Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How is assessing his past performances in the Prem irrelevant to judging his overall Prem suitability?
So you watched all his PL games for Leicester? He was also only just 23 then, so hardly the finished article.
He wasn't deemed good enough for the Prem last time, game time is irrelevant.
He was offered a 4 year contract by Leicester, so they deemed him good enough. You've got your facts wrong.

He wears his heart on his sleeve which can be endearing but his strop last game was disrespectful to the manager.
Surely the person who decides whether that's too disrespectful is the manager, and the manager picked him to play again.
He has had a very average season overall and I expect we will strengthen in the summer. I think it highly unlikely he will be wearing BHA colours next season.
Maybe, maybe not, but you said he 'probably finally confirmed he is not a Prem 'team' player' and that's a huge over-reaction.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
How is assessing his past performances in the Prem irrelevant to judging his overall Prem suitability? He wasn't deemed good enough for the Prem last time, game time is irrelevant. Another Prem team would have snapped him up if he was unlucky not to get a first team place due to a better player but still good enough.

He wears his heart on his sleeve which can be endearing but his strop last game was disrespectful to the manager. CH coverd for him his actions today finished any chance of a come back. He has had a very average season overall and I expect we will strengthen in the summer. I think it highly unlikely he will be wearing BHA colours next season.

Calling [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION]

(Not sure why my tagging fails, can someone wake up Thunderbolt please..!)
(maybe its worked this time..)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Struggled with their wide players today, can't remember the last time we had two players hugging the touchline and stretching us, real challenge for our full-backs and in the end it was too hard. Everton played really really well today. Their defence a bit fragile but we couldn't test them anywhere near enough with the control they had in midfield.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
OK ! But he is probably just out of his depth based upon this season's performances (thus far).
I appreciate that he is a typical Gallic (hugely emotional) sort of individual but we surely don't need players who are kicking up the traces at being subbed OR who have the capacity to commit stupid/reckless fouls which result in a red and the Albion playing out whatever period in a match with only ten players.

The subbing thing was fleeting - he was skipping across the pitch at the final whistle to hug Bruno. Nothing to see there.

We’ve had virtually no daft cards/incidents this season (previously Dunk would have had half a dozen on his own by now) so let’s not crucify the guy for being arguably only the second one this term (after Tomer for his stamp).

Hughton will deal with it and he’ll learn. You never know, it might be the kick up the pants he needed.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I've got to hand it to Palace, they are desperately trying to snap me out of this listless funk I seem to have found myself in.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I'll remember that penalty save much longer than the result. Traditional away defeat is fine but old chavface making it 3-0, and no doubt giving it large in front of us, would have grumped me off. Albion keeper saving an England captain's penalty at Goodison. Come a long way etc etc.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So you watched all his PL games for Leicester? He was also only just 23 then, so hardly the finished article.
He was offered a 4 year contract by Leicester, so they deemed him good enough. You've got your facts wrong.

Surely the person who decides whether that's too disrespectful is the manager, and the manager picked him to play again.
Maybe, maybe not, but you said he 'probably finally confirmed he is not a Prem 'team' player' and that's a huge over-reaction.

At least you seem to now admit his past performances in the Prem do have some relevance to his overall rating as a Prem player. Not the finished article but they let him go on a free transfer. So no other Prem teams thought him good enough to have in their squad which suggests to me he wasn't considered good enough. Which fact is wrong?

A good manager covers for players actions, what they say in public and private are often different.

'Probably' and 'team' being the two significant words. :wink:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can’t win them all and an extremely tough game today given their team AND home form. Nice in to the next one. 3 pts from those 2 games is a brilliant return.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At least you seem to now admit his past performances in the Prem do have some relevance to his overall rating as a Prem player.
I'm not commenting on his past PL performances as I didn't see them, I'm just correcting you where you're wrong. Like here:

Not the finished article but they let him go on a free transfer.
No they didn't, his contract was up and they offered him a new contract and he turned it down.

So no other Prem teams thought him good enough to have in their squad which suggests to me he wasn't considered good enough. Which fact is wrong?
Well we don't know what other PL teams thought, I don't suppose they saw much of him. We know Leicester offered him a contract though.

A good manager covers for players actions, what they say in public and private are often different.
Sure, but if Chris was pissed off he could have dropped him, but he didn't.

'Probably' and 'team' being the two significant words. :wink:
I think 'finally confirmed' are the significant words, as though it's long been the suspicion that he's not a Prem team player, and this confirms it. It's nonsense.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Knockaert foul was right in front of me. You could see in his eyes just before something was gonna happen. Silly boy. Best thing for him he is away from the team for a bit.

Disgraceful.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm not commenting on his past PL performances as I didn't see them, I'm just correcting you where you're wrong. Like here:

No they didn't, his contract was up and they offered him a new contract and he turned it down.

Well we don't know what other PL teams thought, I don't suppose they saw much of him. We know Leicester offered him a contract though.

Sure, but if Chris was pissed off he could have dropped him, but he didn't.

I think 'finally confirmed' are the significant words, as though it's long been the suspicion that he's not a Prem team player, and this confirms it. It's nonsense.

For me his actions today were a step too far. He let his ego cloud his judgement putting himself before the team. He cost us any (admittedly slim) chance of getting back in the game and has reduced CH's selection options at a vital part of the season. This is not compatible with a #together philosophy. I expect he will be gone in the summer but I could be wrong!

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For me his actions today were a step too far. He let his ego cloud his judgement putting himself before the team. He cost us any (admittedly slim) chance of getting back in the game and has reduced CH's selection options at a vital part of the season. This is not compatible with a #together philosophy. I expect he will be gone in the summer but I could be wrong!

Bit of red mist immediately after being hit in the face (not deliberately). Stupid but it happens, especially to the more emotionally volatile.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Slim? Non existent. Brighton were out muscled from the first second.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Bit of red mist immediately after being hit in the face (not deliberately). Stupid but it happens, especially to the more emotionally volatile.

True but I get the impression CH gives Knocky a long leash due to his emotional nature. I expect a line is/will be drawn when it has a detrimental effect on the team.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Disappointing but given the position we are now in, we can afford one or two dud results away from home such as this one. Teams below us gained gained very little ground towards safety so that's a positive. Didn't see the Knockaert incident as couldn't get there unfortunately but that leaves us with March having to step up for several games now, not sure how I feel about that

With luck, it could be the making of Marchy this season... Or might he even try Locadia?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here