Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goodison Park

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What did people think of it?

I had the worst view I have ever had at a football ground. It’s ridiculous with the money floating about in football that we should have to watch in such a decrepit shit heap. They can’t move to a new ground soon enough.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The way we played I wasn’t that upset about having a restricted view!

79F62E5E-7CC1-49D7-BC3C-F04E158279A6.jpeg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I never knew Neville Southall was once thin

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Shithole much like most of Liverpool.
They have been after a new ground for years but long ago they could have at the least redeveloped using what they have.
Plymouth are doing it with their main stand at the moment and they are potless.
They have waited for a new ground instead and that is still a long way away.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why can't "Proper Old Grounds" have Non-Victorian facilities for away fans?

The size of the gents was ridiculous. Same goes for WBA and Stoke.

I haven't been in the away area at the Amex but I assume that away fans don't have the same limited facilities?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why can't "Proper Old Grounds" have Non-Victorian facilities for away fans?

The size of the gents was ridiculous. Same goes for WBA and Stoke.

I haven't been in the away area at the Amex but I assume that away fans don't have the same limited facilities?
Because it's rooted in the community

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Yes. I don't remember being told it was a restricted view seat I was buying - or that we would be sitting on wooden benches from the 1930's.

Everton (2).jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I loved it. Proper old ground rooted in its community. **** modern football.
You must have been in the upper tier. Lower tier at the back meant we were so far detached from the game it was like watching through a letterbox. They have a frigging nerve charging 30 quid for that. Even Selhurst is better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I loved it. Proper old ground rooted in its community. **** modern football.

You can build new stadiums that are like proper old grounds or redevelop what you have.
Take Southampton for example, it did not get any crappier, old school, or routed in the community than The Dell, but they replaced it with the awful St Mary's, in a new location.
Then you have Spurs, building new on an existing site which I think is going to be magnificent and retain a lot of old school but vastly improve.
Then there is one other, who also steered away from a 'soulless bowl' and managed to build a tidy 4 stand stadium under huge planning problems that most people love, their name escapes me at the moment, I will get back to you.
Everton have had the money and the options to do what they wanted to ages ago.
I have been to Goodison on many occasions, as a new ground many of us were looking forward to going there, even hoping we would get them in the cup, I knew many would be dissapointed.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Yes. I don't remember being told it was a restricted view seat I was buying - or that we would be sitting on wooden benches from the 1930's.

View attachment 95043

You lucky lucky *******! I was right near the front of the lower tier and unfortunately I had a completely unobscured view of the game.

For me, aside from the result, I enjoyed the day with a pre-match pint in a local pub, plus fish and chips from the Blue Dragon chippy next to the ground and it is great to see a proper old stadium in an era where so many look the same, but you can see why they need to move.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I always liked Goodison and the old wooden seats. I suppose I haven’t been completely sold on the super shiny “ Community “ stadiums miles out of town that force you to leave the ground early, which I would never do.
Manchester is much improved, Liverpool is trying and it’s not because of a lack of willingness to do so. Very few people on this site will have even visited Liverpool let alone lived there in the thatcher days and the area is still trying to recover from that.
LFC decided not to build a big new stadium away from its heartland, instead it is redeveloping not only the ground but the surrounding area as well.
Let’s be honest..... I like the Amex, but I would have loved a 21st century Goldstone ground.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
f9a03280be8ea5afbd7f956999c5e7af.jpg

This was our view and I payed a quid less for restricted view
Plenty of empty seats around us as well so every time we attacked the goal to our right we just walked down a couple of steps
Mind you we were right next to the home fans who were very quiet except when they scored

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Inside the ground, an embarrassment.
Had a pillar completely blocking view of far goal. Had no idea what was happening with crosses, shots or the numerous corners that Everton got. Worst viewing for years.
Narrow, cramped, uncomfortable wooden seating. Small, overcrowded concourse. Appallingly small toilets. Two had no cubicles at all. Facilities that shame the PL.
Outside the ground, much better.
A feeling of history, stature and pedigree. Proper respect to those over the years that have made Everton a great club. Proximity of housing creates that old-style feel. Rounded fans, happy to see us in the PL and pleased for us. Makes a pleasant change.

On a footnote, there are many who will have you believe that Everton and Liverpool fans get on really well and are generous to each other. Don't you believe it. The Evertonians hate them with a passion. They resent the early days and their true home being stolen from under their noses. They blame Liverpool for the European ban that undoubtedly cost them more glory. They resent being relegated to the part of bit-players in a football mad city and the sense of elitism that Liverpool have assumed.
You should have seen the unbounded joy that greeted each Rashford goal at Old Trafford. Before we kicked off, they were beside themselves with Liverpool's defeat. After we gifted them 3 points, they were describing it as a near-perfect day.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You can build new stadiums that are like proper old grounds or redevelop what you have.
Take Southampton for example, it did not get any crappier, old school, or routed in the community than The Dell, but they replaced it with the awful St Mary's, in a new location.
Then you have Spurs, building new on an existing site which I think is going to be magnificent and retain a lot of old school but vastly improve.

Could learn something from the Americans on building new, but retro stadiums, Camden Yards a great example. The Emirates has killed Arsenal, a retro build modern Highbury would have been so much better.

The retro parks were built with all the luxuries of the newer parks, such as luxury boxes and more restrooms and concession areas, along with new additions, such as indoor concourses. However (except for a few exceptions harkening back to the wooden ballpark era), the aesthetics shifted back to jewel box conventions, which included the use of green seats, bricks, stone, and green-painted exposed steel.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What I can’t get is that stand must have been designed like that, it’s not modern football that has caused such a shit view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here