Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Old time favourites

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My dad would feast on dripping sandwiches when I were a boy:sick: whereas my mum liked bread pudding:sick::sick:
A proper home made rice pudding, with a touch of cinnamon on the skin....or apple pie and custard....another vote for spotted dick.....how about proper bubble and squeak for a Monday evening meal?
I must get some spam fritters

I would say 4 days a week I have dripping on toast for breakfast and about once a month wife makes a bread pudding The problem with bread pudding is that bread nowadays from supermarkets tends to go mildew before it goes hard and stale, which is best for bread pudding wife says.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would say 4 days a week I have dripping on toast for breakfast and about once a month wife makes a bread pudding The problem with bread pudding is that bread nowadays from supermarkets tends to go mildew before it goes hard and stale, which is best for bread pudding wife says.
That's nothing to doo with it being supermarket bread, it's all about it being sliced bread. The in-house baked un-sliced white loaves you can buy in any supermarket are fine for bread pudding (and I'm speaking as one who makes excellent bread puddings!)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's nothing to doo with it being supermarket bread, it's all about it being sliced bread. The in-house baked un-sliced white loaves you can buy in any supermarket are fine for bread pudding (and I'm speaking as one who makes excellent bread puddings!)[/QUOTE

Thanks for that tip as I usually buy 1 uncut loaf and have it sliced for sandwiches etc and 1 sliced cheap loaf for toast so will add a 2nd unsliced loaf to leave to get stale

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yeah you're right, I think I had Rum baba in my head because of one of Mickey Flanagan's tales...........and of course the 'Brown Derby'. Don't know if you can still get your hands on a Bender though. :laugh:

View attachment 95014

The International Grill was a bit pricey, had to go for something cheaper and what on earth was a shanty, don't remember that and I worked in the Tunbridge Wells Wimpy washing up.
25p for a Knickabocker Glory, you could'nt get the cherry on the top for 25p now.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I am not surprised.
As a treat, back in the 80's, we used to have Vesta Chow Mein once a month.
Thinking back to it now it was appalling.
I am a pudding person, there is not one I don't like, so I will throw in a Knickabocker Glory.
Used to love one in Wimpy or that type of place.

Oh God, it was the Chow Mein that I cooked (for want of a better word). I remember burning the noodle things :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here