Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1% chance of relegation

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If the bookies were giving odds based on a 1% chance they would be 3 or 4 times what they currently are. They aren't well known for giving mug punters a level break.

Bookies odds reflect punter cash flows, including irrational herd mentality and bias to clubs, with the ensuing risks to bookies.

The excellent Times articles are based on real football data, as analysed by a team of academics.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Basically it is good evidence that statistics can be misused.

I think it is clear that any statistical analysis that has a team promoted from League 1 with 85 goals and 95 points whilst having the 90th best attack in the entire football league is making some pretty appalling conclusions on what certain numbers mean/indicate.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Finktanks sound like a load of bollocks to me judging by that article!

Bottom of league 2 attack but premier league defence in 2011... Eh?!
Agree, Murray, Barnes and Wood have not amounted to much since [emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Brighton have long been a defensive side. In fact at one point, when leaving League One for the Championship in 2011, they had a Premier League defence (18th in our all-team ranking) but a bottom-of-League Two attack (a remarkable 90th).

A bottom of League Two attack in 2011? Murray scored 23, Barnes scored 20, along with Wood, Sandaza, Bennett and others. How the heck is that a bottom of League Two attack?

Barnes brought that average down quite a long way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Kane had played for us when the Amex was built I believe we would be an established premier league team by now. Don't you?

Nope because we would have been forced to sell him years ago. :smile:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Brighton have long been a defensive side. In fact at one point, when leaving League One for the Championship in 2011, they had a Premier League defence (18th in our all-team ranking) but a bottom-of-League Two attack (a remarkable 90th).

A bottom of League Two attack in 2011? Murray scored 23, Barnes scored 20, along with Wood, Sandaza, Bennett and others. How the heck is that a bottom of League Two attack?

Exactly my thoughts when I read that?! It’s nonsense. Under Gus, the year we won the league we were absolutely fantastic and a very attacking team!

Herr Ing Gull

Sep 3, 2014
I've no idea about the statistics but maybe they give a clue to the thinking behind not giving Murray the contract nearly everyone thought he deserved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here