Two worthy finalists in NSC's World's Hardest Creature To Like contest
    Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Its All Too Beautiful Brighton Mod's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I've not seen this hellish abomination of a show so I don't know what occurred.

But are you really trying to stick up for Jim Davidson? About anything? It's not just that he's a horrible racist, sexist scumbag with the self awareness of the cat shit I cleaned off my astroturf earlier, it's..... Well actually it is all that, but it's also that he's NEVER been funny.

He's just a nasty, bitter dickhead who made a career out of being a nasty, bitter dickhead when telling "jokes" about people who were different was acceptable and appealed to basic, uneducated, scared people.

It is called history, fortunately as thick ***** like him can't make a living spouting bile dressed up as comedy any more. It's also called progress.
      I seem to recall that he has done a lot of charity work as well as entertaining troops in theatre. Its not all bad, if you don't like him, don't watch him. I myself find James Corden particularly inane and unfunny so never watch him. Its quite easy. What do you make of this, truthful or racist?

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Mod View Post
      I seem to recall that he has done a lot of charity work as well as entertaining troops in theatre. Its not all bad, if you don't like him, don't watch him. I myself find James Corden particularly inane and unfunny so never watch him. Its quite easy. What do you make of this, truthful or racist?

James Corden makes Mr Blobby look witty

0 Not allowed!
      Stalin used to visit the troops.
      Love Great Britain
      Love the EU
      Love Inclusion and Progression.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bob'n'weave View Post
      Don't see the point in it. JD refused to move on, like Bernard Manning, standing up for the right to make a joke out of race in a derisory way and continuing to supporting negative racial bias/stereotypes. Funny at the time, along with Love Thy Neighbour, Alf Garnet, On The Buses etc, but not any more. I think the only show that was clever enough to pull off 'race parody' type humour was Rising Damp. Rossiter's character was both odious and unlikable, difficult to empathise with, unlike white roles in other shows that seemed to reflect the social acceptance of biases at the time. IMHO.
      To be fair, love they neighbour was a very clever way, as was till death us do part, in showing how it was and the main characters being derided in their prejudice.

In love thy neighbour, the northerner who had such views was derided by both black leads and his wife, who all showed that he was alone in his views. Btw. The black actor is in East Enders.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      Stalin used to visit the troops.
      Was he a comedian?
      Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Mod View Post

That YouTube clip is a bit oddly titled. He doesn't destroy Richard Bacon at all.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clapham_gull View Post
      That YouTube clip is a bit oddly titled. He doesn't destroy Richard Bacon at all.
      I think someone mentioned misleading youtube titles on that Milo thread. On another forum, someone posted a Milo vid with a title about him leaving someone in a sobbing heap. No such thing. But then again who would watch a vid entitled 'two bitter tits try to out clever each other'? Its all about the view numbers purporting to give credibility.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clapham_gull View Post

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk
      Its subjective and I didn't intend to highlight the title, only its content, so that some balance could be brought to the thread.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      Yes, I completely agree that the past should be accepted for what it was. Nothing should ever be airbrushed or rewritten.

My main point was that Davidson was seen as a moronic, lowest common denominator, unfunny, dickhead at the time as well by lots of people. I remember him as a kid. My mum and every other adult I knew cringed at his stuff back then.

You highlighted me saying his material was acceptable, but not by whom. Enough people actually found him offensive at the time. Fortunately, or we'd never have moved on.
      Couldn’t stand him but arguably Britain’s top stand up comedian in his day. Check it out.
      So, many, many thanks and see you soon, because it’s not a goodbye, I know I will come back, I have to.