Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goodison Park

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What I can’t get is that stand must have been designed like that, it’s not modern football that has caused such a shit view.
***cough*** terracing ***cough***

theboybilly

What I can’t get is that stand must have been designed like that, it’s not modern football that has caused such a shit view.

The lower (Bullens Rd Stand) tier was originally terracing. Until the advent of cantilever stands in the 1960s every ground would have had posts obscuring views. Archibald Leitch's designs were considered state-of-the-art.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I always liked Goodison and the old wooden seats. I suppose I haven’t been completely sold on the super shiny “ Community “ stadiums miles out of town that force you to leave the ground early, which I would never do.
Manchester is much improved, Liverpool is trying and it’s not because of a lack of willingness to do so. Very few people on this site will have even visited Liverpool let alone lived there in the thatcher days and the area is still trying to recover from that.
LFC decided not to build a big new stadium away from its heartland, instead it is redeveloping not only the ground but the surrounding area as well.
Let’s be honest..... I like the Amex, but I would have loved a 21st century Goldstone ground.

I visited the area when Thatcher was PM and Liverpool was suffering from a totally corrupt council leader from the red bridgade.

Back to the grounds Anfield is cramped and shit views from the rear and they forced people from theirs homes. Old Trafford again cramped ramming 75000 mainly non-mancs into a ground fit for 50000 max. Goodison awful just awful.

The romance of these grounds disappear the moment the owners of over priced tickets realise the discomfort they are going to endure for the next few hours.

D

Deleted User X18H

8A9FD458-7CA5-4C8F-B6B7-345CFC5055DD.jpeg

View not so good but a great old stadium. After all these years of hearing it on MOTD Z Cars was a real hair on the back of your neck moment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was right behind one of the thick posts/supports which cut out a lot of the view and has a couple of thin ones restrict my view further. And just to add to the enjoyment we had a bunch of young wannabee hoolies blocking the aisle and affecting the view even more. Not my most enjoyable stadium.

Liverpool was a great night out on Friday and Saturday though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
View attachment 95050

View not so good but a great old stadium. After all these years of hearing it on MOTD Z Cars was a real hair on the back of your neck moment

How the hell can it be great when there's so many obstruction you fool. As for Z Cars you're easily pleased and timpot.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I always liked Goodison and the old wooden seats. I suppose I haven’t been completely sold on the super shiny “ Community “ stadiums miles out of town that force you to leave the ground early, which I would never do.
Manchester is much improved, Liverpool is trying and it’s not because of a lack of willingness to do so. Very few people on this site will have even visited Liverpool let alone lived there in the thatcher days and the area is still trying to recover from that.
LFC decided not to build a big new stadium away from its heartland, instead it is redeveloping not only the ground but the surrounding area as well.
Let’s be honest..... I like the Amex, but I would have loved a 21st century Goldstone ground.

Thinking about it I suppose a good example of an old school delapidated ground that was redeveloped albeit with not much money at the time yet still holding on to a lot of the original feel of the ground is Charlton.
I agree, outside Goodison is brilliant, just like the old Highbury, it really adds to the day for me, so I don't know why Everton did not redevelop Goodison years ago, it would now be fabulous.
Personally I would have liked The Amex in the area of Brighton station, pretty much as it is but with a few changes that we had to go with to build it at Falmer to keep all the Nimbies happy.
Even if we was allowed,I can't see how we could have built a 32k+ all seater stadium at The Goldstone.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You've captured a fine image of Lewis Dunk doing 'The Lambeth Walk' there.

Also looks like Schelotto's foot has sunk into the 18 yard box

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shithole much like most of Liverpool.
They have been after a new ground for years but long ago they could have at the least redeveloped using what they have.
Plymouth are doing it with their main stand at the moment and they are potless.
They have waited for a new ground instead and that is still a long way away.

Hardly. It's an amazing city. Then again, I've been there enough and know plenty of folk.

It's sweeping phrases like 'tinpot' and 'shithole' which betray a lack of culture and judgement

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have to laugh at some of the comments on this thread. Have we forgotten where we played before the Amex so quickly.

I still like old fashioned grounds though I do love my seat at the Amex. I also enjoyed most of our time at Withdean too.

Shitholes with character or flat pack grounds? I know which I prefer. We are very very lucky, access apart, to have one of the best grounds in the country.

el punal

Why can't "Proper Old Grounds" have Non-Victorian facilities for away fans?

The size of the gents was ridiculous. Same goes for WBA and Stoke.

I haven't been in the away area at the Amex but I assume that away fans don't have the same limited facilities?

I don't think the Victorians pissed as much as us.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Have to laugh at some of the comments on this thread. Have we forgotten where we played before the Amex so quickly.

I still like old fashioned grounds though I do love my seat at the Amex. I also enjoyed most of our time at Withdean too.

Shitholes with character or flat pack grounds? I know which I prefer. We are very very lucky, access apart, to have one of the best grounds in the country.

Absolutely, loved the 90's salt of the earth grounds, grotty pubs, moaning supporters, park within 100 yards, had it's advantages, although the Amex is nice!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hardly. It's an amazing city. Then again, I've been there enough and know plenty of folk.

It's sweeping phrases like 'tinpot' and 'shithole' which betray a lack of culture and judgement

Opinions are allowed you know.
I said nothing of the culture or the people.
Brother in law is from Liverpool, been up there with him for weekends as he wanted to show me Liverpool, done all the tourist stuff and things that I wouldn't have done and seen if he wasn't there.
Been there for the football with Brighton, FA Cup and all that also stayed there on business a long time ago.
All in all probably 10 times.
The Docks and City centre are much improved but in general as a city its horrible, some areas are truly terrible.
Liked most of the scousers a one off breed, not a bad night out to be had and the city has a rich history.
It's a dump, mostly,but I understand why in the same way as I understand that parts of Plymouth are a dump, the janners are a one off breed, but has a rich history and not a bad night out, Home Park whilst good on three sides is dreadful, but at least they have redeveloped 3 sides and now started on the awful main stand.
Something Everton should and could have done years ago.
And I have never called another club tinpot, I hate that saying.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Indeed, but then it is a proper, old school, traditional football ground. You know, one with atmosphere and no tourists or JCLs, as it should be. At least that is the viewpoint of some that post on here. :drink:

And hardly changed since I visited them in 79 to 83.

For many it may be the first time they've been able to see the Albion at these grounds, for the older fan who has been going for a long time, nothing's been done to these grounds for decades. I prefer to see the pitch. Atmosphere depends on circumstance. There are new grounds with more atmosphere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here