Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Underrated Films

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The Hunt with MM is a masterpiece.

Any film with Mikkelsen is usually decent, a lot of his Danish films are worth a watch, but as you say, people unfortunately don't on the whole do subtitles, which is a shame because most foreign films blow English language films out of the water imho.

Agreed. As opposed to his namesake Lars who has seemingly gone down the route of safe TV (Sherlock, House of Cards, The Team) which is a shame, given how good he was 10 years ago in Headhunters and The Killing.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Innerspace.

Blimey that takes me back. One of my first jobs was at the Horsham Arts Centre as an usher, and I sat through this about 8 times in a row and absolutely loved it every time. The next week they showed Batman which I watched once and then spent the rest of my shifts sitting in the foyer with a book; it is still ruddy awful.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Ridley Scott's Debut The Duellists is a stunning film visually with a wonderful cast, apparently was made on absolute shoestring...

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Two films, The Hunters and It's sequel The Wrong Path that came out of Scandanavia in the early to mid 90's. They kicked off the Scandi-noir thing and to my mind, have yet to be surpassed. I think the lead went onto play Wallander in the original series, which were great but he's never been better than in these two films. I urge you to seek them out, they are triumphant.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I quite enjoyed "Dead Man" starring Johnny Depp with a cameo appearance by Iggy Pop and soundtrack by Neil Young. Quirky western shot in black and white.

I also liked "Little Big Man" with Dustin Hoffman when I saw it about 35 years ago which is another western told from a Native American perspective. The mix of comedy and tragedy was well balanced and was also quite accurate in depicting little known aspects of Native American culture. I've just this second discovered that In 2014, Little Big Man was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.

Dead Man, yeah that's a great film, very surreal :thumbsup:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"Harold and Maude" starring Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon with a soundtrack by Cat Stevens. It's about a death obsessed introverted 20 year old (Cort) and the romantic relationship he develops with a vibrant life loving 79 year old (Ruth Gordon) who he met at a random funeral they had both attended. It wasn't commercially or critically successful at the time (1971) but I've just this second discovered that this film was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress in 1997, for being culturally, historically or aesthetically significant which is what I also discovered about the previous film I selected for this thread. I've always loved this film. I'm not going to do a spoiler but the scene which explains the value Maude puts on life is extremely moving and simply understated.

https://youtu.be/hR-OojNoVDgf

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"Johnny Got His Gun" (1971) An anti war film starring Timothy Bottoms. About a seriously wounded soldier in WW1 lying in a hospital bed who is a quaruple amputee, who's also lost his entire face, eyes, ears, mouth and nose. He retains the power of reason and thought and has an awareness of his predicament but is unable to communicate his thoughts to those around him.

I've only seen this film once about 40 years ago but it remained with me and I always wanted to see it again.

Just discovered that Metallica bought the rights to this film because they used clips from the film for the video of their song "One" and they didn't want to keep paying royalty fees.

https://youtu.be/WM8bTdBs-cw

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Rita Sue and Bob Too.

“ I thought I were great “

Watched it with the northern side of the family 30 years in Stockport on video.

“Get your own f..ucking tea”

Going to watch it again now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here