as a whole......

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think that was the kind of apology NooBHA was hoping for.

Not to worry. I suppose that keeps us ''under the radar'' for getting to our second cup final of the season in a few weeks time Triggaaar. Thanks for coming to our defence though.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Will this give them a little lift? It would be excellent if they can stay ahead of Crystal Palace

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
South Today said Hughes was favourite, could be good news

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Will this give them a little lift? It would be excellent if they can stay ahead of Crystal Palace

I doubt it, they've got a nightmare run in. When I checked their fixtures prior to Newcastle I gave them 5 to 8 points, and I was being generous.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I doubt it, they've got a nightmare run in. When I checked their fixtures prior to Newcastle I gave them 5 to 8 points, and I was being generous.

Yup. They've left it too late I think. Their run home is similar to ours from here on.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Mark Hughes possibly the man they end up turning to, reeks of cluelessness, desperation and short termism. They will go down if not this season then within the next few if they choose him or some other recycled appointment

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The merry-go-round continues... I have no idea what the question is if they think Mark Hughes is the answer!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Yup. They've left it too late I think. Their run home is similar to ours from here on.

This what irritates me about them, I would say their run is way worse than ours and yet we get accused of having the worst run in. Shit never sticks to them. I went through all the teams remaining fixures in the bottom 8 a week or so ago before they lost to newcastle and my respose was F in EL when I saw theres.

To get to 40 points they need 4 wins. If they lose against the three "top 6" clubs they need 4 wins from the other 5 games. A home derby with Bournemouth and 3 from 4 six pointer away games. Even with a bounce that a massive ask for a team with one win in 17.

there best hope is to beat teams who have nothing to play for, which is our back up as well as the 6 point march we have on them.

There is no way I would swap our fixtures for theirs, would you?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The merry-go-round continues... I have no idea what the question is if they think Mark Hughes is the answer!

When you appoint Mark Hughes you don't get Mark Hughes. He comes with a ten man ''Entourage'' - He doesn't do any coaching himself. In fact I think all he does is pick the team. It will cost Southampton a fortune but it probably comes too late because I am not sure that his tactics are ''Cavalier'' enough away from home where they have a lot of matches to play

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here