Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kane injured.. Murray for England?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Well, if there are any defensive injuries this weekend for those selected, MAYBE Lewis will get his chance after all - he deserves it. Disappointed for him.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm sure Southgate and his team do watch the potential players - but just chucking this thought into the mix - do you think Lewis's own goal tally could be a factor? I don't think that should be taken into account. If anything, it's been bad luck, but it shows he's getting in the way of the ball and doing his job.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Four goalkeepers as well. Just drop Hart you complete spineless, chinless Palace ****. Oh and shave that beard off as well, you are not a hipster you were born in Watford.

He's so gash he'd probably drop himself :lol:

Meanwhile, over on Twatter...
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 16.02.51.png

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
The spine of our team Dunk, Stephens and Murray are all English and have all received wide spread acclaim this season from football pundits and analysts because they have been outstanding, yet some ex palace knob doesn't think any of them deserve a chance! That BHAISM! It's akin to racism as he doesn't like the colour of our shirt! Dunk is a better centre half than Southgate ever was

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
he's got a place because he's the easy name to fill the slot.

He's got a place because he is versatile and if we decided to go with four strikers, he could conceivably play a number of attacking positions.

I'd hope he doesn't go unless he has a decent finish to the season though.

Last edited:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He's got a place because he is versatile and if we decided to go with four strikers, he could conceivably play a number of attacking positions.

I'd hope he doesn't go unless he has a decent finish to the season though.

I can't believe people are actually advocating picking a 34 year old Glenn Murray in the England squad. When I first saw the suggestion, I genuinely thought it was a joke.

Wellbeck really isn't very good though, that's my main issue. He doesn't add much at all. He just fills a hole.

Murray is scoring. He can come into that squad and ADD something. I really believe in picking players who are in form. He's given some of the best in this league a pretty torrid time and he can score goals against the best.

If Kane was fit, of course it's a non-issue. But I honestly think Muzza is the best of a bad bunch!

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
I'm sure Southgate and his team do watch the potential players - but just chucking this thought into the mix - do you think Lewis's own goal tally could be a factor? I don't think that should be taken into account. If anything, it's been bad luck, but it shows he's getting in the way of the ball and doing his job.

His own goals have mainly been a result of throwing his body in the way of anyone who cares tries a shot! He's top of the blocks in the stats, someone who is prepared to throw his body in front of anything if it stopped us conceding! England needs these types of players if they are going to stand a chance of being successful. They also need a different manager if they are going to stand a chance of being successful.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't believe people are actually advocating picking a 34 year old Glenn Murray in the England squad. When I first saw the suggestion, I genuinely thought it was a joke.

When the likes of Welbeck get in the squad ahead of Murray, and you compare the respective seasons they're currently having, then there is a case to be made that Murray could be worthy of having a sniff. As usual, it makes a nonsense of the notion about picking the players who are in form. That simply never happens - England ALWAYS revert to the old tried-and-trusted names, regardless of form. There's no imagination.

OK, he's 34. But I don't give a shit about the "future" of the England team - we've had this nonsense for years, this idea about "jam tomorrow", bringing through the younger players and targeting the next Euros, or the next World Cup in 4 years. Its bobbins, and it NEVER pans out. We've got a World Cup in 3 months time - lets have a proper look at going deep into THAT tournament, never mind 2-4-6 years down the line.

As it happens, I think Murray brings something to the table that England don't currently have. The forwards in this squad are Vardy, Welbeck, Rashford and Sterling - all speed merchants who like to run in behind. Where's the wily, bullying CF, someone handy in the air, someone who can play with their back to goal, hold up the ball, win the flick-ons ? No, he's not quick, but then that's never been Murrays game anyway, which is why despite being 34, he DOES still have something else to offer. I've said it before, Murray is like a poor mans Teddy Sheringham.

It was never going to happen though, because England managers will always pick the star names, the high profile ones we always take along. There is a paucity of talent , we SHOULD have some english CF's miles better than Murray. But outside of Kane and possibly Vardy (who is a totally different type of player) we don't have any. So make the best of what you've got. What have we got to lose ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wellbeck really isn't very good though, that's my main issue. He doesn't add much at all. He just fills a hole.

Murray is scoring. He can come into that squad and ADD something. I really believe in picking players who are in form. He's given some of the best in this league a pretty torrid time and he can score goals against the best.

If Kane was fit, of course it's a non-issue. But I honestly think Muzza is the best of a bad bunch!

We're on the same page.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think people are vastly over-estimating Glenn Murray's achievements this year and under-estimating the role our system plays in making the absolute most of his range of skills.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here