Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jim Davidson on Piers Morgan's Life Stories

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I've not seen this hellish abomination of a show so I don't know what occurred.

But are you really trying to stick up for Jim Davidson? About anything? It's not just that he's a horrible racist, sexist scumbag with the self awareness of the cat shit I cleaned off my astroturf earlier, it's..... Well actually it is all that, but it's also that he's NEVER been funny.

He's just a nasty, bitter dickhead who made a career out of being a nasty, bitter dickhead when telling "jokes" about people who were different was acceptable and appealed to basic, uneducated, scared people.

It is called history, fortunately as thick ***** like him can't make a living spouting bile dressed up as comedy any more. It's also called progress.

I seem to recall that he has done a lot of charity work as well as entertaining troops in theatre. Its not all bad, if you don't like him, don't watch him. I myself find James Corden particularly inane and unfunny so never watch him. Its quite easy. What do you make of this, truthful or racist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTPNsvABGFk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I seem to recall that he has done a lot of charity work as well as entertaining troops in theatre. Its not all bad, if you don't like him, don't watch him. I myself find James Corden particularly inane and unfunny so never watch him. Its quite easy. What do you make of this, truthful or racist?

James Corden makes Mr Blobby look witty

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don't see the point in it. JD refused to move on, like Bernard Manning, standing up for the right to make a joke out of race in a derisory way and continuing to supporting negative racial bias/stereotypes. Funny at the time, along with Love Thy Neighbour, Alf Garnet, On The Buses etc, but not any more. I think the only show that was clever enough to pull off 'race parody' type humour was Rising Damp. Rossiter's character was both odious and unlikable, difficult to empathise with, unlike white roles in other shows that seemed to reflect the social acceptance of biases at the time. IMHO.

To be fair, love they neighbour was a very clever way, as was till death us do part, in showing how it was and the main characters being derided in their prejudice.

In love thy neighbour, the northerner who had such views was derided by both black leads and his wife, who all showed that he was alone in his views. Btw. The black actor is in East Enders.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

That YouTube clip is a bit oddly titled. He doesn't destroy Richard Bacon at all.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That YouTube clip is a bit oddly titled. He doesn't destroy Richard Bacon at all.

I think someone mentioned misleading youtube titles on that Milo thread. On another forum, someone posted a Milo vid with a title about him leaving someone in a sobbing heap. No such thing. But then again who would watch a vid entitled 'two bitter tits try to out clever each other'? Its all about the view numbers purporting to give credibility.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes, I completely agree that the past should be accepted for what it was. Nothing should ever be airbrushed or rewritten.

My main point was that Davidson was seen as a moronic, lowest common denominator, unfunny, dickhead at the time as well by lots of people. I remember him as a kid. My mum and every other adult I knew cringed at his stuff back then.

You highlighted me saying his material was acceptable, but not by whom. Enough people actually found him offensive at the time. Fortunately, or we'd never have moved on.

Couldn’t stand him but arguably Britain’s top stand up comedian in his day. Check it out.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well we can all judge for ourselves, it's on telly shortly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Its subjective and I didn't intend to highlight the title, only its content, so that some balance could be brought to the thread.
No worries. I think I listened to it live years ago.

Problem is Mr Davidson could quite easily "defend" himself but can't help sounding like an arse.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Its subjective and I didn't intend to highlight the title, only its content, so that some balance could be brought to the thread.
If that's the best clip you can find to show JD in a better light then it's not surprising that most people think he's a ****.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not sure it's entirely fair, all the scorn that's poured on Jim Davison.

He was extremely successful at the height of his career because a lot of people found him funny. His humour was a reflection of what we all found acceptable. I dare say a lot of people in this thread, myself included, used to enjoy his shows and found him funny.

Times have changed, we're all a bit older and wiser, Davison included but it would be a complete lie to say that he has never been funny and, just my opinion, but it's a bit hypocritical to sneer at him if in the past, he made you laugh.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I know. Don't get your point blud.

Well it goes like this innit. If he was the top comedian then more people enjoyed his brand of humour than anyone else’s. Imagine this world where the majority of people who compared to today’s standards are now called racist.

Whoooaaaarrrhhhhh.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well it goes like this innit. If he was the top comedian then more people enjoyed his brand of humour than anyone else’s. Imagine this world where the majority of people who compared to today’s standards are now called racist.

Whoooaaaarrrhhhhh.
Exactly. He's become a hate figure for all the things that we dislike about 70s/80s humour when most of us were complicit in it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure it's entirely fair, all the scorn that's poured on Jim Davison.

He was extremely successful at the height of his career because a lot of people found him funny. His humour was a reflection of what we all found acceptable. I dare say a lot of people in this thread, myself included, used to enjoy his shows and found him funny.

Times have changed, we're all a bit older and wiser, Davison included but it would be a complete lie to say that he has never been funny and, just my opinion, but it's a bit hypocritical to sneer at him if in the past, he made you laugh.

He was hugely popular in the 70s regardless of what anyone thinks......vividly remember my parents and their pals loving him. He was funny at the time, but things have moved on. You can’t judge his humour then on today’s standards - he wasn’t the only one doing stuff like that. Manning, Reid, Miller, Carson et al did stuff that would now be judged offensive at best.

Was seen as a ‘good bloke’ because he openly did a lot of gigs for troops. Up the Elephant and Round the Castle was a colossal pile of **** though [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
If that's the best clip you can find to show JD in a better light then it's not surprising that most people think he's a ****.

I havn't canvassed most people and have the ability to draw my own judgement. Much has changed in my lifetime, much for the better and some for the worse, so the clip showed JD explaining of how some issues that were funny in the past are no longer funny now. He highlighted the BBC not apologising for the 'Black and White Minstrels Show' every time it came on air, which was relevant to interview.
If you don't like JD, don't listen to or watch him and caution yourself on the subject of any conversation you have on the terraces, in the pub or at work, because I don't doubt that every day you cross somebodies 'offended line', its just the times we live in.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here