Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Doddy’s Dead

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"I just read a book about Stockholm Syndrome, it started off badly but by the end I really liked it."

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He was born and died in the same house in Knotty Ash, living there for 90 years. He finally married his lifetime partner Ann on Friday.
He was the last in the line of traditional music hall comedians, and a good singer.
A great entertainer & slightly eccentric.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP Doddy

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Probably the only performer that could outlast a Springsteen concert.

RIP Doddy.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Me: ‘Ken Dodd died’
You: ‘did he?’
Me: ‘no, Doddy’

Full respect to Doddy & his years of service. He’s a legend. Met him backstage as a star struck 10 year old in the early 80’s at the Gaumont Theatre in Doncaster ( My Mum worked there). He could make ANYONE laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Never found him funny at all; hugely respected his enormous work ethic and commitment to his profession. Truly a legend, and the last of his kind. RIP, Sir Ken.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As far as I'm concerned, the two greatest ( old school ) stand-ups were Bob Monkhouse and Ken Dodd. Both consummate professionals.

And Monkhouse an angry and nasty piece of work offstage to those lesser acts on his bill, as my grey-haired old mum will attest to.

RIP KD.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
What will become of the Diddymen? :(

Hopefully confined to the dark annals of history.

My parents decorated my room in diddymen wallpaper when I was really young. They were the stuff of nightmares. I was convinced I would be trapped in their world and end up a hybrid of the rice krispies kid and a Russian folk dancer.

Doddy was great though. Staple Saturday night light entertainment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He dies as both a comedy legend and a tax-dodging legend.

The accountants among us cannot failed to have noticed news of him marrying his fiancée of 40 years 2 days before his death, saving a fortune in Inheritance Tax. I'm sure HMRC will be "tickled" with that!

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I’m obviously in a complete minority judging by the posts on here, but I never found him remotely amusing.

And I always found his manner a bit creepy. The Diddymen?????

No, I admired his stamina but my wife and I went to one of his shows in Worthing about five years ago and left after half an hour or so without managing to laugh once. Couldn’t wait to get out to be honest.

Maybe he was having a bad night but there didn’t seem to be many other people laughing either. The thought of spending 4+ hours listening to the show too.....!?

I was staggered to hear he’d sold 100 million+ records too. With that and sell out shows for many decades he must have been totally minted.......

RIP Doddy. You were an icon of my youth but I should have left it there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He dies as both a comedy legend and a tax-dodging legend.

The accountants among us cannot failed to have noticed news of him marrying his fiancée of 40 years 2 days before his death, saving a fortune in Inheritance Tax. I'm sure HMRC will be "tickled" with that!

I must admit when his marriage on Friday was announced I thought that it must be another tax dodge ! Looks like he got the last laugh after all !

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
And Monkhouse an angry and nasty piece of work offstage to those lesser acts on his bill, as my grey-haired old mum will attest to.

RIP KD.

My father in law shared a bill with him as a semi-pro musician and said Monkhouse was the nicest and most generous entertainer he ever worked with. The worst of them was Lenny Henry he reckoned.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My father in law shared a bill with him as a semi-pro musician and said Monkhouse was the nicest and most generous entertainer he ever worked with. The worst of them was Lenny Henry he reckoned.

My mum (saxophone, Ivy Benson All Girl Band) said he had little time for people backstage and having heard that a lesser comic on the same bill was due to tell a joke that he had in his own act, he threatened to have him removed from the bill entirely if he didn't take the joke out. Maybe he was just having a bad week.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here