Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham situation. Is it the same?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Complacent entitled fanbase angry that move to shiny new stadium they all wanted and net £30m spent on players isn't working out or

Legitimate rage that home ground was sold from under them despite their protests at the time and rape of their club by greedy owners?

I know we have some hammers on here, can someone explain? If anyone should sympathise with fans of a club being abused by owners, it's us. But is this really the case.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
They are a proud old club with a wonderful history, but their current owners have asset stripped them by selling their home and renting a new one. The profit from this deal went straight into their pockets. They try to appease the fans by promising to spend huge amounts on the team, but never do.

I have much sympathy for their fans.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
No, they're not about to drop out of the league, if they do get relegated, i think they could come straight back up. Their fan base are worse than Arsenal's. Hounded out fat Sam when he was actually doing a good job, were okay with the stadium move as long as it brought success. No matter what happens, they have a ground that can play in for the next 90 years and they don't have to pay anything for. They're a club that have delusions that they should be a top club.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Entitled fan base. Strong support at the time for the move. Subsidised by the great British taxpayer. Net spending on players. Season doesn't go well and the new home has a leaky roof and now they throw a strop. Someone should let them know that it’s sport, you can lose as well as win. Clubs tend to succeed when everyone from the chairmen to the fans are United. I see little sympathy for Leyton Orient or Dulwich Hamlet. There is no asset stripping going on, it’s a business. For me WHU go down at the end of this season to a league they know well

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Complacent entitled fanbase angry that move to shiny new stadium they all wanted and net £30m spent on players isn't working out or

Legitimate rage that home ground was sold from under them despite their protests at the time and rape of their club by greedy owners?

I know we have some hammers on here, can someone explain? If anyone should sympathise with fans of a club being abused by owners, it's us. But is this really the case.
Personally, I think the fans, owners and players deserve each other.

Dildo Brothers get no salary but recently took £10m out in interest payments on loans.

Players have been woeful this year despite massive wage bill.

Fans are the worst bunch of whingers in football. Always finding something to moan about even if they're doing well. When we won there, all they could come back with was that we were mugs in subsidising "their" Stadium.

No sympathy from me, only reason I'd be happy for them to stay up is that our Wapping pub crawl was the best of the season.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
They are a proud old club with a wonderful history, but their current owners have asset stripped them by selling their home and renting a new one. The profit from this deal went straight into their pockets. They try to appease the fans by promising to spend huge amounts on the team, but never do.

Is that true or hyperbole? I recall some were delighted to beat Orient (?) in the race for the stadium.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Whilst it must be hard for the supporters to see their club struggle in the league, its not as though they have nowhere to play football, or have have a 100+ mile round trip to watch the team play home games, relegation will not mean club going out of the league, but they are playing in an athletics stadium. No comparison with BHA struggles of the past so whilst they should be disappointed in the teams performances, no excuse for the behaviour yesterday around the directors box- and 2 cockwombles on the pitch is not an invasion. I'm coming to the view that they are an over entitled group of complacent fans.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Is that true or hyperbole? I recall some were delighted to beat Orient (?) in the race for the stadium.

Some fans were delighted with the new stadium, but as we know, some fans are a bit dense. The owners did a great PR job at the time, but their only leverage to convince fans it was a good idea was the lie that the extra revenue would be reinvested in the team, enabling them to challenge for champions league qualification.

Since the move they have promised big money signings, but never delivered. That is why the fans are revolting. This is not hyperbole.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whilst it’s nowhere near the situation Brighton found themselves in currently, it’s not really stable is it?

How long will the Govermemt allow the stadium to continue to lose money? If they go down it’s likely to lose more.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Some fans were delighted with the new stadium, but as we know, some fans are a bit dense. The owners did a great PR job at the time, but their only leverage to convince fans it was a good idea was the lie that the extra revenue would be reinvested in the team, enabling them to challenge for champions league qualification.

Since the move they have promised big money signings, but never delivered. That is why the fans are revolting. This is not hyperbole.

Arnautovic, Hernandez, Hart on loan plus a few more I'm sure.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Their fans need to “give their heads a wobble” they are NOT a club in crisis.

el punal

Playing devil's advocate here - but you know that for a fact or is it just an emotional backlash of football fan verses money grabbing bosses?

In an earlier post I commented that would all this furore have happened if West Ham were challenging for a top four place, rather than struggling to avoid relegation? It seems that the current malaise of West Ham is their poor football as the reason, and the new stadium and everything that goes with it as the excuse.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The West Ham fans I know were enthusiastic about the new stadium before it opened. Having watched football at an athletics venue for far too long, I couldn't really understand it. They should have made more fuss to keep the old ground, I think, but some seemed to believe they were going to become a Champions League super-club by moving.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Entitled fan base. Strong support at the time for the move. Subsidised by the great British taxpayer. Net spending on players. Season doesn't go well and the new home has a leaky roof and now they throw a strop. Someone should let them know that it’s sport, you can lose as well as win. Clubs tend to succeed when everyone from the chairmen to the fans are United. I see little sympathy for Leyton Orient or Dulwich Hamlet. There is no asset stripping going on, it’s a business. For me WHU go down at the end of this season to a league they know well

They sold their ground. They didn’t buy a new one.
What’s that if it’s not asset stripping ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here