Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Brunel's Britain....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ch 5 now, both parts. It's brilliant. Life and achievements of Brunel. On now.

Great man, as was his dad Marc Brunel. Great British engineers both of them. However, Brunel Snr. was French by birth and could perhaps be viewed as an asylum seeker (option at the time may have been guillotine), son was half French. Legacies that live on are the SS Great Britain, the Great Western mainline, Clifton and Saltash Bridges and the Thames Tunnel. SS Great Britain is a museum piece, the others all remain in active use for their intended purposes.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Great man, as was his dad Marc Brunel. Great British engineers both of them. However, Brunel Snr. was French by birth and could perhaps be viewed as an asylum seeker (option at the time may have been guillotine), son was half French. Legacies that live on are the SS Great Britain, the Great Western mainline, Clifton and Saltash Bridges and the Thames Tunnel. SS Great Britain is a museum piece, the others all remain in active use for their intended purposes.

Bloody foreigners. They come over here with their brilliant ideas and genius engineering.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Always love these programs,but get a little sad when you think what our Governments,(whatever colour rosettes They happen to be wearing) have done to our industry,decimated it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wonder what he would think of how things are constructed today ? It seemed that the Victorians always built with style and to last even if it was a water pumping station.

Last edited:

I wonder what he would think of how things are constructed today ? It seemed that the Victorians always built with style and to last even if it was a water pumping station.

Very true, for example the Goldstone pumping station (is it still open to the public. None of this "Health Safety" "nonsense" but one wonders how many poor souls were killed/maimed in constructing these masterpieces?

(Edit) sadly not see http://www.britishengineerium.org/. Might start doing the lottery again!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Not one of Brunel's but watched a programme on the Menai Strait bridge today

Bridges really are engineering at it's best

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Apart from the Newhaven swing bridge when it gets jammed in the open position :down:
Thankfully not very often these days.

ha ha yeah,been a victim of that more than once over the years

Remember the old one,with half a dozen men running round in circles to open & close it

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
ha ha yeah,been a victim of that more than once over the years

Remember the old one,with half a dozen men running round in circles to open & close it

No, I lived in Brighton and don't remember the old one, I've seen the photos though.

Did you go to the Arsenal match and sit in the WSU? I saw someone wearing a Stranglers hat.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
No, I lived in Brighton and don't remember the old one, I've seen the photos though.

Did you go to the Arsenal match and sit in the WSU? I saw someone wearing a Stranglers hat.

Had a ticket,but never got back in time from France that morning

Perhaps it was Dave Greenfield :lol:

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Wonderful engineer however not a nice person.
Interesting article on the BBC website entitled 'Isambard Kingdom Brunel: The engineering giant with 'short man syndrome'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-43323013

I also read that he had the militia called out on strikers resulting in several being shot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here