Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The definition of a World Class Player

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He played as many games in midfield for Liverpool as foster did as a forward.

BG is mad for stating he mainly played there for them. Mad I tell thee

We signed Foster as a CF and I was under the impression from Mark himself that he played a large number of games for Liverpool in midfield but I wouldnt argue as I have never liked Liverpool since they sneaked a draw at The Goldstone.in the early 60s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We signed Foster as a CF and I was under the impression from Mark himself that he played a large number of games for Liverpool in midfield but I wouldnt argue as I have never liked Liverpool since they sneaked a draw at The Goldstone.in the early 60s.

Playing the 'I was in Baghdad when you was in dad's bag' card......very below the belt, BG :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Playing the 'I was in Baghdad when you was in dad's bag' card......very below the belt, BG [emoji38]ol:
Leave BG alone. I genuinely love it when people have lifelong grudges against clubs for fairly innocuous reasons. I hate Ipswich because one of their fans deliberately ruined a new pair of trainers I was wearing at that end of season game up there in 91. I hate Dartford because one of their fans sprayed my bugle with puke in 1982.

That last one probably needs some explaining. Worthing played Dartford in the FA Cup 1st round, one of their biggest games in their history, a sell-out crowd and the Boy's Brigade band I was a part of was the half-time entertainment. Hence the bugle.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
And Ronaldo.

Did well to win the European Championships with Portugal, though. Surprisingly, given the quality of the Argentinian national team, and the quality of the player himself, Messi has never won Copa America. Beaten on penalties by Chile in the last two finals, and subsequently retired (but then reversed his decision). Only made it to the QFs prior to that when they hosted it. Not sure he'll be remembered the same as Maradona is by the Argentinians unless he wins something. Seems he's received a bit of criticism back home for not performing to the same standards for Argentina as he does Barca.

Both of course will still be considered legends after they stop playing by any sane individuals. Both have scored 60 or more goals in a single season for their clubs twice, with Messi once scoring 73 in a single season. Mind blowing. :shootself

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You must have gone through decades of pain as they won rooms full of silverware?

I know QPR fans who hate Liverpool because they pipped their Francis/Bowles/Parkes team to the title in 1976 (with no controversies) and a Hammers fan the same because of Gerrard's last second 35 yard equaliser in the 2006 FAC final. I get the impression they will take that hatred to their graves.

I've disliked WBA since they visited Brighton in the early 90's and I found their fans irritating twa*s in town.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Discussing Mark Lawrenson in the pub this weekend, and speculating if he had played on the World stage at Italia 90, would he have been lauded as a World Class Player?

But what is the definition of a world class player, I’ve always thought that if you looked at the top 4 national teams in the world, if a player from outside those 4 sides could get into one of the teams on merit , in their respective position, in my opinion that’s the definition of world class.

Who are the top national sides?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lawrenson was one of the best players in one of the best club sides in the world, therefore he was world class.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
That last one probably needs some explaining. Worthing played Dartford in the FA Cup 1st round, one of their biggest games in their history, a sell-out crowd and the Boy's Brigade band I was a part of was the half-time entertainment. Hence the bugle.
I was at that game. Great times for Sussex football.

Clear memories of many much loved players in that Rebels team. Was Mark Dunk (dad of Lewis) one of those playing or have I made that bit up?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was at that game. Great times for Sussex football.

Clear memories of many much loved players in that Rebels team. Was Mark Dunk (dad of Lewis) one of those playing or have I made that bit up?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
No idea! I'll look it up. Am I right in thinking it was under Barry Lloyd?

Incidentally, I did get some help cleaning up from the club chaplain who I find out years later was John Motson's dad.

Not sure if that makes a great story even better or an odd and very parochial tale even duller.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
No idea! I'll look it up. Am I right in thinking it was under Barry Lloyd?

Incidentally, I did get some help cleaning up from the club chaplain who I find out years later was John Motson's dad.

Not sure if that makes a great story even better or an odd and very parochial tale even duller.

But you haven’t explained how this puke/bugle meeting occurred! Assuming just a drunkard but hoping for more...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure about world class but according to Bastian Schweinstiger to be a legend you need to win a World Cup.

Always thought that kid Messi wasn't up to much! (George Best was a poor mans -insert name of any forward from a team that have won the world cup).

You could be a world class player but unfortunately due to fate, you're the only one in that national team of that calibre!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But you haven’t explained how this puke/bugle meeting occurred! Assuming just a drunkard but hoping for more...

Sadly, it was just that. Wrong time, wrong place.

I can't find the squad for the Dartford game but there is a match report for the following tie against Oxford and this was the team:

Worthing: Dovey, Flood, Aitken, Raysnford, Cox, Lelliott, Dove, Gill (Barnard, 71′), Foreman, Cornwell, Edmonds.

https://worthingfc.com/2018/02/15/report-oxford-united-4-0-worthing/

There's also a fantastic news archive of the build up to the game featuring an interview with Barry Lloyd about his job as the bar manager and an interview with Ted Burrough who was 81 years old at the time and had been supporting Worthing since 1906. That's an incredible piece of local football history.

https://www.facebook.com/WorthingFC/videos/2300760103283518/

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is part of a photo of Raynsford leading the team out and I've circled a lad in the background wearing the Thunderbirds style hat that we all wore. It could even be me in the photo. Fame at last and in a thread about world class footballers.

hat.jpg

Oct 25, 2003
It’s a very subjective term and one that is banded around too often

But I’d say if you’re widely considered to be in the best 2 or 3 in your role in the world then that puts you in that category

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here