Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Pellegrino Gone

Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why 'the verge of'?

Potter HAS taken his side up three tiers, and into Europe, and done really well.

If Cowley took Lincoln to 5th in the Championship, won the FA Cup, and knocked Galatasary out of Europe, then yes, I'd suggest he would be well worthy of consideration for the Southampton job
    Taking Lincoln up 3 tiers wouldnt get them in Europe in this country just to The Premier. It is all relevant to the standard that they are playing in.which in Sweden isnt very good. or high.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      You’d have to be pretty desperate to take on a club with Southampton’s prospects unless you are happy to play Championship football next season. I suspect Potter would be looking at managing in the Premier League next season with the Saints job being too risky.
      :guitar:
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      Taking Lincoln up 3 tiers wouldnt get them in Europe in this country just to The Premier. It is all relevant to the standard that they are playing in.which in Sweden isnt very good. or high.
      You're being obtuse. His job as manager of a team in SWEDEN, on a limited budget compared to other teams in SWEDEN, is to win football matches, against other SWEDISH teams, and progress as far as they can through the SWEDISH league system. What the standard actually is, is largely irrelevant - his record of recruitment, and the methods he has implemented, over a five year period, have massively outperformed his rivals / peers. He's the qualified them for Europe, and outperformed lots more teams, from 'better' leagues, with bigger budgets and reputations.

There is absolutely no reason he can't take those methods, and transfer them to a different team, with a different budget, in a different league system.

But, you're right, there is also the option of appointing Phil Brown or Billy Davies.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      Irrespective of the standard of Swedish football, he has achieved an enormous amount, which might indicate he is good at man management, getting the best out of what he has got, good recruitment and helping people fit in, setting the right tone for the club and the team - all sorts of other things which a head coach/manager needs to be good at. He might, just might be able to do it at the highest level.

Even Pep Guardiola had to start somewhere.
      "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposing team". Jean-Paul Sartre.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      You're being obtuse. His job as manager of a team in SWEDEN, on a limited budget compared to other teams in SWEDEN, is to win football matches, against other SWEDISH teams, and progress as far as they can through the SWEDISH league system. What the standard actually is, is largely irrelevant - his record of recruitment, and the methods he has implemented, over a five year period, have massively outperformed his rivals / peers. He's the qualified them for Europe, and outperformed lots more teams, from 'better' leagues, with bigger budgets and reputations.

There is absolutely no reason he can't take those methods, and transfer them to a different team, with a different budget, in a different league system.

But, you're right, there is also the option of appointing Phil Brown or Billy Davies.
      Years of practice!
      "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposing team". Jean-Paul Sartre.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
      You’d have to be pretty desperate to take on a club with Southampton’s prospects unless you are happy to play Championship football next season. I suspect Potter would be looking at managing in the Premier League next season with the Saints job being too risky.
      Maybe he would be good enough to keep them up.

And maybe he would be prepared to take that risk - to be in it for the long term. There is far too much short-termism in English Football, and in fact in our society/economy as a whole......
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      I don't think that was the kind of apology NooBHA was hoping for.
      Not to worry. I suppose that keeps us ''under the radar'' for getting to our second cup final of the season in a few weeks time Triggaaar. Thanks for coming to our defence though.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Will this give them a little lift? It would be excellent if they can stay ahead of Crystal Palace
      Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      South Today said Hughes was favourite, could be good news
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Perkino View Post
      Will this give them a little lift? It would be excellent if they can stay ahead of Crystal Palace
      I doubt it, they've got a nightmare run in. When I checked their fixtures prior to Newcastle I gave them 5 to 8 points, and I was being generous.