Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex by the sea - ending?

Seagullroyal

Dec 31, 2014
So who sings what at the end of "Sussex by the sea"?

As an old git (in my 50's) I have always sung "And we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the sea".

However, since the words have been put on the big screen over the last few years, and the say "Tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea" it seems that lots of people sing that?

Last week I noticed that it sounded like most people in the north stand were singing version 2.

What does everyone else sing?

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I always used to sing "going up to win the cup for Sussex by the Sea" although have changed now to stand or fall. But occasionally I forget and try to backtrack " " going up to stand or fall"

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Stand or fall. Wish everyone would sing the same as it sounds a mess with both versions being sung at the same time.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Because for decades we sang going up to win the cup?

And for a number of years we have sung the song correctly as well and it’s not that hard to do and 2 different versions sound a mess. Either we should of sing what we have sung for years or try and make the effort to sing what we do now.
Even now I’m sure on the day it’s a 50/50 split that I hear all around me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As an old git (in my 50's) I have always sung "And we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the sea".
I don't think many sing that. Don't people sing 'And we're going up, to win the cup, for Sussex by the sea'?

But Stand or Fall is the correct historic version that was written in the Great War, and it's about Sussex men who gave their lives for the country. It's miles better than the going up to win the cup version. It also makes sense, because our players do stand or fall, but they're rarely winning a cup.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Stand or Fall is gradually taking over. As it should.
This. Definitely much better this year.

Going to take a while longer but we will eventually get right one of the best club anthems in world football (still be rubbish though compared to "Glad All Over" by The Dave Clark Five...).

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here