Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jim Davidson on Piers Morgan's Life Stories

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, I completely agree that the past should be accepted for what it was. Nothing should ever be airbrushed or rewritten.

My main point was that Davidson was seen as a moronic, lowest common denominator, unfunny, dickhead at the time as well by lots of people. I remember him as a kid. My mum and every other adult I knew cringed at his stuff back then.

You highlighted me saying his material was acceptable, but not by whom. Enough people actually found him offensive at the time. Fortunately, or we'd never have moved on.
Fair enough, but I think we'll have to differ about how many people found his comedy acceptable at the time.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fair enough, but I think we'll have to differ about how many people found his comedy acceptable at the time.
I'm not differing, I'm agreeing with you. It's just sad that there WERE so many people who accepted and embraced his vile crap back then.

As I said earlier, stupid, uneducated, scared, insular racist people found him funny because he pandered to their fears. There were lots of them. Fewer now. Which is a good thing.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Merry Christmas everybody."

"Merrry Christmas, Uncle Jim."

:wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza::wozza:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I think he means this thread!

I love the irony that he is complaining and PC brigade column inches while himself starting a thread to give the story more air time.

Exactly. Time and time again we see these tedious threads played out on here.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
In his defence, while he had many a personal issue and others issues, he did a ton of charity work, mostly for military charities back in the day. Visited those of us on patrol in the Falkland a number of times, giving up significant chunks of his time when he was at his most popular. He was / is not all bad. And absolutely no comparison to other certain charity personalities of his time.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't it a programme reviewing the career of Jim Davidson? 'Chalky' was part of that career, so he was asked about it, and replied in character. As part of the past. The past which is no longer part of the present.
As in, 'This is what I used to do, and why' - not that I intend to carry on doing it now.

Like, if Warren Mitchell could come back to be interviewed, and was asked about his on-screen relationship with Tony Booth, replied, "Yeh, I used to call him [reverts into character] a randy scarss git" would that have to be vilified, just because it wouldn't be acceptable language now? Just saying what used to happen, or what it was OK to say back then isn't tryng to bring it back into modern acceptance - it's just saying what was acceptable............back then. It's called history................

Exactly, there is some footage of Bernard Manning on the Parkinson show from the 70s cracking a racist gag and Parky is doubled up laughing. I wonder what he thinks when he sees it now?
It’s what it was then and no ones first thought was ‘are we allowed to laugh here’.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Media outlets reporting that a number of people, including a black husband and wife, walked out of the audience when Davidson did his 'Chalky' impersonation from the 1970's/80s.

Obviously this will always offend some people but in all seriousness why did they go in the first place, clearly by the very nature of the show is looking back this subject was always going to be raised?

More column inches for the PC brigade..........

Sounds like the perfect place to drop the bomb.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Not sure how you can put Till Death Us Do Part in the same bracket at Love Thy Neighbour and On the Buses. TDUDP was quite clearly a clever parody. You didn't laugh with the character of Alf Garnet, you laughed at him and his views.

This.He spent his time dreaming of a past based on colonial imperialism,of a Conservatism that never excised. The joke was always on him and his isolation even within his family. The picture of Churchill being the cross on his alter. A line I have never forgotten and always made me smile," Ive served under 13 different Prime Ministers man and boy and I've been piss poor under everyone of them". :)

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Not sure how you can put Till Death Us Do Part in the same bracket at Love Thy Neighbour and On the Buses. TDUDP was quite clearly a clever parody. You didn't laugh with the character of Alf Garnet, you laughed at him and his views.

i very much doubt you laugbed "at" alf.garnett and bis views when it was shown

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes, I completely agree that the past should be accepted for what it was. Nothing should ever be airbrushed or rewritten.

My main point was that Davidson was seen as a moronic, lowest common denominator, unfunny, dickhead at the time as well by lots of people. I remember him as a kid. My mum and every other adult I knew cringed at his stuff back then.

You highlighted me saying his material was acceptable, but not by whom. Enough people actually found him offensive at the time. Fortunately, or we'd never have moved on.

mate , you grew up in lewes , your mum and her friends may have cringed at his stuff , that doesnt mean all adults.cringed at his stuff.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
I've not seen this hellish abomination of a show so I don't know what occurred.

But are you really trying to stick up for Jim Davidson? About anything? It's not just that he's a horrible racist, sexist scumbag with the self awareness of the cat shit I cleaned off my astroturf earlier, it's..... Well actually it is all that, but it's also that he's NEVER been funny.

He's just a nasty, bitter dickhead who made a career out of being a nasty, bitter dickhead when telling "jokes" about people who were different was acceptable and appealed to basic, uneducated, scared people.

It is called history, fortunately as thick ***** like him can't make a living spouting bile dressed up as comedy any more. It's also called progress.

If he was no good or not funny, why was he a sell out for so many years?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm not differing, I'm agreeing with you. It's just sad that there WERE so many people who accepted and embraced his vile crap back then.

As I said earlier, stupid, uneducated, scared, insular racist people found him funny because he pandered to their fears. There were lots of them. Fewer now. Which is a good thing.

yet again i have to point out you grew up.in lewes , and some of those scared , insular, racist people dealt with what you have never experienced but feel qualified to arrogantly dismiss every day.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
In his defence, while he had many a personal issue and others issues, he did a ton of charity work, mostly for military charities back in the day. Visited those of us on patrol in the Falkland a number of times, giving up significant chunks of his time when he was at his most popular. He was / is not all bad. And absolutely no comparison to other certain charity personalities of his time.

Ah the Jimmy Saville defense.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
yet again i have to point out you grew up.in lewes , and some of those scared , insular, racist people dealt with what you have never experienced but feel qualified to arrogantly dismiss every day.
I've lived in Sheffield for over 25 years mate. I've experienced plenty of multiculturalism, good and bad. None of it's ever made me think that Jim Davidson is funny though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ah the Jimmy Saville defense.

I think you'll find the sentence, "And absolutely no comparison to other certain charity personalities of his time" in the post you are replying to specifically rules out the 'Jimmy Saville defence' in this case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here