Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] BBC2 Back In Time For Tea - astoundingly subversive TV

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just stumbled across this on a dreary Sunday afternoon. Ostensibly it's about changing dietary trends through the decades, as experienced by a Bradford-based mum, dad and 2.4 kids. In reality it's much much more. Today's episode (5 of 6) covers the 80's and 90's and as such covers the ascendancy of oven chips, microwaveable meals and all you can eat Harvesters. But interwoven with all that foodstuff stuff is the real story: the Miners Strike, the Bradford fire, the rise of Madchester (including an interview with Shaun Ryder in the former Hacienda on his very best non-sweary behaviour). The whole thing is underpinned with a sublime soundtrack, all iconic tunes, not a single dud in the whole hour.

The most unexpectedly engaging programme I've watched in many a long day. Can only recommend wholeheartedly that you catch it on the BBC iPlayer.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yeah, there have been several "Back In Time For ..." series on slightly different themes, but all of them fascinating. Worth catching up on.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure you are using subversive in the correct context

You never watched the bit showing the family's kids disbelief at the vile insensitivity of the Sunday Times comments a mere week after the Bradford fire? Or watched the former miner break down on camera when delivering a replica food parcel from fellow miners from communist states of the time? With respect, you might have seen it, but I'm not sure you watched it.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The " Back in time for..." series has been going for a few years now, one of my favourite programmes. The only bit I don't like is when they get to the 60's and 70's, showing all the stuff I remember as a kid....by Christ it makes me feel old!!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Too full of BS political point scoring as some posters know perfectly well and who are glorifying and wallowing in it, like pigs in mud. Cheap point scoring TV for those likely to lap it up.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Some unbelievably crap food/recipe ideas through the 60s to 80s! :lolol: No wonder we had/have such a terrible reputation for food around the world!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here