Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jim Davidson on Piers Morgan's Life Stories

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Next thing we'll be told that, that cock grew up in Sussex, and always had a soft spot for the Albion.
Oh wait, just like Piers Morgan.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Didn't Jim Davidson get banned from ever performing again in Worthing a few years back

One of the very few things this town has got right......

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't see the point in it. JD refused to move on, like Bernard Manning, standing up for the right to make a joke out of race in a derisory way and continuing to supporting negative racial bias/stereotypes. Funny at the time, along with Love Thy Neighbour, Alf Garnet, On The Buses etc, but not any more. I think the only show that was clever enough to pull off 'race parody' type humour was Rising Damp. Rossiter's character was both odious and unlikable, difficult to empathise with, unlike white roles in other shows that seemed to reflect the social acceptance of biases at the time. IMHO.

Not sure how you can put Till Death Us Do Part in the same bracket at Love Thy Neighbour and On the Buses. TDUDP was quite clearly a clever parody. You didn't laugh with the character of Alf Garnet, you laughed at him and his views.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Unless I've missed the bit where the people walking out have publicly expressed their distaste to the media, I fail to see how this is 'column inches for the PC brigade'? I'be just done a quick search and it all looks to have been reported pretty much straight up no?

I think he means this thread!

I love the irony that he is complaining and PC brigade column inches while himself starting a thread to give the story more air time.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Not sure how you can put Till Death Us Do Part in the same bracket at Love Thy Neighbour and On the Buses. TDUDP was quite clearly a clever parody. You didn't laugh with the character of Alf Garnet, you laughed at him and his views.

Absolutely, although the amount of people who it seems don't realise this is a little worrying.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Fair point, Garnet shouldn't have been in that list, certainly not anything like the other two. Think I was stretching the net when it came to examples.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Next thing we'll be told that, that cock grew up in Sussex, and always had a soft spot for the Albion.
Oh wait, just like Piers Morgan.

I notice he used the answer that all plastics do when asked why don't they support their local club:

'Why don't you support Brighton then?'
'Oh, i've always supported Arsenal'

They never actually answer the question do they?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I notice he used the answer that all plastics do when asked why don't they support their local club:

Absolutely right, just goes to show the shallowness of these types!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I'm absolutely thrilled he supports Arsenal. Imagine the horror and embarrassment of him supporting us. It's a bit like if, say, Nigel Farage announced he was a Palace fa....oh.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn't it a programme reviewing the career of Jim Davidson? 'Chalky' was part of that career, so he was asked about it, and replied in character. As part of the past. The past which is no longer part of the present.
As in, 'This is what I used to do, and why' - not that I intend to carry on doing it now.

Like, if Warren Mitchell could come back to be interviewed, and was asked about his on-screen relationship with Tony Booth, replied, "Yeh, I used to call him [reverts into character] a randy scarss git" would that have to be vilified, just because it wouldn't be acceptable language now? Just saying what used to happen, or what it was OK to say back then isn't tryng to bring it back into modern acceptance - it's just saying what was acceptable............back then. It's called history................

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Wasn't it a programme reviewing the career of Jim Davidson? 'Chalky' was part of that career, so he was asked about it, and replied in character. As part of the past. The past which is no longer part of the present.
As in, 'This is what I used to do, and why' - not that I intend to carry on doing it now.

Like, if Warren Mitchell could come back to be interviewed, and was asked about his on-screen relationship with Tony Booth, replied, "Yeh, I used to call him [reverts into character] a randy scarss git" would that have to be vilified, just because it wouldn't be acceptable language now? Just saying what used to happen, or what it was OK to say back then isn't tryng to bring it back into modern acceptance - it's just saying what was acceptable............back then. It's called history................

I've not seen this hellish abomination of a show so I don't know what occurred.

But are you really trying to stick up for Jim Davidson? About anything? It's not just that he's a horrible racist, sexist scumbag with the self awareness of the cat shit I cleaned off my astroturf earlier, it's..... Well actually it is all that, but it's also that he's NEVER been funny.

He's just a nasty, bitter dickhead who made a career out of being a nasty, bitter dickhead when telling "jokes" about people who were different was acceptable and appealed to basic, uneducated, scared people.

It is called history, fortunately as thick ***** like him can't make a living spouting bile dressed up as comedy any more. It's also called progress.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've not seen this hellish abomination of a show so I don't know what occurred.

But are you really trying to stick up for Jim Davidson? About anything? It's not just that he's a horrible racist, sexist scumbag with the self awareness of the cat shit I cleaned off my astroturf earlier, it's..... Well actually it is all that, but it's also that he's NEVER been funny.

He's just a nasty, bitter dickhead who made a career out of telling "jokes" about people who were different when it was acceptable and appealed to basic, uneducated, scared people.

It is called history, fortunately as thick ***** like him can't make a living spouting bile dressed up as comedy any more. It's also called progress.
No, I haven't seen the programme, but that is what I understood he said. It was acceptable at the time (even though it shouldn't have been) and that's what he did. And that's the absolute truth.
I'm not 'defending' anything - you'd have to be a bit prejudiced to think I did. What he did was considered acceptable at the time. It wouldn't be now. But when his history is being discussed, 'Chalky' was a part of his history.
HISTORY. You know, that's that stuff that's in the past. Mentioning what is in the past is essential when looking at history. Pretending it never happened, air-brushing it out, is what holocaust denial nutjobs do.
As far as I know, Davidson doesn't have much of a career any more; nor do most other 1970s comedians (those that are still alive), basically because people don't find that stuff funny any more. What happened in the 70s still happened though. And all the outrage in the world can't change that.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
No, I haven't seen the programme, but that is what I understood he said. It was acceptable at the time (even though it shouldn't have been) and that's what he did. And that's the absolute truth.
I'm not 'defending' anything - you'd have to be a bit prejudiced to think I did. What he did was considered acceptable at the time. It wouldn't be now. But when his history is being discussed, 'Chalky' was a part of his history.
HISTORY. You know, that's that stuff that's in the past. Mentioning what is in the past is essential when looking at history. Pretending it never happened, air-brushing it out, is what holocaust denial nutjobs do.
As far as I know, Davidson doesn't have much of a career any more; nor do most other 1970s comedians (those that are still alive), basically because people don't find that stuff funny any more. What happened in the 70s still happened though. And all the outrage in the world can't change that.

Yes, I completely agree that the past should be accepted for what it was. Nothing should ever be airbrushed or rewritten.

My main point was that Davidson was seen as a moronic, lowest common denominator, unfunny, dickhead at the time as well by lots of people. I remember him as a kid. My mum and every other adult I knew cringed at his stuff back then.

You highlighted me saying his material was acceptable, but not by whom. Enough people actually found him offensive at the time. Fortunately, or we'd never have moved on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
'You' might not have laughed 'with' the character of Alf Garnett. Millions did, and tuned in week after week not realising he was the one being ridiculed. And even back then there were some of us who didn't laugh at all - we just thought he was a nasty little shite.
Many of those millions of viewers back then would have put all three in exactly the same bracket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here